4 days in Bangkok

Old Jan 10th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 days in Bangkok

This is the blog for my short stay in Bangkok and the end of my SE Asian holiday:

http://altecockertravels.weebly.com/...-thailand.html
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 06:03 AM

two good restaurants not far from your hotel are tongue thai in back of the oriental hotel and harmonique near the huge post office on new road...

make sure to ride some boats from the pier near your hotel---free hotel boats or cheap chao payra express boats.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 07:27 AM

I love Centre Point! If you like street food, walk outside behind Robinson's and there is a food court, where you can get any food ( mostly Thai) freshly cooked. I usually get it for take away and eat in the comfort of my room. Right outside of the side door of Robinison's, is the best roti maker. I usually get the banana and egg. I have never gotten sick from eating from these places, but you might need to ask for not spicy when ordering. Also inside Robinson's, (and can't remember which floor 3 or 4, but its by the electronic dept)there is a great massage place. You have to look for it by the elevators but do not get a person named Ann.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 08:07 AM

Oh, you are in my usual neighborhood. I agree with Bob's recommendation of Harmonique. And do ride the public water taxis to the wats on the river.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

I am off to the Royal Palace today after doing laundry. I plan to take a boat or water taxi. I'll try and find the roti place. I am only here for 3 days so I won't have a lot of time. On my 4th day, it is really a rush to the airport for a 7:30am flight to Japan to change for the flight to Washington, DC, so that day is definitely not sightseeing.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

If I could just figure out how to get the dryer to really dry the clothes. It just seems to suck water out of them, but not really dry them. I have hung them all over the room. Fortunately, it is my last laundry in Thailand so I don't have to do this again. I wish they just had a laundry in the basement. If I were here longer, I'd search for one outside because the hotel charges by the piece.

No time for another massage.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

I will be back next year to check out Mr. Reclining.

I did make it to the roti guy tonight near the hotel.

The tour to the Bridge on the River Kwai booked by the hotel was chaotic. Saw things, but it was under less than ideal conditions.

You can only see but so much and I am meeting friends for dinner tomorrow night. I probably will not make it to the floating market.

There is no laundry in the building. The hotel does laundry by the piece. There are washers in the rooms. They are called washer/dryers but basically just spin the water out of the clothes. I don't need to do laundry again in Bangkok, so it's OK.

All you can do on these trips is see a few things and go home.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 09:37 AM

Why did the comments about the reclining buddha get zapped?
Glad to hear you will be back next year... So many things to see in Bangkok?
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 10:21 AM

Wow - I have no idea why they got zapped... that's weird.

Lauren, I always leave Bangkok with a long list of things I want to do next trip. The list just keeps getting longer.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Well, rhkkmk, you are entitled to your opinion. Making mistakes is how you learn. Your idea of a trip is very different than mine and you seem to want to criticize everyone who does not do things your way--which appears to be to brag about staying at the most expensive places you can find, etc. Often I find that people who do that often miss the real meaning of a country.

The last blog post is up until I return to the US. Now to the packing. I am meeting some folks I "met" online through the blog. As a result of the suggestions here, we are going to Harmonique.

Happy travels wherever they take you.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 01:28 AM

I have really enjoyed tagging along with your travels. The time has gone so fast, probably more so for you. Hope the weather is good for your return to DC. Here in Scitland, wet, windy and snow showers.
Take care on your travels, I look forward to your next adventure.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 03:05 AM

Come on Bob.... Lighten up on the AlterCrocker. I enjoyed her blog, she is funny and it was an interesting trip report that I really felt I was with heron the journey.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 05:51 AM

I have enjoyed your post and blog. I love seeing different views and experiences thru other people's eyes. I know you enjoyed it by the fact you will be going back next year.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 06:07 AM

I do apologize, BUT I feel in many ways you were ill prepared for the trip, otherwise how would so many things have gone wrong. one example might be the use of American cash in Cambodia.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 06:30 AM

Bob , true but sometimes these are the experiences one remembers most!
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

I am back home now and my trip is now a memory.

There will be a post on the blog about United Airlines not really giving economy frequent flyers two free bags international. I took ANA to Japan (part of Star Alliance). There is no one from United Airlines assigned to the Bangkok Airport. The whole check in procedure was handled by Thai Airways (also a member of Star Alliance).

Everyone in economy was charged for a second bag. I am going to complain to United, but I really have not much hope of getting my $100 fee refunded. Mind you, this was not a case of overweight baggage. It was extortion at the check in counter. It was pay up or not get your boarding pass.

And on the ANA Dreamliner to Tokyo (where I changed flights) seats in economy did not recline. The bottom of the seat slid forward although I could never get my seat to slide forward. I have never been so uncomfortable on an international flight in my life.

I thank all of you who made positive comments. Some people always have to have something negative to say online to show how "superior" they are. It generally reflects badly on those doing it.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 08:18 AM

Welcome home, Lauren. You have had quite an adventure!

I'm a little confused about your complaint about United. United no longer flies in or out of BKK, so there are no United personal at BKK. Unless you are Star Alliance Gold, you do get charged for your second piece of luggage whether on United metal or partner metal.
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

I am not a Gold member but I charged the flights on a United credit card which is supposed to entitle me two free bags. That was my complaint. There were a lot of people socked with that fee at the airport. The end result is next year I will simply have a larger suitcase. Yes, they are unwieldy but I am not being charged that fee again.

ANA did not even have a check in presence in Bangkok. Everything was done by Thai Airways. No doubt they pocketed a lot of spare change.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 09:16 PM

Are you sure you get two free bags with the United credit cards?

The Mileage Plus Explorer card gives you the first bag free, and the first bag for your traveling companion free, not two free bags.

The only way I know to get more than one free bag for yourself is to have United or Star Alliance Gold Status (and then you get 3 free bags).
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 03:09 AM

Only one free checked bag with the United credit card, but now United has changed its baggage policy and when traveling internationally they allow 2 free checked pieces however if when starting your journey you areon a partner airline ( was that the case here?) then it's the partner airline baggage rules that apply.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information