Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A hero in Tamil Nadu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRiCp...eature=related

On the CNN short list for "Heroes of the Year"
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 11:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks CaliNurse.

Inspiring, humbling - and a timely reminder about what's important, when so many of us are "sweating the small stuff", on the eve of the season for goodwill & generosity for us Christians.
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Bokhara. Touched that you are humbled, as I was. What a man--to give up the career as a chef withTaj Hotels and turn to serving a quite different clientele!
I hope more people see this link .
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Cali
A really impressive guy. That video really changed some of my opinions of my upcoming trip to India. (I followed you here from my India post.....thanks for your input). I really appreciate your suggestions .. but wondering if you can recommend a tour planner - rather than a group. Thanks again for your help.

Shrink
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi again, Shrink. I thought the "hero" would attract more than two Fodies--thanks Shrink and Bokhara for noticing and reading!

But as there was limited response, I will answer your above question here, and not feel like i am "hijacking"my own post!

I really, really think that you should work with a tour planner who can help figure out the best way for you to utilize your 5 days (which i, unlike some others, will not try to talk you out of as you've clearly explained your reasons--this IS your trip, isnt' it?) . IMHO it is the best way to go on limited time. It is not unusual to visit India and see what is called the Golden Triange (Delhi-Agra-Jaipur. I suspect that for you, this option is the best, because it will be as seamless as possible for India (a tall order) , and you can maximize the quality of the time, and minimize the hassles and discomfort.
If you've read Fodors India Forum, you know that people are passionate about "their" travel planners/travel agents...and I am no exception. Perhaps because India is such a special and unique country (in all kinds of waysgrewat, , good and not so good) people are especially appreciative when they meet someone who helped them. By searching this forum, you will see names of recommended travel planning companies/people.

The person i swear by, and have done for two trips (with a third in the works) is Mrs Faith Pandian. She and her and husband started a family company that has expanded over the yrs to all over India. But to this day, if you call in the middle of the night (there's a 24 hours number) for some odd question, it is one of them you may very well get on the phone! (I speak from experience.)

If you like this idea, get a variety of estimates clearly stating your time limits, your budget, and your desired stops, so that when you are comparing prices, you are comparing "apples to apples."

Whether or not you contact Faith, you will love her website. I will post a link below to the kind of trip that you can use to make the most of your limited time. It may seem like a lot of driving, but ultimately, that will be most comfortable and easiest, and you can stop off to break up the trip. Any good travel professional will have ideas for perhaps stopping in a small village on the route, based on your interests--- not just the big cities. You can "google" "Golden Triange Tour" and see numerous ideas from numerous companies. Here's one possible itinerary, which Faith (or any planner listed on Fodors,or from your own research) can help you "tweak" to your personal needs

http://indianpanorama.in/214golden_tri.html

I also recommend that at least one of your overnights be at a homestay--a sort of Indian bed and breakfast. Why? I think it will give you a more local experience, if you chose a good one ( see tripadvisor, or through the rec of a travel planner; For ex, Faith uses several in New Delhi including Saubhag. Ata good homestay,but you feel welcomed into the home while having privacy if you prefer that. And it wil feel "less touristy" than a hotel.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 02:55 PM

What a wondeerfully inspiring story, Cali. Thanks for posting the link.

(Yes, I'm still getting caught up on things after my trip.)