Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

A few general questions for 1st timers, please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all. We are doing the Golden Triangle and Nepal with Gate 1 September 13-25, so our hotels, tours and travel are already arranged. My questions are of a more general nature as follows:
1. Money - We've read that it's better to bring rupees with us, since our credit card has very steep foreign ATM fees. I believe we are allowed 10k/person so will that be sufficient for souvenirs and incidentals? What are the best places to exchange USD to rupees if need be? Also, can we use Indian rupees in Nepal or will we need to exchange Indian rupees or USD into Nepalese rupees?
2. Packing - Aside from the obvious, is there anything you wish you had brought with you - or maybe something you could have done without? It seems the weather will still be warm and somewhat wet in India; probably cooler in Nepal, so we are bringing comfy layers, rain ponchos and sturdy shoes. Also a Life Straw, assorted OTC meds. etc. Other suggestions?
3. Connectivity - since the hotels we are staying in all have wifi, I'm rethinking the need for a local SIM card, since we are with a group and not on our own for navigation or reservations, etc. It sounds like getting a local SIM card is a bit cumbersome and we would only need to check FB or email occasionally. I think that could be accomplished with hotel wifi on my iPhone. Any other thoughts or suggestions?
4. Other - What is your favorite souvenir from India? Nepal? What do you wish you had bought or not bought? What about bringing US products as small gifts for locals (we've done this in South America, Turkey and China)? If yes, what items are appreciated/needed?

Thanks for indulging these questions! All responses sincerely appreciated!!
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 03:32 PM

Don't try to bring rupees with you. Your credit card has high ATM fees? All credit cards have high ATM fees - you should never use a credit card in an ATM, as you are basically taking a short-term loan. It is that your debit card tied to your checking/savings account that has hight fees? You have a month before you go - open an account somewhere that won't charge you high fees to take your own money out... a credit union or a smaller local bank are good candidates. Nepal and India use different currencies, though they are both called rupees. If you need to change USD to rupees, use an exchange window (such as you will see at the airports) or you will find many stores and even some hotels that will give you a fair exchange rate. What is a fair rate? check www.xe.com

It will likely be hot and wet in both India and Nepal.

Kathmandu has the worst quality tap water in the world. I have to admit I wouldn't trust the tiny filter on a lifestraw to protect me from the bacteria, viruses and toxic chemicals in the water.

I agree that you really don't need a local SIM as you can access the internet via wi-fi at your hotel.

Souvenirs? For me, anything handmade. Keep your eyes open. When you see something you want, buy it then, you may not see it again.

Enjoy your trip. These are intense counties to visit - very different from other parts of Asia.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you use a credit card in an ATM? That way you incur interest charges. If your bank or credit card company charges high fees on foreign transactions you need different accounts. There is a fair amount of choice these days among cards that do not charge fees.

I have no idea what a Life Straw is, but I travel in Asia with immodium and an antibiotic, and in India I tend to eat vegetarian. Have you consulted a travel doctor about the need for precautions against malaria?

I have been traveling extensively for fifteen years. These days the only souvenirs I collect are photographs, or very occasionally a piece of jewelry or fabric. India is a great country if you like fabrics.

"small gifts for locals". Really?
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 04:21 PM

IMO, the best small gift for any local is a crisp, new US one dollar bill.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 05:00 PM

IMO, the best small gift for any local is a crisp, new US one dollar bill.
No, the best monetary gift is local currency, especially if you are giving small amounts. And you had better be d*** sure the "local" is not going to be insulted. Of course, if she is on a tour it is likely that the only "locals" the OP will encounter will be those employed in the tourist trade, which is a different matter.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 11:32 PM

The most important thing to take with you are a couple of small plastic bottles of medicated hand gel....use it often, very often.

As for gifts. In Kathmandu, the main area that tourists end up at least one is Thamel. If you've got time, then you'll find loads of shops selling basically the same stuff. Don't try and haggle too hard with locals.....they need to eat.

Anything Gurkha makes a good gift, I got a few metal badges, which went down well. Dress down when shopping, you should get a better opening offer.

Make sure you visit Boudanath, especially at dawn or dusk. Immerse yourself in the special atmosphere. Bhaktapur after dark too, when all the day-trippers have gone home.

Need a bit of down-time, visit The Garden of Dreams. Do a weather check first, as there's no shelter.

