Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

ALL the polpular hotels around Marine Drive in Mumbai are SOLD OUT! PLEASE HELP!!

Search

ALL the polpular hotels around Marine Drive in Mumbai are SOLD OUT! PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a last minute, first time visit to Mumbai for 4 days starting on March 17. Looks like the best location to stay in town is around Marine drive but the the Oberoi, Intercontinental, Taj Mahal, and the Hilton Towers are all sold out! any suggestions on upscale hotels in the area would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:57 AM

Check out the second Taj property, the President. Also, Gordon House in Colaba. Also the ambassador Hotel. Both Gordon House and the Ambassador are a step down from the ones you mentioned in terms of quality though locations comparable.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

When I first called, the lady from the Taj President reservations said that the property was sold out. So I offered to pay her a little extra and take care of her if she could some how find me a room! Then guess what happened? she transferred my call to her manager who told me that he actually had one executive room available, but kept telling me that he wouldn't take the whatever you want to call it. But I have a feeling he'll be aiting for me at the reception desk as I arrive!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:27 PM

I doubt it. The Taj chain in India is a very reputed one (they now own the W in Sydney and manage the Pierre in NY) and their staff is trained professionals. Maybe your desperation came thru on the phone or maybe you initially did not ask for en exec room. Anyway, have a good trip. ENJOY - Mumbai is one of my fav cities in the world!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank a lot!

BTW, I just checked the Oberoi's website and they seem to have had a bunch of cancellations, maybe some convention was cancelled-they actually have rooms available now!

I usually never go further than Europe when I go on vacations and I actually never thought I'd go to India. But this time I was looking for a place that's really warm, and really different!

Bombay, here I come!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot not "thank" ugh!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Wonderful advice mnss from Hobbes. We took it in planning our trip to India last December and are so grateful . The Gordon House Hotel was very good but a little noisy .Wonderful location .Fabulous amenities kits , great coffee if made from espresso machine for breakfast, tasty food . I agree that Mumbai was / is a wonderful city and Colaba is the place to stay . It reminded me in some ways of Hong Kong of old on our first night .Colaba Causeway full of traffic - double decker buses , old taxis, drivers with hands on car horns ,horse - drawn carriages,night markets under the roofed verandahs along the road , temple ceremonies , hawkers , fruit stalls and fabulous shops. Do not miss the silver market / shops in Colaba - some wonderful jewellery , objet at very good prices ( beautiful solid silver pomegranate with a slice out of it ). We ate local and the food was all wonderful , fresh and not a twinge of illness in 2 weeks . How could I pass up fresh pomegranate juice?
Have a great trip .

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Sounds great, thanks John!