Agra - 1 or 2 nights?

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agra - 1 or 2 nights?

Originally planned 2 nights but will most likely arrive by train at 6.00 am. Will 1 night be sufficient? VHS.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably. Ideally you visit the Taj at both dawn and dusk. I think you're doing Fatehpur Sikri on the way to Delhi, right?
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Doing Fatehpur Sikri on the way to Jaipur....??
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Oh, right - so long as you're doing it. I also enjoyed the bird park at Bharatpur, even though I'm not noramlly a bird watcher.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Is going directly from the train station to the Taj doable at 6.00 am'ish, then going on to check in hotel? Will be carrying back packs though.

Could then do Taj at sunset (after rest at hotel) and make an early start the next day fro Jaipur? VHS
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 03:12 PM

This site - asi.nic.in/writereaddata/sublinkimages/24.htm - says it opens at 6:00 am, but I don't know how up-to-date it is. Nor do I know what time sunrise is when you'll be there. I'd be inclined to stop by the hotel and leave the packs. Also, the Taj seems to be closed on Fridays.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

oh! bit trickier than I thought then.

We should arrive in Agra on Thursday am, 1st Feb so would still be good if sunrise times coincide. May not have enough time to drop bags off at hotel though - will check out the sight you mention....VHS
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Sunrise 07:04 according to -

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...my.html?n=1046

All depends on reliability of train time and distance/time between station, hotel and Taj. Going on everyone's comments on India, it will be a miracle if timings work out!
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM

we stayed two nites, but quite honestly one is fine if you have a full day there....the taj will take you 2-3 hours max and the baby taj about 45 min at the most....getting from one to another can take a long time because of traffic and road work between the two...it took us about one hour by private car...

there is not much else there quite honestly
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 07:21 AM

Another option is to leave your packs in the left luggage office at the station (cloakroom in Indian English). Agra Fort station is close to the fort (duh!) and I suppose you could also visit the fort before picking them up and heading for your hotel, although I'd be more inclined to head for the hotel and a shower.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 08:10 AM

I arrived Agra around 2PM. Dropped stuff at the hotel and then drove through Agra to the opposite side of the Yamuna river to see the Taj from across the river. I got my best photos from this vista.

Went to the Taj that evening, which was gorgeous--I was not expecting to be enthralled (being such a tourist site), but I was. Got up the next morning to see the Taj, but the fog was so dense, we skipped it. Went to Agra Fort--which was great. We then stopped at Fatehpur Sikri for a couple hours on the way to Jaipur (five hour drive). Don't miss Fatehpur Sikri, even if you only have an hour it is worth it.

One day is rushing it a bit, but you can do it if you plan and don't want any rest. However, as everyone always says...this is India and the best laid plans..... ;-)
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 08:13 AM

Oh, and don't miss Itimad-ub-Daulah's Tomb, the "Baby Taj" It is a Heritage site and such a jewel:

http://www.photosite.com/patpom/Indi...ndia2_037.html
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM

A night in Agra is fine. Incase you happen to arrive during the next few days, when the fog is immense, you may visit Fort Agra & Itmaduddaulah in the morning. Taj Mahal can be done in the afternoon, but I am afraid the light conditions for taking some remarkable pictures may not be good. Fatehpur Sikri can be done on way to Jaipur.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone (& Happy New Year!).

Due to arrive Thursday, 1st Feb 6.00 am from Varanasi (assuming I can book the overnight train). I also assume the weather will have improved and the fog will have lifted by then??

thursdaysd - I notice that there are 2 train stations in Agra - does the train from Varanasi definately come in to the Agra Fort station?

As the Taj is closed on Friday's (thanks for flagging this) we will need to see it on the day we arrive in Agra which means we will most probably leave Friday am for Jaipur and do Fatehpur Sikri en-route.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:04 AM

VHS - actually there are three stations in Agra! If you go this site - http://www.indianrail.gov.in/ - click on "Trains between important stations" and chose Varanasi and Agra Fort you'll see the train schedule. There appear to be no trains between Varanasi and the other two Agra stations.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

OK thanks thursdaysd - found the info and trying to work out how to book online - may take me a while! VHS.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd - at last, have booked train tickets - Varanasi to Agra Fort.

For anyone reading - a complete frustration to say the least!!

Attempted 3-4 times - registered successfully but got stuck on various pages for one reason or another and finished up ringing office direct in India. Was on the phone for 50 mins at goodness knows what cost, think I may have been charged twice (although I am advised I will get a refund in a few days?!?) and could only book 3AC Class.

Not sure what I have let myself and my travelling companions in for - husband & aunt, who have complete faith in my booking of the trip. I could have a lot of explaining to do!

All I now have left to do is find accommodation in Goa and Mumbai.......VHS
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Congrats and good luck! Back when I did this you couldn't book through the web site - I booked through the Ground Services Agent in the U.K. or in person in India. I thought head room was a bit lacking in 3AC, but at least it has AC. You may find you have all three bunks on one side, which would be convenient. You may want to take food on board with you (and definitely take water). I ate the veg thali that the attendants sell, which is nourishing and very cheap, but not what anyone would call gourmet. When do you leave?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Forgot to ask - do you want a place at the beach in Goa, or in Panaji?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:10 PM

1 night should be sufficient in Agra. We stayed for 2 nights because we were coming to Agra from Jaipur w/ a stopover in Fatehpur Sikri.

We did the Taj at sunrise. Met the driver at ~6:30 a.m. Spent several hours there. Then headed to Agra Fort. Had lunch. Then Sikandar (Akbar's Tomb)--it's a bit outside of Agra but do-able. We really like this place--beautiful geometric designs, deer park, and the best of all you're in the presence of the greatest mughal emperor (Ok, he's dead). Then we stopped briefly by some Hindu temple but it was still under construction. Around sunset, we went to the Baby Taj--very beautiful at sunset w/ all the inlaid marbles lit up. And made it just in time to back of the Taj for a view at sunset--a Bollywood film crew was filming there, but security was really high, as some big shot actor was there (supposedly the guy who's engaged to the former Miss Universe). They were chasing everyone out of that area. We were watching the sunset from the foundation of the legendary Black Taj that never was built. It was do-able in a day, and we took our time. Didn't feel rushed at all.

Have fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -