Search

3 weeks China

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2017, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks China

Heading for China in the next month of October with my girlfriend.
I arrive in Beijing from Lisbon on the 4th at 9:30am and leave on the 24th at 15:00.
After booking my flight I found out that I'm arriving on the Chinese Holiday Week! That´s going to be challenging!

Our ideia is to explore Beijing area, Guilin area and X'ian area.
I found out on the internet that is practically impossible to avoid the crowds (especially on the first week) and I can't change the flights now unfortunately.
So my ideia was to fly out from Beijing the next day.

We booked a flight to Guilin on the 5th at 12:30 arriving there at 15:30. I'm thinking on heading to Longji rice terraces directly from the airport and spend there 2/3 nights (finally some rest after the long trips of 3th and 5th). I know that the place must be full of tourists but we had no chance. I heard the terraces turn yellow before the harvest that begins in October. We hope to catch it on time.

From there maybe spend a night at the Chengyang to visit the Wind and Rain Bridge and the old town.
(Is it worth it? Any other option nearby?)

After that we'll head to Yangshou to visit the area ( whats the reasonable time to spend there?)
Suggestions are welcome for the Yangshou area
That's it from Guilin Area.

Heading to X'ian next. Probably by plane to save some precious time.
We really want to visit Mount Huashan and do some trekking over there (were not so experienced...).
My girlfriend was a little bit scared to watch videos from the plank walk! Is it safe?
What itinerary would you suggest in Huashan? (Sunrise and Sunset is a must do)
Where to spend the night?
Should I catch the cable car and do the trek between the peaks? The entire trek to the peaks seems to hard for us...

What about the city of X'ian?
To be honest the terracota army seems to us too much touristy. Going there just to see a pavillion full of them doesn't look that appealing for us.
I heard the food is amazing in X'ian!
How many days should I spend in the city? Should I go somewhere nearby? Any other suggestions?

From X'ian we go back to Beijing again to really explore the city.
Any suggestions here? Need some recommendations to visit the Great Wall with the least crowd possible.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 31st, 2017, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

If any of you thinks we should go somewhere else instead of X'ian tell me!
Old Jul 31st, 2017, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would probably be better off staying in Beijing for the first week. The Guilin area is very touristy at the best of times, and you' re proposing to head there at the worst.

There is a lot more to Xi'an than the terra-cotta warriors, although they are impressive. Have you consulted any good guidebooks?
Old Jul 31st, 2017, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Have you consulted any good guidebooks?

Nothing yet. Starting at some forums first.

I have no option but to go Guilin on the 5th Oct...
I'll head right away for the rice terraces. Staying there two or three nights on a wooden lodge in the mountains seems to me the best option in the Guilin area to spend the crowded weekend (https://www.booking.com/hotel/cn/lon...b2761b5c142861).
Do you have any suggestion?
Old Jul 31st, 2017, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Do you have any suggestion?"

If you mean for the Guilin area, no, only to wish you luck - I have been in China during that holiday. I already made my suggestion for Beijing rather than Guilin.
Old Jul 31st, 2017, 05:02 PM
kja

I can only comment on Xi’an and Beijing. There is MUCH more to Xi’an than the terracotta army, and I would also offer the opinion – and it is just that, an opinion – that you are underestimating the power of that army and ignoring the fact that there is also a museum with incredible artifacts at the site. And yes, you can savor some amazing foods in Xi’an. Beijing is also stunning.

You might find some useful information in my trip report; it’s long, but searchable.
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...na-amazing.cfm

DEFINITELY consult some good guidebooks! And give serious consideration to thursdaysd’s advice.

Good luck!