There's loads of places for exchanging money in Kathmandu, especially in Thamel. Just have a walk around to compare.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your very helpful replies. Thursdayd, I am a fabric and textile junkie and am a little afraid I’m going to have to leave my clothing in India to make room for what I’m going to want to bring home, LOL. I also appreciate Kathie’s and LancasterLad’s suggestions on souvenirs and things mentioned in your posts. Very helpful.

Also, I have since researched our bank’s ATM card & apparently it is international. Who knew? We seldom use it even locally, so this was good for me to learn. I now just have to convince my 71 y/o DH that using ATM’s abroad is fairly safe, if you take care. And our bank has safeguards we can employ to make sure no one empties our account if we get hacked. See, even at our age, we can be taught! 😁.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 04:01 AM

czarria60.....You might find the Trip Report I posted a bit interesting. It's mainly about Kathmandu, and our impressions. I take onboard that we all travel a bit differently. We thoroughly enjoyed our first week there staying with 3 generations of the same warm and friendly Hindu family, in their lovely villa just outside of the Kathmandu Ring Road. We learned a lot from the family, stuff that you won't learn in some posh hotel being served on hand and foot...

Nepal

I think I might have run out of steam at the end, but there's quite a lot there.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 05:48 AM

The safest way to handle getting cash is to use an ATM either inside, or attached to, a bank during banking hours. ATMs in airports should be fine too, although I seem to remember using an exchange office in Kathmandu's airport. Make sure you tell your bank and credit card companies that you will be traveling. I haven't heard that the Dynamic Currency Conversion scam has reached India, but always insist on paying in local currency if there is a choice. Also, I highly recommend wearing a money belt, to carry your passport, cards, and money other than one day's supply.

I looked up the Life Straw. Seems to work OK, but you might read the (few) bad reviews on amazon. In any case, you will still need bottled water for cleaning your teeth. And in addition to the hand gel, always carry tissues, or a small roll of toilet paper (minus the cardboard tube). If you have been to China you should already know about the precautions, however India is much dirtier.

You will need to bargain hard in India as well as Nepal, except in government shops. If you like fabrics you will be spoiled for choice! I checked what looks to be your tour on the Gate1 site and you will have some free time, so practice saying "no" firmly before you go.

For my visit to Nepal see: Thursdaysd's South Asian Sojourn or with pictures (links at the top of the page): https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...culture-shock/ I was a solo female traveler in my early 60s at the time.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 07:02 AM

Like ^^^^^, particularly advice about money. Unless it's unavoidable don't use a stand-alone ATM.....if your card gets eaten or the wrong money is dispensed then you might be up-the-creek.

When we arrived at Kathmandu Airport, there was a money changer in the Immigration Hall, and the exchange rate was only slightly less than in town. Spent our unspent money in departures before leaving on t-shirts.

If you haven't already got your Visa prior to arrival, make sure you've printed the forms off from the Nepal Government website, and have the forms filled in before you arrive. Join the right Visa queue.

Inside Kathmandu Airport is quite peaceful, the second you leave you'll be entering a different world, make sure you've got your wits about you.

I don't wear a money belt, but I do wear a multi-pocketed gilet all the time when I'm out, and have never felt that anything I 'hide' in the pockets has been unsafe.

Regarding Government shops, the price might be fixed, but that doesn't mean that'll you'll bag a bargain. Our Hindu hosts for our first week were very helpful in that respect.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 07:41 AM

There is an ATM at the Kathmandu airport, just outside the arrival hall, on the outside of the building. For great textiles in Kathmandu, I recommend a fair trade crafts shop, Mahaguthi, located in Kopundol (an area of Patan). This was a great place to shop, with a good selection of items. The hand-woven textiles are gorgeous – and the price per large piece was about US$10 each (they were on sale when we were there – 25% off the regular price). I bought an arm-load and wished I’d bought more. There are other items here, such as hand-made paper books, some small paintings, and pashimas (I later wished I’d gotten one there).

My trip trophy is old, but it has food details about the world heritage sires: Kathie Returns to Katmandu 2008
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 10:08 PM

It's nice to see a post from a self-confessed fabric and textile junkie. On another forum I frequently post about exhibitions involving Indian hand-loom fairs and exhibitions. The Golden Triangle cities are particularly good (if you know what you're looking for) to view or purchase a bit. I'd recommend a few stops that your operator may not know or would probably not like for you to go there (no commission).

