Airline to Japan

Jan 23rd, 1999, 08:44 AM
Cathy

Airline to Japan

Any advice on which carrier to use? We are trying to decide between all nippon, japan air, united or northwest. thanks for your advice. Cathy

Jan 29th, 1999, 07:31 AM
jenny

I've never been to Japan so I wouldn't know about airlines. I do know, however, that Continental flies direct from Houston or Newark. They are having a promotional freebie. A freebie to Tokyo for 25K frequent flier miles! i'm going with my entire family all on ff miles in march!

Feb 1st, 1999, 02:23 PM
Christine

I've been to Japan twice recently, on ANA and Northwest. I would definitly suggest a Japanese airline. All Nippon was great! They served lots of food, (your choice of Japanese or Western). The flight attendants were all Japanese and were very attentive and helpful. I also felt it was a good way to "ease" into the Japanese culture. Northwest was another story! The flight attendants were rude and cranky. The served very little food and only came around once with drinks (on a 14 hour flight!) I was so miserable and hungry when I got home, I vowed never again! I've heard Japan Airlines is supposed to be one of the best (my sister had a good flight with them). But if you want a US carrier, I'd suggest United. Good Luck

Feb 2nd, 1999, 05:21 AM
dan

I flew Japan Airlines to and from Narita, as well as Narita to Beijing. Let's just say this - I have flown at least a dozen airlines, and none compare to Japan Airlines. The service is fantastic. Here is an example: You know how you sometimes don't even get the whole can of soft drink on U.S. airlines. Well, when we went, my wife was a huge Diet Coke fan at the time. She asked for one, and the flight attendant said she thought they might be out but she would look. She managed to find a few. In fact, she brought us enough to last the whole 14 hour trip back to Chicago and brought us a dry ice pack to keep them all cold. The food was also a good introduction to Japan, and you will love getting to practice with chopsticks.

Feb 4th, 1999, 03:53 AM
sue

Well, Japan Air Line is great....fantastic Japanese food, best service.... but what you should remember is that THEY SMOKE IN THE CABIN!!!! For me, it was horrible to survive smoke....of course if you are a smoker, it will be a great trip!

Apr 19th, 1999, 08:03 AM
KB

JAL is a good choice, but 2 things you should know: 1) the coach seats are very small and uncomfortable, especially for a 14 hour flight (business class seats are very nice though); 2) all JAL flights are non-smoking starting April 1, 1999. Hope this helps.

Apr 22nd, 1999, 07:36 PM
Michael

Avoid the American airlines at all costs unless you are redeeming flyer points. Either of the Japanese airlines you will be fine with and you should experience what REAL service is.