8yr old's birthday in Kyoto

Aug 11th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

8yr old's birthday in Kyoto

HI Fodorites

Our daughter turns 8 during our trip to Japan at the end of November, and we'll be in Kyoto on the actual day. Any thoughts on something special we can do on the day? I've come up with some tripadvisor/airbnb experience ideas like a traditional koto lesson with tea ceremony, also going to the Samurai Kembu Theatre in the evening. She loves ramen and miso so maybe a cookery class? Or should we make that our day trip to Nara day? I'm up for any out of the ordinary ideas!

Thanks
Aug 12th, 2019, 04:24 PM

Only you know your daughter and her interests best. Offhand, I doubt going through tea ceremony or a koto lesson would be her thing - maybe a taiko lesson where she could whoop it up.
Actually, Nara is not a bad idea at all - the Todaiji temple is wonderful, and there are not a lot of places in the world where you can buy some crackers and feed the deer.
Kyoto has a number of places that she might like - she can run herself til exhausted through the torii tunnels at Fushimi Inari Shrine, or look at all the different rakan faces at Otagi Nenbutsuji Temple in Arashiyama, or take the old Sagano train and Hozugawa river rafting back. Not to mention dressing up in a yukata or kimono for a day, going to the Toei Eigamura Studios for a unique experience. Another option is the Kyoto Railway Museum - it's definitely a place for kids.