Advice re daughter and friend travel in Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been a long time since I participated in this forum; much good advice was given when I had asked for assistance, so here I go again.
My daughter Charlotte and her friend ( 18y.o) decided not to go to the usual post HSC exams schoolies at the Gold Coast in Australia but rather want to travel to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Last year they went to Vietnam and Cambodia as part of their school trip for two weeks but I realise it is a different ballgame when they travel independently compared to a supervised school group.
I am wondering whether to steer them towards a group/tour travel such as Gecko's or independent travel. I am particularly concerned about the Thailand leg as one hears some negative stories;after all they are two young girls on their own, although my daughters ( I have three) have travelled since they were tiny, both accompanied by us and independently.
Comments and/or specific suggestions for destinations and mode of travel and accommodation?
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 12:30 AM

Without knowing your daughter's personality or lifestyle I would take caution. There are a lot of vices readily available in the area like drugs and alcohol which could lead to unpleasant situations - I keep thinking of the film "Taken" but that was in France. Do you have friends living in the area? If you do then perhaps you can ask your friends to let your daughter and her friend stay with them.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 01:43 AM

Gecko's Intrepid Gap or www.tucantravel.com type

small group budget group tours would be better

than independent travel for me in potentially

dodgy asian countries situations particularly

for young people who arenot seasoned backpackers.

Reveiw consular advisories for a heads up

and trip insurance always wise.

Happy Hunting,
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 05:14 AM

Like any city, make sure they exercise greater caution (or completely avoid) walking at night especially in these 3rd world countries. Two young girls alone would be quite.an easy target.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 08:09 AM

For some people, group travel is the ticket (not for me, but my daughter has gone on several of these, and they just added Southeast Asia):

http://contiki.com/destinations
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm. Isn't Contiki known as the party tour in Europe? They might be better off on their own! Or look at Intrepid or Gecko.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM

If your daughters don't get into trouble at home, they should be able to easily avoid trouble in Thailand.

That said, a "group" holiday does keep one occupied!
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. They are both very level headed young women so I am not concerned about their behaviour or activities - more about that of others. Will look at Intrepid and Gecko and possibly suggest a tour combined with some 'free' time. Last time my other daughter ( admittedly older at 22) visited Bangkok she had a great time there and did a bicycle ride around the city and beyond; she stayed in a hotel suggested by Carol as far as I recall but cannot remember its name.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 11:55 PM

Some good advice here http://www.solotravel.org/women-travel-tips.htm