Search

8 days in Thailand late Feb - independent female traveller

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 days in Thailand late Feb - independent female traveller

Hello all,

Any ideas for an itinerary for 8 days in Thailand late Feb? I'm an independent female traveller and have travelled to Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia before and reckon that it's time I discovered Thailand - even if it's just for a long week (restricted because of my holiday allowance!). Love culture, history, nature and good food.

Look forward to your ideas!

Lesley
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 09:08 AM

Thailand is an easy destination for a solo female traveler. For culture, history and good food, it's hard to beat Bangkok. Indeed, my first trip to Thailand in the 1980s, I spent 8 days/9 nights all in Bangkok! If you love big cities and the energy they generate, you'll love this. People who are not city people may find Bangkok overwhelming. A day trip to Ayutthaya would supplement your Bangkok time nicely.

I admit I'm not a fan of Chiang Mai, so I wouldn't go there, but there are people who love Chiang Mai. Another option would be to take a few days at the beach. In February, you would want to be on the Andaman Sea side.
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Hey Kathie! Thanks for the quick reply - I think you helped me a few years ago when I was organising a trip to Indonesia! Right I see that quite a few days are needed in Bangkok That's good for me. I do live in a big city so I was thinking of seeing some greenery - any ideas? I'm not really a 'beachy' person. Do you know is public transport's navigable for foreigners? Thailand OK for lone females travelling? (I'm 49 and pretty switched on!).
Lesley
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 02:43 PM

I always use public transport in Bangkok. What I use most often is the Skytrain (BTS) or the water taxis (more like water buses on the river) But there is also a subway system and a rail link. A day trip to Ayutthaya will give you greenery as well as ancient ruins.

Thailand is quite safe for lone women as long as you use common sense. I've never had a Thai man be inappropriate with me - even when I was young and gorgeous. They are generally quite respectful.
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that! I think I would thrive in Bangkok! Am starting to get excited - lots to do there and a base for a few trips. Really appreciate the guidance - I can see anything less than a week isn't really going to do the place justice!
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Any recommendation for a good area to stay in? Places of interest/good eating places within walking distance/accessible with public transport?
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 10:26 AM

In Bangkok, my favorite area is the area around the river. Along the river, it is slightly less hot, and the air is clearer, I also like being on the water taxis route. You can take your hotel boat to Central and catch the skytrain. If you opt not to stay by the river, I'd suggest somewhere along Sukhumvit right next to a skytrain station. Look at some possibilities and come back and let us comment on them. I think there are good places to eat near every hotel in Bangkok!
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 10:43 AM

I have been to Bangkok several times, mostly to visit my daughter. I love the Chatrium Riverside, esp. with a river view room. I actually find Bangkok a bit "much" due to the heat (even in the cool season) and the time change (I'm from the US). I had big plans for some independent sight-seeing the first time I went (I had purchased a Bangkok Walks book) but the heat made walking unpleasant. Do try to stay near a skytrain station if not on the river. I did do a walking food tour that was pleasant, and much less expensive than in other countries. The Jim Thompson House is lovely and the foot massages, heavenly. Hope you have a pleasant time!
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie and Suec!
This is really helpful, and am getting a sense of the useful location for staying in the city - sounds so different to where I live (Madrid), and loving the sound of water taxis! Suec, I get you on the heat, so Air con a must, right? Going to have a look at flights
Lesley
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 09:51 AM

lol - yes, air con is a MUST!
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 05:04 PM

We also favor the river area for hotels, but we also stay in the middle of the city. Currently we are in Bangkok staying at the Renaissance hotel, a good choice. Prior to yesterday we were at our fav hotel, Anantara Riverside. Chatrium is a good choice too. 5* hotels are a bargain here.

Tons of great food here.

Grand Palace is the #1 tourist site. For short stays I like to hire a guide and car so as to not waste time. The Jim thompson house is our #2 destination.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 04:40 AM

"For short stays I like to hire a guide and a car so as not to waste time" - this is a vey good idea! Every other place I have traveled, using public transportation and going on my own with a guidebook has been my travel style. BUT in Bangkok, mostly because of the heat, to go on my own would waste too much energy. Much better to be transported directly to where you are going, either with private guide or small tour, preferably in the early morning! Hired cars, guides, are not nearly as pricey as in Europe, for example Do be wary of taxi drivers - they may drive you to the palace, announce it is closed, then want to take you to buy some lovely gemstones.

