6 Weeks in Southeast Asia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, everyone. My wife and I are planning a 6 week trip to Southeast Asia from June to July. We have done a fair amount of research and have an itinerary we are excited about. We know it is ambitious, but we don't mind getting up and moving a bit. However, we have a few questions:

1. How frustrating will it be to get to and from all the airports on our plan below? We figure it will be a little frustrating, but hopefully much less so than the bus.

2. Are there hidden airport fees or taxes that we wouldn't be able to find by looking at the airline websites?

3. It seems possible to buy many of these air tickets right now over the internet on Tiger, AirAsia, and Vietnam Air. Most are very reasonable. Is there any reason to wait until we get there to buy the air tickets? Will they be cheaper or more expensive?

4. What do you think about the places we are going? We've tried to hit the highlights of Southeast Asia. Anything crucial we are missing? Of course, if you think there is somewhere we should be going that we are not, please suggest a place we are planning to visit that you think is not worth the time.

Our proposed itinerary:

Bangkok, 4 nights
Fly to Singapore, spend 3 nights
Fly to Kuching, Malaysia, spend 6 nights -- see orangutans, proboscis monkeys, world's largest flower
Fly through KL to Krabi, Thailand, spend 4 nights -- snorkel, kayak
Fly through Bangkok to Chiang Mai, spend 5 nights -- trek, cooking class
Travel overland and by boat from CM to Luang Prabang, 3 nights
Luang Prabang, 3 nights
Fly to Hanoi (expensive flight!), visit Hanoi and Ha Long Bay, 5 nights
Fly to Danang, visit Hoi An, 3 nights
Fly to HCMC, 2 nights
Fly to Siem Reap (expensive flight!), visit Angkor Wat, 4 nights
Bus back to Bangkok (flight is too expensive)

Thanks so much!!
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 01:12 PM

What a wonderful 6 weeks!

Getting to the various airports is easy. None of the places you've chosen are far from an airport.

No hidden airport fees, but there are exit fees from some countries, notably Cambodia, though I can't remember the amount.

Your tickets on budget airlines should be purchases as soon as you have firmed up your itinerary. The closer it gets to your dates, the more expensive the tickets will be.

Getting to/from Siem Reap is expensive unless you are flying to/from KL on Air Asia or to/from Singapore on Jetstar. From Siem Reap to Bangkok via ground transport is really a taxi to the border then bus or train to Bangkok. www.talesofasia.com has all the details. Fortunately the scams are mostly in going the other direction, from Bangkok to Siem Reap. Another option is bus to PP, then a cheap flight to Bangkok.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done the overland SR to BKK with no problems and the road is in much better shape now. I also did overland - by coach and boat - from Saigon to PP and then bus to PP.

I thought the LP to Hanoi flight so overpriced I flew to Vietiane and took the night train back to BKK and then flew BKK to Hanoi! But I really like the Thai trains (second class). I'm thinking of writing an elegy for LP, which has changed so much since my previous visits, but if it's your first time in SEA I guess you need to visit. The boat ride should be great, but take a slow boat.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 08:05 PM

i would cut one night from chiang mai....and maybe add it to krabi...

i think you should spend 4 days in hanoi and only one night in HB..

look to see if the bangkok air pass would help you at all with your flights...
i'm wondering if there would not be a way to combine LP and SR in the same segment??
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

@rhkkmk, Thanks!! I have looked at the Bangkok Air Pass and I couldn't see any net benefit. We found many flights on Air Asia that seem to be significantly cheaper than the $70 plus fees in the Discovery Air Pass. Anything else I should consider?

Also, could you please help with the LP, SR segment idea? It is possible to fly LP - SR, but it is expensive, too. And then it wasn't clear how to get to Vietnam and back to Bangkok. I'm sure I'm missing something. I'd love any advice! Thanks!
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM

If you change your itinerary somewhat you could use discount airlines for most of the places you wish to visit and for the others a bus or boat. Thus you would avoid the costly airfares to SR and LP. Here is my suggestion
Arrive Bangkok
Using Air Asia Fly
Bk to Krabi
Krabi to KL
KL to Kuching
Kuching to Singapore

Singapore to Siem Reap by Jet Star

Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus (Mekong Express bus is the best). PP is worth a 2 day visit

PP to Saigon by bus – Mekong Express

Hanoi to Bangkok by Air Asia
BK To Vietiane by overnight train to boarder and then short bus ride. Worth a 2 day stay here

Fly or bus to LP

LP to Chiang Ray by slow boat to boarder then bus or taxi to Chiang Rai. 2 days here visiting the golden triangle

Bus to CM
Air Asia back to BK

As stated in above post make your air asia bookings as soon as possible to get the best rate.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Scotters. Great ideas! The Singapore to Siem Reap trip would definitely be much cheaper, as would skipping the flight from LP! If I understand your idea correctly, it would mean not visiting Hanoi or Ha Long Bay. Do you think getting to go to PP and Vientiane is an improvement compared to Ha Long Bay? Thanks again!
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scotters left out the Saigon to Hanoi link - you can fly or take the train or open tour bus (better the train). If you go overland you should stop off in Hue and/or Hoi An.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:30 AM

cheap air asia flts from bkk to hanoi are an option...

i am not a fan of halong bay.... you see similar rocks in krabi bay, just not as many...

i have a fab boat man in krabi if you want his info just ask