Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Brief Trip in March to Thailand/Cambodia?

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've been enjoying reading through the posts, but after a full day of trying to plan a vacation, I'm pretty confused still.

I only have approx. 1 week on the ground to travel in mid-March and I'd like to spend some time on the beach in Thailand and then 3 days near Angkor Wat. I know it's too short to be an ideal trip, but it's my first time to the area and I figure a short trip is better than nothing.

Given the season and short timeframe, which island would you recommend that I visit? And should I make travel arrangements to Siem Reap from home (Chicago) or when I get to Thailand?

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

I'm trying to extend my vacation so that we have some time to explore Bangkok. Would you recommend that we start our trip in Bangkok or go straight to the beach to work off the jet lag?

If we start in Bangkok, can we make our other arrangements (flight/hotel to island, flight to Siem Reap) from there?

Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:19 AM

You have such a short amount of time in SE Asia, do you really want to spend your time making travel arrangements while you are there? You can book your tickets to Siem Reap on the internet, Bangkok Air is the only airline that flies between Bangkok and Siem Reap.

I wouldn't spend fewer than three nights anywhere, and you'll be happier if you spend 4 nights each place. If you don't have enough time to do that, I'd suggest you stick with two locations, Bangkok and Siem Reap. If you can stretch your travel time to 2 weeks, you can add in a beach area. The Phuket side is having nice weather that time of the year. (See for yourself at www.weatherbase.com) There are areas of Phuket for every taste - from sleazy and honky-tonk to quiet and isolated.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Three days in Siem Reap for Angkor Wat is fine.
My recommendations, for some time on the beach, are well known on this site so I wont risk the usual hostility that often follows my posts.
One week in the area? Yes I would do Angkor and a Thai beach.
There is info on both these destinations on our site...take a look.
www.leightravelclub.com
Bangkok is exciting for sure, but after many years of visiting SEA,the islands of the south are the big draw for me.
I love Bangkok in small doses, but the south is the big pull for me!!
So with your limited time I would leave Bangkok for another day. After all, you say you are planning a vacation......for me, that means quality chill out time.
Whatever you decide,I expect SEA will captivate you, just like it has most of us who visit this site.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Spend some time in BKK. The beaches are very nice, but they are just beaches and are westernized. Bangkok is delightful and if you slow down, you can actually relax there. A key is to have a hotel with a comfortable pool. Just an hour or two in the late afternoon recharges ones battery.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help - I'm so excited, and already looking forward to being able to go again and spend more time.

I've read very positive things here about Koh Chang. Would that be a good alternative to Phuket? We're not looking for a wild and crazy time, just a nice beach, friendly interactions, and minimal hassles.

Also, do you have a suggestion for a Bangkok hotel similar to Old Bangkok Inn? It looks perfect, but I think they're booked up the dates we arrive.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM

for Siem Reap,do you have a guide booked yet. From this site, I got the name of a young man, Saroun (and have his email as he recently married) and he was wonderful. Because of the heat in mid-April and my interest in one very full day in Angkor Wat,we thought that 2 nights was sufficient. We stayed at the Shinta Mani (again gleaned from this site.) It was an exquisite experience and we gave a donation to support a young divorced mother through the hotel's hospitality program. We arived from BKK in the early evening. Saroun met us, introduced himself and we planned our time. We haddinner at Shinta Mani and we entertained by orphaned children who have learned traditional dance. The next morning, we left before dawn to watch the sun rise over Angkor, drive to 6 -7 of the most well known surounding temples; took a break at mid-day for a swim in the hotel's pool and a rest and then saw more until sunset. That night, my daughter (17) and I walked from the hotel to "town" and had a wondeful dinner and gave the bag of leftovers to the first child who looked hungry. The next day, we drove out to Tonle Sap and took a boat ride on the lake with a visit to the ecology center that Saroun supports. After that, we went to both Artisans d'Angkor schools, another lake and then to the airport. We took a duffle of school supplies with us donated by friends. It was sonkran when we were there and the schools were all closed. However, we stopped at manyvillages in and around Angkor Wat; got out and waited for the children to come over to us. It was amazing experience to give what little we had to these kids. To a one, each wey-ed in thanks, no one pushed,shoved or shouted and asked us to wait while theywent to get their very small siblings...there is an amazing spirit that permeates the khemer people. Obviously they are resolute and optimisitc, but they also share abelief system that encourages them to be open. anyway...enjoy