6 days in Japan with wife and son

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Pablo

6 days in Japan with wife and son

Hi, I'm going to spend 6 days in Japan on mid april, and for what I have read, it seems that it's not a long time, so I would like to ask all of you with experience visiting Japan, if you could suggest us a few places that we shouldn't miss during our visit.

I'm traveling with my wife and my 7 year old son.

Thanks.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Florence

Bonjour Pablo,

Where are you flying into and leaving from ? Tokyo/Narita or Osaka/Kansai ? Do you already know what you'd like to see ?

In Tokyo, you (and your son) might enjoy seeing Tokyo from the top of the new Town Hall in Shinjuku, or meeting sumo wrestlers while strolling around the Kokugikan. In Kyoto, the Toei Movie Land would be a great opportunity for your son to meet sword bearing samurais and for your wife to get her picture taken in a geisha kimono ;-) It might be a bit too early in the season, but try to go see some cormoran fishing in Uji. If you stay around Kyoto, a daytrip to Himeji and its castle might be a great outing.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Pablo

Thanks Florence for your response.

I'm arriving at Narita, and what I believe we would enjoy are historic places and I would like to experiment as much as possible of the traditions and culture, which are very much different than our own.

We would like to stay at least one night on a Ryokan.

For what I have read, Kyoto is a place that we would like very much, and I'm hoping to find those little corners that you must see, that probably are not on common books.

Thanks,

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:52 PM
Florence

I also think you should spend more time in Kyoto than Tokyo. Check www.jnto.go.jp for "technical" informations on how to travel inside Japan. You might consider buying a JR railpass (check with your airline, some will offer it or sometimes a good bargain on a flight between Tokyo and Osaka).

Have a look at http://www.kyotoguide.com/e-whatson/index.html for ideas about what to visit in Kyoto.

In both cities, Tourist Information Center (TIC) can arrange home visits for a half day with a Japanese family. In Kyoto, you can ask the TIC to find you a goodwill guide (for the cost of transportation and maybe a lunch) to show you around. Both are great ways to meet the locals and to be shown little known aspects of the place.

The Japanese love children, your son will be welcome everywhere, lucky kid he is

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:02 PM
Pablo

Florence, thanks for all of the great ideas that you have given us. I was wondering if you have any information on Mt. Koya. My wife is thrilled about the fact of visiting it, but I have not been able to find a way to get there from Kyoto nor Osaka.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:03 PM
Florence

You can go to Mt Koya from Osaka (train Nankai line, then cable car from Gokurakubashi station).

You'll find lots of infos through a search with "Koya san" on www.google.com

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:27 PM
linda

Dear Pablo,
just got back from japan with my 9 year old girl and 15 year old boy. We spent 2 weeks.
My daughter loved the japanese deer park in Nara. The deer will bow before you give them a cracker if you bow at them. ITs funny.
There are many little shopping stores just perfect for kids to get lots of trinkets. Take pieces of bread or buy the special crackers there.
There are many temples there too.

She also loved Himeji castle. We took a picnic there and played frizbee and threw paper airplanes on the field there. The castle was neat going through without your shoes on and sliding on the smooth floors and seeing how they defended their castle.

the golden temple is neat too.(in kyoto)

Rokko mountain was Also fun. Its kind of
hard to find the spots on rokko mountain but we went to an atheletic field on the top their in the beautiful trees. Had a 40 jungle gym course that you would climb on. IT was really fun and i liked climbing on it too.
You take a cable car up the mountain-buy a pass that include the bus ride at the top because you end up at the end of the cable needing a ride to where you want to go.

Well hope you have a great time.
linda