Advice needed: 21 days in SE Asia with a toddler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we have tickets booked to and from BKK for 21 nights in January, but nothing else booked. We were originally going to meet family in Thailand, but that just fell through so we are reconsidering our entire trip. Ideally we would do two weeks in Thailand and one week somewhere else. Phuket, Koh Lanta, Ko Samui, Chaing Mai then Bali, Singapore and Malaysia have been tossed around. We enjoy beaches, but also the city, don't want to spend the whole time at the beach, but also need to keep in mind we will be traveling with our one year old, so cannot travel like we did in our single days! I know it's a broad arena, but any advice on good family friendly destinations in SE Asia is appreciated! Places that are easy to get to from one another would be amazing, I am so glad that flight prices are so cheap to fly around Asia. Ideally we do not want to have to get a travel visa for any country we visit. TIA!
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whether you need a visa depends on your nationality, which you do not provide.
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 11:07 PM

Singapore would be fairly family friendly. Langkawi on the Andaman coast of Malaysia is a quieter, more southerly version of Phuket with a different culture, different food etc. some fantastic beaches and resorts there.

I like Chiang Mai but am not sure I would want to take a one year old there. Traffic is not great and there is no real public transport system to speak of apart from Sorngthaews. A resort out in the countryside might make a nice contrast to Bangkok or the beaches and the food up there is excellent.

As Thursdaysd says, it is difficult to comment re visas as you don’t provide your nationality but Malaysia and Singapore doesn’t require visas fro EU or US citizens. Places like Cambodia & Laos maybe worth considering but require a visa on arrival- $30_40 pp.

It will be the rainy season in Bali, but it rarely rains all the time and again, a different culture food etc. Bali is possibly the only place in Indonesia I would consider child friendly.

Air Asia is our preferred choice in Asia. Their hub is KL but a fair number of flight from BKK too.
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 05:16 AM

Yes, visa depends on the country passport you use to enter with.

Looks like you have round trip flights to Bangkok from "wherever." Round trip flights can be cheaper than 2 one way flights.

You could squeeze in the second country after a week in Thailand and then return for a final week back in Thailand.

I would leave Bali for another time, but that is me. For Bali check the weather for January.

Singapore is a nice place to visit, very organized but also more expensive than other places on your list. Maybe no big difference if you always travel where budget is not a big problem. If beaches are important my opinion Malaysia will be better than Singapore. Never been here but Mersing comes up as beach in Malaysia 100 miles from Singapore.

With little kids with you maybe choose less remote beach areas in case of a medical emergency.

Good luck.
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 05:12 PM

January is the wet season in Bali. While probably not the best time for the beach, the rain won't slow you down much inland in the Ubud area. It will be low season in Bali, uncrowded and negotiable rates. You will not need visas.

Ubud is the center for nature and culture -- rain forests, rice paddies, volcanoes, waterfalls, temple ceremonies, masked dance, gamelan music, arts and handicrafts. Plenty of choice in food, both inexpensive and delicious local and highly sophisticated Western options.

Balinese love children, and child care is inexpensive and reliable (though as in other parts of SEA you have to take care especially around water as many local people don't swim). The kitchen staff will entertain your child while you have a meal or shop, the guide will carry him/her down and up the river valley trail. At performances and ceremonies children are welcome to run around and make friends.

Health care is reasonable good in Bali, but as in all of SEA outside of large cities, evacuation insurance is recommended.

As mentioned, AirAsia offers cheap and dependable service throughout SEA. January flights are already steeply discounted (though if you book now be aware of cancellation and change policies).