Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ammenties for coach passengers on Air China?

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is provided in the way of ammenities to coach passengers on Air China?

Some specific things I'd like to know about:

Eye masks to block light?
Paper slippers or sock-like foot covers?
Pillows?
Flight blankets?
Damp, warm washcloths at certain times during the flight (like prior to landing)?

Are the usual free beverages & water readily available at any time upon request?

For flights departing SFO in mid-afternoon, when are meals and/or snacks served (are they considered dinner and breakfast, or lunch or what?) and at what time?

Thanks for a any info!
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 02:05 AM

Not such a popular airline and I've not flown them. But...in economy on any airline, I've not seen eye masks or slippers of any sort. Business class, sure, but not economy. Pillows in economy are typically small, and I always bring my own neck pillow. Blankets I'd expect to see on international flights. Damp washcloths...perhaps a damp paper towel wrapped in plastic.

If meal choice and time of service is important to you, you might phone the airline about that. As a rule, economy offers two choices, one meal served when cruising altitude has been reached, and another served about 2 hours out from arrival. Snacks have been eliminated by many airlines, even on long hauls. Beverages are available, but often you will have to get up to request them, which is good for you anyway to prevent DVT.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Well, we have always flown economy (coach) to anywhere, and we have rec'd. eyemasks, earplugs, & damp, warm washcloths a few times. (The best little "packet" was on Air Tahiti Nui.)

As for the beverages, I read someone else's post a while back and they complained about difficulties getting anything to drink. So just thought I'd ask just so we'd be prepared.

I did manage to find out dinner will be served 2 1/2 or 3 hrs. after takeoff and breakfast about 2 1/2 or 3 hrs. before landing. I almost wish they would reverse those meals so we'd be eating more in line w/the time frame we'll be arriving in.

Thanks for responding.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Air China amenities = a seat and maybe some edible food (the latter not so much a guarantee as the former.)

Just having returned from China on an Air China flight (in biz class) all I can say is a many others before me have said: lower your expectations...and then lower that expectation about 50% and you'll be just fine.

Not the worst airline by any means. It'll get you there in one piece and that's about all I can say for it.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 07:48 PM

seat belts usually
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:15 AM

Bob...back in the early 80's, seat belts seemed "optional"..never a guarantee they were workable. DC-3's, oranges and wrapped hard candy were a given, though
Geetings to Nee-dum.
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Well, getting a seat and getting there safely is the most important thing, so we'll make the best of it! Thanks.