a bangkok question

Search

a bangkok question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a bangkok question

Is it possible to see Grand Palace, Wat Pho and Jim Thompson house in 1 day. Four days in BKK. One day toally for shopping, massages, 1 day bicycle tour, 1 day, 1 day river kwai and tiger temple. Thanks
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 09:13 AM

Absolutely possible! In fact, we did the same one-day itinerary last year exactly. Just get to the Palace early in the morning (don't remember if it opens at 8 or 9.) It's better that way regardless: you avoid the heat and the crowds.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 09:14 AM

Yes, it is possible. You can spend as much time or as little time as you like at the Grand Palace and Wat Pho. You can take a guided tour or you can walk through the grounds on your own. It's entirely up to you, but of course, the more time you spend there, the more you will see. If I remember correctly, I spent half a day wandering through the grounds first time. Absolutely breath-taking! Second time, I spent about an hour.

In regard to the Jim Thompson House, you must take a guided tour first, then you can wander a bit on your own. You may need to wait a half hour or so for your tour to begin, and I think the tour itself lasts less than one hour. You can visit the small store and gallery while you wait for your tour, and you can have lunch or a drink at the restaurant afterward. As you plan out your day, I'd allow at least two hours there.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much! 1 other question. Is there a Bangkok card for entrance fees, like the museum pass in Paris? Or do you pay each seperate.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM

Like the other posters, I also did these same 3 stops all in one day. Do the JT House as the last of the 3, and if you have to wait a few minutes for the next tour to start, there is a lovely cafe where you can rest.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 09:45 AM

I don't know of any special card. I've always just paid separately. Things in Bangkok don't cost that much. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM
jgg

laartista - glad to see you working on the details of your trip. Looking forward to your trip report and shopping details!!! Just booked our tickets to Bangkok about a week ago, so definitely going in March, but still have a lot of details to work out.

OJudy - do you need tickets for the Jim Thompson tour in advance? It sounds like you show up and just wait for the next available one? Is that correct.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:03 AM

For the JT House, you just show up and pay your entrance fee. They have tours frequently. You may have to sit in the garden or the cafe for a few minutes.

No, there is no general museum pass in Bangkok. But when you go to the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha, you purchase a ticket that also allows you to see the Teak Palace the same day.

Get to the Grand Palace at 8, you can get in then and wander around a bit. The Emerald Buddha opens at 8:30. I try to be there when it opens.

It's a block walk from the GP/EB to Wat Po. You'll need to take a taxi from Wat Po to the JT House.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:06 AM

all possible, but plan on a good swim when you are finished to refresh yourselves....
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM

The path to the Jim Thompson house seems to have lots of folks who "helpfully" advise you that the house is closed today for a special celebration, but that fortunately there is this "other" place that you'll want to visit right nearby. Be not deterred....
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input.

Jgg- I am soooo psyched, 4weeks to go.TRust me there WILL be a lengthy trip report to follow and a special section on shopping. I'm already prepping Robin for her bargaining tactics.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:31 AM

Can't wait for another great trip report from you laartista!.
If the last one was "A Very Berber Birthday" will the next one be "A Totally Thai-riffic Trip for Travelling Twosome"?
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM

There is a scam with the Grand Palace too where people say it is shut today. Just ignore them.

Is the bicycle tour for Bangkok? If so I hope you have adequate health insurance. Taxis are cheap and air conditioned. Don't use Tuk-tuks.

I found the Jim Thompson house boring or is it just me? 10 mins walk from JT is the Paragon shopping centre which has Ocean World in the basement.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM

Laartista, Great minds think a like! We did the same schedule last Christmas and it is was very easy. Personally I loved the JT House. The guide gave us some great information and it was nice to sit down and rest a bit before our tour.

JGG, I've booked our tickets for next April and can't wait for my second trip to BKK. Because of Guenmai's posts we are going to stay at the Emporium Suites.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 12:17 PM

Beware of taxi drivers..... Now, I'm not a first-timer to Bangkok, having been 11 times in the past 6 years. I did, however, just visit the Grand Palace for the first time (please forgive me for waiting sooooooo long ...lol). Anyway, upon leaving the GP, I walked away from all of the aggressive touts along the street (they WERE presistent) and caught a taxi a couple of blocks away, thinking I wouldn't have a problem....

WRONG!! Now, I didn't just get off the boat... so I knew when the taxi driver was running up a HUGE bill (we're talkin' 100 baht) and I saw that we were waaaaaaaaay out by Chatuchak Market, I told the cab driver to STOP and let me out. I saw the skytrain station and traveled back into the city on the skytrain instead. So just BEWARE. It can even happen to a veteran traveler to Bangkok. I don't know if it made him angry that I wanted to have the meter on??? instead of paying a flat fee back to my apartment (which should have only been about 50 baht).

Carol
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM

Are you doing the Amazing Bangkok Cyclist tour? We loved it!!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Yes lc, we are doing the ABC bicycle tour. Glad to hear it was good.

Crusin- Actually a foursome this trip. Don't know 2 of the gals yet they are Robins work friends. Should be interesting. Title- LOL will have to wait until the trip, the trip reports usually have a way of naming themselves as you know from your awesome report. Got our hotel in BKK now trying to decide in Samui, is it me or is it hard to pick? Also anyone know of good cheesy show extravaganza with costumes and such LOL.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM

great show in bkk:

calypso cabaret....female impersonators...its a hoot and well done....they sing american songs...

asia hotel....i bought my tickets and selected seats on line before going...

choose front center seats....don't do dinner show
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much rk! While I'm here how's the diving in Koh Samui? Anyone know? Thanks