Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

affordable hotels in the golden triangle, india

Aug 11th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

i am dismayed by the prices i am being quoted in the three main cities of the golden triangle: delhi, agra and jaipur...

it is very discouraging to always see numbers over 250...granted this is for top quality hotels...i know there must be quality hotels catering to foreign tourists and business people at a lesser rate..

can fodorites suggest alternative hotels, of excellent quality, that might cost less in each of these locations?? unfortunately october-december is the time frame i am looking at when prices are at their peak...

seems to me that cleanliness and a comfortable bed are the two main objectives...

after SE Asia hotels this is discouraging...
thanks...

bob
Aug 11th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Bob, as I've said before, you cannot beat www.jasvilas.com for classy, top-value accommodation in Jaipur.

The rooms and public areas are lovely, the food is fabulous, the Nepalese & Indian management & staff are charming.
You'll kick yourself if you don't stay at Jas Vilas.

There are top quality establishments all over Rajasthan and Lily & Mahendra who own JasVilas can help with other first rate but good value accommodation. Email them from their website. They are great folks. You will save a lot of money if you take their advice. Or you can go the same way others do, and pay through the nose for "no atmosphere" chain hotels or "overhyped" places like the Rambagh Palace. The ball's in your court. Don't say I didn't give you the best piece of advice you'll get about accommodation & car/drivers in Rajasthan. These people at JasVilas know their stuff!
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:06 PM

Top notch hotels in India are expensive, Bob, much as the Pen and Oriental are in your fav city, Bkk - unfortunately, the mid market in India is not as well developed as in Bkk. Assume u have been looking at the likes of the Imperial in Delhi and the Oberoi Vilas properties. Jas Vilas is a great suggestion in Jaipur. Another small converted palace hotel we enjoyed in Jaipur was Raj Mahal. Just 14 rooms, gorgoues grounds, ask for one of their newly renovated rooms. In Delhi take a look at Claridges, a lovely stand alone property. Agra it is worth it to splurge on Amar Vilas - nothing else compares. Are u working with a travel agent? They can often get u better deals than what u see on websites.
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM

Bob- I'm paying $115 a night in Jaipur for the Samode Haveli. Looks very nice and is inside the walled city. I'll let you know in Sept!

Got the Imperial in Delhi at $129 on their web site with a 4 day special.

Agra was my splurge..Since I'm paying $40 the first night in Delhi and since Agra seems to be such a "difficult" city, I decided to go with the $300 a night Amarvilas. I figure for only one night, those views of the Taj Mahal will be worth it.
Aug 12th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks keep it coming....

i have a contact at compass tours in delhi courtesy of craig...i will hear back from them next week..
Aug 12th, 2005, 11:40 AM

My wife and I have just booked a 3 week holiday in India with a compay called Tailormade Holidays.

has anyone had any experiance with this company. They are now change hotels and they look to be less attractive than the original.

Any comment would be most helpful.
Aug 12th, 2005, 05:55 PM

I can't help you out, however, I was surprised myself on how expensive upper end hotels were in India..We stayed in a guesthouse in Delhi, which actually was very nice..(but it would not be what you are looking for)..In Agra and Jaipur we stayed in nice hotels, but if I were to go to Jaipur again I would definately stay at
www.jasvilas.com..However, it was a great experience to stay in lower end hotels just to try out something different!!

Having said that, when in Mandawa, we stayed in a lovely haveli called the Mandawa Haveli and at the Desert Resort, which I highly recommend if you happen to go to Mandawa..(which I also recommend a visit..it was my favorite place in Rajasthan)...Good luck planning, India is awesome!!
Aug 12th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Bob,
I understand your concern, we were surprised at the extraordinary price gap between the mid and top range in India.

The good news is that there are wonderful mid range properties (often run by the owners) where you have a great opportunity to meet and talk to people.

We stayed with friends in Delhi and didn't visit Agra but in Jaipur we stayed in Jasvilas and I agree with all of the recommendations here...Lily and Mahendra are very nice people and will give advice on shops, drivers, sites etc.

If you decide to go beyond the golden triangle I can recommend lots of heritage places as I'm sure can others.
Aug 12th, 2005, 09:25 PM

rhkkmk
Hello. I am experiencing the same discouragement as you. I am trying to book a hotel in delhi for 3 nights at the end of Dec. beginning Jan. I have personally called Claridges and the Imperial and surfed the net until my eyeballs are falling out of my head. I remember communicating with you about hotels in BKK about 18 months ago and had some wonderful experiences at destination hotels in BKK (Pen, Sukothai and Banyan Tree) and Phuket (JW Marriott)for very reasonable rates. Alas, Delhi is not the same. The best rates I have found are on eglobe-hotels.com. I made a request today for the Imperial and am awaiting a reply. Claridges quoted me the ridiculous rate of $250 over the phone but told me to e-mail my request. India does business like no other country, it seems. But, I am persevering!
Aug 12th, 2005, 10:03 PM

I am surprised at the high rates currently sought by 5-star deluxe hotels in Mumbai and Delhi. Things are certainly more expensive this year than they have been in the past couple of years. Obviously, there has been a surge in demand and the supply of rooms has not kept up, which is why they can get away with these unreasonably high prices.

A similar thing can be observed for air tickets. Lufthansa demands and gets away with high prices since they have the best routes to and from India. I am told the situation is expected to ease in favour of the consumer when more airlines initiate India operations later this year.