1. In Jaipur, I'd recommend the anokhi museum of hand block printing. This is near Amer fort and is not the anokhi showroom (in C scheme area). Also try to visit Jawahar Kala Kendra. There's almost always an exhibition running with artisans from at-least eight or ten states of India. Prices are significantly lower than in Delhi haat.
2. In Delhi, for a good, pan-indian selection, but higher, non negotiable prices you could go to the CCIE (Central Cottage Industries Emporium - government controlled) at Janpath. In case you're doing it alone, touts have been known to tell tourists that it has burnt down, closed or is otherwise unreachable. Dont listen to them. It's six floor tall building, easily located via google maps. I have mixed opinion about Delhi haat - I feel the prices are higher than they should be, and there's a lot of kitsch - but perhaps its decades of visiting such places and the ennui talking.
3. Also in Delhi, do not miss the Crafts Museum (bhairon road, near pragati maidan area). Sadly, the Textile gallery of the national museum is closed indefinitely for renovation. I was there in July so its unlikely to open by the time you're here.
4. In Agra, carpets are best avoided - you'll get better variety and price even on ebay back home.
5. You could visit a Khadi Bhandar anywhere in these three cities.

I'd second thursdaysd's advice re: USD. We have an ambiguous relationship with that currency.

Last edited by AroraV; Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks AroraV! Great recommendations! Appreciate everyone’s input! One more quick question which may seem silly. I know it’ll be warm while we’re there. Are shorts ok? We live in FL so shorts & capris are my daily wardrobe! I haven’t seen any comments about what’s appropriate. Thanks.
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 08:37 PM

Best to cover legs and shoulders while visiting places of worship.
Could be inconvenient in crowded destinations.
Mosquitoes may be another problem immediately after the monsoons. The vector bourne diseases (Malaria, Dengue etc) need to be protected against.
Happy travels!
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by czarria60
Thanks AroraV! Great recommendations! Appreciate everyone’s input! One more quick question which may seem silly. I know it’ll be warm while we’re there. Are shorts ok? We live in FL so shorts & capris are my daily wardrobe! I haven’t seen any comments about what’s appropriate. Thanks.
If you're a western female, I'd strongly recommend against wearing shorts. Capris should be Ok. No spaghetti tops please (try to keep shoulders covered) As such you'd be an object of curiosity, even around the tourist places such as the Taj, forts of Jaipur and old city of Delhi, but why aggravate it? In high end hotels and malls of these cities, sure you could wear shorts and get by fine.

An option would be to purchase an inexpensive salvar suit top (it's like a tunic) from a reputable chain such as Fabindia or Khadi Ghar - both have outlets in Delhi and couple that with your trousers or capris.

p.s. I've been to Miami in July, so can relate to what's the wardrobe suitable there. You'd find Jaipur and Rajasthan to be relatively less humid,but equally hot. Agra is hot and humid.
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 04:36 AM

I would definitely not recommend shorts, and probably not capris. India is a misogynistic country, and not particularly safe for women. You will certainly attract less attention if you cover up, and you will be respecting local custom. In any case, that will help with the sun and insects. Take lightweight natural fabrics. Certainly, buying a salwar suit in country is a good idea and a fun experience.

See also: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/india/p...d2e5d7d/356195
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=AroraV;16777195]If you're a western female, I'd strongly recommend against wearing shorts. Capris should be Ok.

What about for my husband? Are knee length cargo type shirts ok for him or does he need to be in slacks or jeans? I sincerely appreciate the input!!
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 04:56 AM

Gents wearing shorts is okay in a Sikh / Hindu Temple but in a mosque like the Jama Masjid in Delhi, one is expected to be more conservatively dressed.
To me the more worrisome part for the month of September is the vector illnesses. The Dengue is a heavier mosquito and hence the legs are the main targets. It operates during the day time. We are having good monsoons and this scourge can't be ignored.
I guess jeans should be ideal in a situation like this. One could wear shorts in hotels of stay.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 05:33 AM

No! Forget jeans. Far too hot and heavy and take ages to dry. Take khakis or similar.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 01:46 AM

My husband likes loose linen or cotton trousers with an elastic or drawstring waist. They can be bought at Fabindia or other stores. Definitely get yourself a salwar kameez, the buying experience will be fun, plus they are comfortable and stylish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -