Amandari or FS Sayan?

Dec 9th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Amandari or FS Sayan?

Has anyone been recently to these hotels? I have read great reviews of the FS Sayan, but my travel agent just returned from Bali and says she heard some complaints about service and attitude. I haven't seen any recent information about Amandari (but lots on Amankila). Which hotel would you choose in the Ubud area, after 3 days at the coast? We're looking for something small and luxurious with a spa and a great view from our room terrace. Thanks for any information.
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:41 PM

I LOVE Aman properties...but IMO they appeal most to people who like boutique properties. Hence, the choice should really be driven by the tupe of hotels you have liked in other locations - the FS Sayan is stunning - set on the Ayung river with rooms dotting the face of the cliff - the Amandari is equally picturesque but obviously much smaller hence less people seen, interacted with, etc.
Dec 12th, 2004, 08:43 PM

Both are in lovely settings, though if it is stunning views you are after, FS may be the right choice.

Personally, we like Amandari (and Amankila and all the other Amans) because the service is more intimate and attentive. If you want to be truly pampered, go Aman. If you just want the view, go FS.
Dec 13th, 2004, 11:56 AM

The FS Sayan is terrific both in setting, rooms and food (though we eat out 2 of 5 nights). We have stayed at the Aman Sayan, the one in Phuket and found them elegant but to "sterile" for us.
Day trips from Sayan to the rice fields, monkey preserve are just great. A local tour company can provide that at 50% of the cost of going through the hotel.I think we paid $10/hr. for guide/driver and well A/C comfortable van.Enjoy.
Dec 13th, 2004, 02:27 PM

I am an Aman junkie (in fact, I'm heading for Amanpulo in the Philippines tomorrow for 10 days), but I must say that I really do favor the Four Seasons Sayan over Amandari. I just stayed at FS Sayan last May and it was my 4th time. BUT, avoid the FS Jimbaran Bay it is totally overhyped and in an awful location overlooking the airport. To me, the perfect Bali combination is the Four Seasons Sayan followed by a few days on the beach at Amankila.
Dec 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the candid information. We decided to go with 3 nights at Amankila, then 4 nights at FS Sayan in a riverfront villa. We have been wanting to try a FS and this looks like one of the best. I think it will be a good balance to Amankila, while two Amans might not have been much of a contrast. A word to others considering the FS resorts in Asia- through May 31st they have a promotion where you get a $250 resort credit if you stay 4 nights. We're just going to miss this (we'll be there early june), but it sounds like a good perk.
Dec 13th, 2004, 03:00 PM

europhile; I think you made a great decision.Have a great time! Make sue you tour Ubad, the rice fields,etc.