Staying mid-city is better for shopping (the malls are AMAZING) and possibly food, but I do love the riverside for taking the water buses and an airboat ride thru the klongs.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 07:58 AM

I have always done Bangkok independently, but certainly there are those who feel a driver/guide is a good investment.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 01:22 PM

Riverside is a nice part of the city to stay in - but not my first choice. My opinion, some places Riverside have fewer things to immediately walk to. From Riverside you may be able to use a boat or taxi to get around but nothing beats walking out the door to a restaurant nearby or a pub or a supermarket - the type of things you visit during your free time when not exploring historic or cultural things. Just a different opinion. Link below has information for various sections of Bangkok.
Bangkok Area Guides - Everything you Need to Know about Bangkok Areas
Bangkok Riverside Information Guide - Everything You Need to Know About Bangkok Riverside

Look over the list of popular areas above and see if anything sticks out as worth staying at. I like the Asoke area where there are stops for both the Skytrain and subway. This is an active area even late at night. Shopping, restaurants, nightlife (you can ignore or stop in,) supermarkets, shops, etc. Terminal 21 Mall is one of the malls in this area. (Popular food court in that mall.) Siam area has shopping and Skytrain service along with restaurants, etc. Use city transportation for historic or other places not close to your hotel!

Even cheap hotels in Bangkok can have A/C and private bathroom. With A/C on your room is more quiet. (When walking around the city every now and then you can stop in an air conditioned mall to cool off.)

Many women are solo visitors to to Thailand. You should be okay. One exception I do read about is when women get wasted on alcohol and then make risky decisions with guys they meet, then they might get ripped off. Some of the foreign women tourists I have met in Thailand have been retirees on pensions having a good old time. For every new city you visit you should research any scams you may encounter.

In Thailand you can sign up for shared tours in person. (In a passenger van with a few other tourists.) If your hotel does not have a tour desk there will be travel agencies not too far away unless you are in a remote area. Select a tour one day from a list of popular destinations and leave next morning with a pick up from your hotel. You can do some out of the city short trips to historic or other popular tourist sites.

I do like using the city rail service. Skytrain, subway and even the Airport Rail Link. These three systems are connected. It is possible to get a train from Suvarnabhumi to many hotels with a switch to Skytrain - BUT not all locations Bangkok have rail service nearby. Meter taxis are not that expensive when you know how to use them. Meter is cheaper than paying a flat rate. From both Bangkok airports there is an official taxi desk. (Google search will give you some hints on how to use taxis in the city. You will need Thai baht to pay for taxi drivers but remember meter is cheaper!)
UrbanRail.Net > Asia > Thailand > Bangkok Metro

Have a nice time in Thailand. I think Chiang Mai is worth a visit. But best to visit with more time. (Flying takes about an hour but traveling to airport, checking in and deplaning plus bag retrieval takes time too!)

Good luck.
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Oh lovely - your recommendations are noted, I'm travelling alone so not sure my budget will stretch to five stars, well at least not for all the time I'll be there, but maybe for a treat? I think another friend has also mentioned the Jim Thompson house.
Thank you!
Lesley
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Wow Sir Halbard, I really appreciate your complete reply with good alternative area recommendations - thank you! It's difficult to work out the best area of a place to stay in when you don't know it, and it's so big, so you've been a big help
Also I will have a look at the links you've pasted into your message.
I'm not planning on making any risky decisions having had too much to drink!
Thank you!
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 04:12 PM

If you have any interest in a hostel with some private rooms - below link for Lub D has 2 places in Bangkok. There are cheaper hostels but this one seems to be a little nicer than some of the cheap places. (Click on "Our Properties in link.)
https://www.lubd.com/
https://www.lubd.com/siamsquare/

Another place that is in a good location for walking to Skytrain, restaurants, supermarkets, malls, vendors and shops is the Atlanta Hotel. Quirky, quaint hotel that has been around awhile. They have restrictions that keep a lot of riffraff out. Older style hotel. Allergic to cats don't bother! (I think they had cats at one time, maybe still do.) This area does have nightlife within walking distance in some locations. You can ignore or stop in and look. No one will force you into a beer bar against your will.
https://www.theatlantahotelbangkok.com/

Pathumwan Princess Hotel. At a Skytrain stop. Next to MBK. MBK is a popular mall with all sorts of stuff from junk to good stuff. Several places to eat at and lots of things to look over in that mall. Tour all day save early evening for a little shopping.
https://www.pprincess.com/
Not too far away is the Wendy House.
Welcome to Wendy House

Up to you.

Last edited by SirHalberd; Nov 15th, 2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 03:08 AM

You might want to stay at two locations - one (inexpensive) in the city and then maybe splurge for two nights on the river - plugging the Chatrium again - at least check the price - you get alot more for your money in Thailand than most places. Easy to take the water bus from there and see all the sights along the water.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Sir H!
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi Suec - yes I like this idea! Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -