Search

9 Day Japan Trip over Labor Day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 Day Japan Trip over Labor Day

Hi Everyone,

My hubby and I are going to Japan to celebrate our two year wedding anniversary from August 22 - September 1. We will spend 3 nights in a ryokan in Tokyo and 5 nights at the Westin in Kyoto. I have a couple questions:
1) what kind of weather should we expect at this time of year? Is it still very hot and rainy?
2) What day trips should we take from Kyoto. We are thinking Nara and Hijemi Castle, possibly.
3) Any must see sights, restaurants, or bars?
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Weather will be hot, very hot, sometimes can't breathe hot, and humid. Bangkok, Singapore, and Florida have all been a relief for us when we have gone to those places from Japan in August. Rain is not the norm in August, but can happen. You can definitely count on very high humidity and very high temperatures. Plan on outdoor sightseeing early in the day and retreat indoors as it heats up. Drink a lot of water, more than you think you should.

What ryokan in Tokyo do you have in mind and what sort of experience are you hoping for? I ask because the vast majority of ryokan in Tokyo are more along the lines of places to sleep on futon on tatami and do not offer the "ryokan experience" many people expect.

In August, spending a night in Nara might be nice as there is light up. http://www.pref.nara.jp/nara_e/info/02.html Actually, Nara might be just the place for a ryokan stay, as there are many very nice places at a lower price than Kyoto.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Have a great time. Japan is a fascinating place with plenty to see.

We go to Japan every year, and often stay at the Westin Kyoto. The rooms vary widely there, so if you get a room you don't like, ask if you can see another one. But generally the hotel is nice, if not a bit out of the way.

Having said that, while there is a hotel shuttle which will take you down near the main train station, if you are going to some of the other areas, when you walk out of the hotel, if you go down the long driveway to the right, there is an entrance to the subway right there! It's very handy for some of the more historical areas of town.

If you get tired of Japanese food (not that I ever do), there is even a McDonald's down the road which has things like Ebi (shrimp) Burger, which is interesting for a strange snack!

There is a lovely okonomiyaki restaurant about halfway down the long road that the Westin is on, across the road on the other side from the hotel. If I remember the name I will post it. It's some of the best okonomiyaki I've ever had, and the owner has known a lot of Americans so while she doesn't speak English, there are usually some expats hanging around the place, who are interesting to talk to.

Enjoy your time there, you'll hae a great time!

One of my best day trips from Kyoto was to a place called Arashiyama. There is a wild monkey park there, and it is very scenic, on a river. A lot of local, Japanese tourists go there, and there are a lot of shops selling local foodstuffs from the region. It was very interesting, and only a 15 minute journey from town.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! We are staying at the Ryokan Shigetsu...it was reccomended on trip advisor and many travel books... have you heard of it? With only 3 nights in Tokyo, should we also plan a day trip from Tokyo or just use that time to see Tokyo itself. We have never been before.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Ryokan Shigetsu is fine in terms of being a clean place to sleep. It is in a good location, and the price is very reasonable. It caters to foreign tourists. While it is not a "ryokan experience" kind of place, it is fine as a hotel.

If you wanted a ryokan where the service was excellent and intuitive, a fabulous gourmet dinner served in your room by your personal attendant, plush futons, breakfast service similar to dinner, and beautiful decor, then Ryokan Shigetsu is not for you. If you want that sort of experience for a night, Kyoto, Nara, or add a night in Hakone, will all have much more to offer in that type of place than Tokyo.

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Is there any place to get that type of experience in Tokyo? We are planing to stay 5 nights at the Westin in Kyoto because we used Starwood points. I'm hoping they'll let us upgrade to one of the japanese style rooms, but I probably won't know that until we get there. Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:30 PM

In Tokyo, this may be the closest you get. It is heavily into the wedding business, though, which is a turnoff for me. http://megurogajoen.co.jp/ Most ryokan in Tokyo are of the budget accommodation variety catering mostly to foreign tourists. These places are ryokan in the sense that you sleep on futon, there is a bath area and perhaps none in your room. They serve well as places to sleep and as a base for sightseeing, just like any budget hotel would. If that is what you want, Shigetsu may be one of the best for that.

If you want a more complete experience, you will need to do it outside of Tokyo I think. There are places in Kyoto, as well as outside of Tokyo, that are ryokan experiences complete with service and gourmet food. In the city itself, though, a luxury hotel is easier to find than a luxury ryokan. The ryokan experience is more of a place to check into and enjoy until check out, a destination in and of itself. You might consider a night in Hakone or Nara in place of one of your Kyoto nights for that.