Family of four... recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Asia in January and are looking for recommendations for our destination. We will be at time of travel.... husband and wife, 3 year old and a 6 month old. We have travelled fairly extensively with and without our first child, but with 2 young children, we would like to plan a (somewhat) relaxing trip with a bit of adventure and culture built in.

We are considering Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore, but are open to other suggestions. We enjoy the beach, but for just a couple days and so would like a blend of city/culture and beach. We would love to hear suggestions from others as we start our research. We understand we'll have some limitations with young children, so your comments, experiences and ideas will be helpful.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM

ron, though you'll most likely find plenty of options among the 5 places you've targeted, I'd like to suggest another: Bali.

In Bali you'll get a good balance of culture/nature/beach/adventure plus the benefit of a highly child-friendly society.

Accomodations are available at all price ranges with plenty of wriggle room for your three year old and child care is inexpensive and reliable. Many families will retain a full time baby sitter (or two) for the time that they are in Bali.

Our son was three the first time we visited Bali and he was enchanted by the masked dance, the temple ceremonies, the music and the drama. Not to mention the surf and the endless string of resort pools.

The guides carried him up river ravines, around volcanoes, into bat caves. Restaurant staff entertained him while we enjoyed our meals. He sat on the lap of a gamelan player during a dance performance and was chased around the stage by a village Barong.

Now twenty years later, Bali is still his alltime favorite destination.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM

personally i think i would find it quite hard to travel to asia with two children that small as there is so much time that needs to be spent entertaining them.....for this reason i might suggest that you limit the places you wish to visit...

of the places you mention i think hong kong might be the easiest....singapore next and then thailand followed by vietnam....

language is an issue in some cases and the need to child time is another....

thailand might be a good place where you could combine some city time with some at the beach time......the beach would be too hot in most situations for children that small for very long, especially the baby....

but a nice hotel or serviced apartment might work well for you....

the centre point silom hotel in bkk might be a good choice over a standard hotel....

there are others similar all over thialand....bigger apartment rather than just a one room hotel room....cooking and fridge facilities, laundry....

a pool with a kids area might be nice too like at the marriott resort and spa in bkk.....
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I do not know much about Bali, but will certainly start reading about it. A few questions.... Coming from the states, where do we fly into? If we have 10 -12 days, should we just stay in one central spot (like Ubud) and then use that as a home base, exporing other areas? Or do you recomend we travel to different areas? Any particular favorites that might be enjoyed by our 3 year old?
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Coming from the States, it's usually easiest to fly into Singapore then take a flight to Denpasar. If you have 10-12 days on the ground, you might want to stay in two different places in Bali, such as Ubud and a beach area.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:30 PM

As Kathy said you can connect through Singapore to Denpasar. The Singapore Airlines from non-stop from Newark to Singapore is particularly painless, though you'll have to spend the night in Singapore on the return.

Otherwise, you can connect through Hong Kong.

Depending on where you're starting from, it's sometimes faster through Europe, e.g., Frankfurt or London.

I'd agree with Kathy, some time in Ubud, some time on the beach. January is the rainy season so you'll get some weather, but it's not debilitating.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM

bali would be excellent with the kids really....

don't forget to look at malaysia airlines too....good connections and a very nice airline...

the hyatts (there are two) might work for you....the one in sanur is smaller and in a nice little town....also the conrad....

i think i would split my time between ubud and sanur or some other spot....