and one more question - credit cards

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2018, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the guide books say that many restaurants don't accept credit cards - is this true in the more expensive ones as well? thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 07:08 PM

Most restaurants in Thailand do accept credit cards. (How old are your guidebooks?) The exception would be street carts. Do make sure your credit card issuer knows you will be using your cards in Thailand - same thing for your ATM cards.
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

The guidebooks are theoretically from 2016 - but guess they haven't been updated in a while. good to know - thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2018, 05:14 PM

I guess not. Most restaurants accepting credit cards has been true since my first visit to Thailand in the 1980s!
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 04:23 AM

We ate in local restaurants most of the times and none of them accepted credit cards. The larger restaurants and tourist oriented restaurants, of course, do accept credit cards.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 07:06 AM

I always go prepared to pay cash, but prefer cc.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 07:42 AM

Interesting what different experiences we've had. I have several little "hole in the wall" places I've eaten at for years that have always accepted credit cards. Though like Bob, I do go prepared to pay cash, especially if it is a place I haven't been before.

World ahead, were the places you ate that din't accept credit cards street stalls?
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

any favorite little/local places near the Peninsula in Bangkok, or in Chiang Mai that you recommend?
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 10:09 PM

@Kathie
They weren't street stalls but it could've been a coincidence. As you said, it were places I hadn't visited before...

@lauramsgarden
We always go back to Pe'aor in Bangkok and Aroon Rai's in Chiang Mai.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 03:03 AM

The more up market the restaurant, the more likely it is to take credit cards or other forms of plastic.
An ordinary roadside eatery is unlikely to have any such facility, but as you meal is going to be less than 100 baht per head, I doubt if that would present a problem.
It's always useful to carry a bit of cash - for tips etc etc
many small places will be embarrassed if you try to pay with a 1000 baht note or even a 500 as they won't have the change.
I suppose a rule of thumb might be, if they can afford air-con they can afford a credit card connection.....and prices to cover.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 06:39 AM

Laura, Harmonique is an old favorite. It is across the river from the Pen. It is a little hard to describe where it is - it is close to the post office. Let me know if you want more explicit directions.

I have no recommendations for Chiang Mai.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

which leads to the other crucial question - what are the tipping norms for restaurants?
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie, I think I read about that in a recent trip report - will give it a try....
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 10:18 PM

Tipping isn't a big part of Thai day-to-day life in respect to waiters etc......in fact a lots of staff like that are treated with an embarrassing amount of distain by some people.

In areas that are frequented by western tourists though the expectation of tips has become the norm.
As I rough guide, I'd say around 5% varied according to how good the service might have been.
I think the US custom of paying the waiters' salary in tips doesn't apply.
It is worth bearing in mind that the minimum wage is between 300 & 310 baht for an 8 hour day. ($9 to $10).... so perhaps that will give you a guide to how much in real-life you are tipping.
Examples of small tips.....
In small (roadside) places 20 baht is sufficient regardless of price. ( Once had a meal with a customer and the total was 12000 baht for about 10 people. He paid the 4 waiting staff 20 baht each).
If they clean your windscreen at a gas station 10 to 20 baht
If you buy some flowers to hang on your mirror at traffic lights they are 20 baht - give the old ones back for recycling.

Always pays yo have a few 20 baht notes handy for security guards at car parks etc at your discretion.... I've been tipping the guys at Suvarnabhumi for years and almost always get to park right at the front near the entrance to the airport.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Khunwilko - that is so helpful. how about doormen/"bell boys" in hotels? and taxis? what is the custom re tipping with them?
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by lauramsgarden
Thanks so much Khunwilko - that is so helpful. how about doormen/"bell boys" in hotels? and taxis? what is the custom re tipping with them?
As mentioned, just keep a stock of loose change - 20 baht notes and hand out whenever you feel like it.
in the posher hotels they may expect more.
As for taxis, I don't use them very much but I would only tip if they had gone out of their way to help.

BTW - there is a Thai "tradition" that if you are well off, you don't need to pick up coins..... so quite often if I get my change - e.g. in a plastic folder, I usually leave any coin in there regardless of how much it actually is.
You will also find that people will make sure that there are several 20 baht notes in your change if thy want a tip at a bar or somewhere....for example, this means you don't have to give them a 100 baht for a 200 baht meal but you have the choice of leaving one or two 20 baht bills or just the coins.

in my mind, there are 2 kinds of tip. One is just a simple gratuity, but the other kind is when you want them to do something extra or they already have been extra helpful.