Search

7 days in India- where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2010, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days in India- where to go?

Hi all,

I am visiting a friend in Bangalore for one week in November (during Diwali). It is my first time in India, and although my friend lives there for the time being, she is American and knows little about the country. Any itinerary advice? Keep in mind these things:

1. We are planning to fly between cities.
2. We are not exploring Bangalore.
3. We will be there during Diwali, as I mentioned above.
4. We'd like places that are fairly easy to reach, given our short timeframe (no plane-to-train-to-bus-to-taxi destinations, pls, lol)
5. We'd like to experience both urban and less man-made parts of India.

We were thinking of choosing among these places: Kerala, Goa,Mumbai, Delhi (or Agra), Chennai

Questions I have:
- Are 3 out of those 5 destinations (2 nights at each place) doable?

- Is it worth it to make the trip northward to Delhi/Agra to see the Taj Mahal, or should we save that for another time?

- Between Delhi, Mumbai or Chennai, which would you pick? I'm indifferent about Delhi- I just wouldn't want to regret not seeing the Taj. I'd love to see Mumbai, but Pondicherry outside of Chennai sounds pretty fascinating.

- We really want to see both Goa and Kerala, but are they similar enough that we should just pick one?

- Which cities throw the best Diwali celebrations?

Sorry for the long post, but there's a lot of info out there, and we're not sure what's most feasible! Any and all feedback is very greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 03:32 AM

1. 'We are planning to fly between cities.'
-good idea since you have little time
2. 'We are not exploring Bangalore.'
-sensible,Bangalore has little to offer.
3. 'We will be there during Diwali, as I mentioned above.'
-Diwali,a little low key in Bangalore,as many on an
austerity measure & eco-conscious.Fewer fire-crackers.Lesser
polution.
4. '...fairly easy places to reach'
Goa,Mumbai,Kerala,Chennai,Delhi...just a flight away max
3.5hrs
5. 'We'd like to experience both urban and less man-made parts of India.
-the above places will offer you both.

Now to answer your 2nd set questions:

1.1 or 2 out of 5.Depends on which you chose.Delhi,Jaipur &
Agra or only Goa or Kerala.Chennai & Pondicherry.
2.Delhi & Taj possible.But hurried.
3.Delhi any day.Lots more to see & do.Chennai not much.Pondicherry pretty nice.Goa,if you like the beach.Its good time.Begining of season.
4.Goa & Kerala are not similar.Only common factor is that both have beaches.Goa for sun,sand & fun.Kerala sun,sand not as much fun, but compensates adequately with culture.
5.All cities in India.But my pick is Jaipur for Diwali.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 04:00 AM

Before you get too excited about travelling around, bear in mind that trains and flights are heavily booked by INDIANS who need to travel themselves for Divali!

Cities don't throw Divali celebrations. It is a religious holiday celebrated at home with family. You may see the lights and hear the fire crackers, but it's not a block party.

7 days will pretty much keep you in Bangalore and the south of India.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't do any of the things you suggest. If I were in Bangalore with just seven days I'd take the train to Mysore and do day trips. Otherwise I'd fly to Kochi and visit Kerala.

Jaya has a good point about Indians traveling, I've been having difficulty booking for December.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 04:48 AM

You can't fly to Agra.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 07:35 AM

For your one week, please, for the sake of a true vacation, less-hassle trip, pick ONE area , fly rt between BLR , and d hire car (pref Innova) and driver for airport pick-up/drop off. This will save time and and add tremendously to your comfort level

Chennai (head down coast via Mahaballopuram to Madurai, then if time, up to hill station like Kodaikanal for different sort of landscape.

OR fly to Kochi from Bangalore. We did that--maybe a one hour flight? You can see Kerala highlights in the week, including Ft Kochi, backwaters and lakenr Aleppey and Kottayam, Munnar, Periyar

OR fly to New Delhi, do classic Golden Triangle tour from there. This will include Taj Mahal.

For a no-plane, car only tour from Bangalore, you can hiring car/driver and instead head West (much of it on a good road) to Belur and Halebid (ONLY if interested in historic temples); Coorg area (coffee plantations/green and gorgeous); spend 1-2 hours in nearby Byelukuppe Tibetan settlement with its beautiful temple and TIbetan Buddhist school' and even one of the game parks like Mudumalai or Nagarhole; interesting city of Mysore; Coonoor if you want beautiful hills and tea plantation.From Mysore you can drive back to Bangalore.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM

I meant, have the car/driver do pick up at airport and drive you for the entire week...dont think that was clear.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 09:58 AM

South India is considered the true India because it had the least amount of outside influence over the past few thousand years. The Hindu temples are magnificent as is the art, dance, and textiles. Focus your itinerary and enjoy.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 10:23 AM

I'd do either a Southest India trip or the Golden triangle of Delhi-Agra-Jaipur. Both offer a great 7 day itinerary, interesting, and easy if you just hire a driver for the trip.

I certainly wouldn't choose Pondicherry for my first trip to India. I found it totally underwhelming, especially for the travel time - flight to Chennai + 3 hours driving- needed to get there.

I happen to love Delhi. The historic sites, shopping, and people watching are unmatched in my book. I like to put it at the end of each trip, as there is so much going on that i'ts better appreciated when you've had a few days adjusting to India in general first.

The Taj Mahal is one of those things that you don't have to see, but then again, everyone you ever tell about your India trip will ask, "How was the Taj Mahal?" I've gone three times- was traveling with first timers- and loved it each time. Agra itself has quite a few nice sites, and offers a lot if you can overlook the touts outside the Taj and keep your driver from dumping you at the marble and carpet stores.

It sounds like you dont' consider this a "once in a lifetime" thing, so you can relax. India is pretty intense. It isn't like you will be bored, even if you don't get very far from your base!
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM

Here's a link to a trip to south India that a regular Fodorite (who's in cyberpurdah at the moment) took to south India recently that you might find useful: fodors.com/community/asia/travelaw-escapes-the-iz-for-rr-in-south-india.cfm
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

You guys- I thank you all for your advice. I have talked it over with my friend, and we have decided to stay in south India, as most of you suggested. We were thinking Mumbai and Kochi- do you all think that's feasible? We would do Mumbai 3days/2nights, and Kochi, Varkkallai, or Munnar (not all 3, just 1!) 5 days/4 nights (turns out I have 8 days, rather than 7). Like I said, I want to experience urban India, and natural India, and I think the south has plenty of both- what do you all think?
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:26 PM

From what you mentioned I would skip Mumbai and just do Kerala- 2 days Varkala (flying into Trivandrum), 1 or 2 Kochi (get there via backwaters), and 3 in Munnar (with driver and flying back from Kochi).
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I agree with Daphee. Skip Mumbai, and stick to Kerala. You can "experience urban India" in Bangalore.
Or go to Ernakulum, the busier commercial area of Cochin (Fort Kochi is just one small area) i.e. it takes too large a chunk out of your one week to make a special trip to Mumbai.

If you want suggestions for how to spend that week in Kerala, the Kerala tourist office has a website with loads of suggestions--or you can ask her can on other travel forums.

Taj Mahal is wonderful, but save it for another trip when you are already in the area.