3 days in Hanoi

Search

3 days in Hanoi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Hanoi

We will be at the Sofitel Metropole in Hanoi for 3 nights late in November 2015. What would you do or what did you do with three days in that area on your first visit? Please note I asked what you would do and not what I would or want

Aloha!
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 11:13 AM

I was volunteering last year in Hanoi and spent 3weeks here.
Museums are worth a visit (close from 11-1pm) Hanoi has a great street market fri,sat,sundays. You could spend hours walking around the many streets, shopping, local restaurants and of course the beer corner. Around the lake you can experience locals exercising from walking, dancing, aerobics which starts from 5am.
There are great day trips / overnight trips from Hanoi. Last year I booked these in Sinh cafe. Halong bay is a must see. Mai Chau is also a great overnight trip to a local village where you cycle around rice fields and experience the culture.
Hope this helps
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See:

http://wilhelmswords.com/asia2002/index.html - A Tale of Two Cities - second half.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 01:38 PM

Let's see... we ate good food and we went to places like the Ethnographic Museum (excellent!) and the Temple of Literature (a must for us) and the nearby Art Museum. Also, across the street from the entrance to the Temple of Literature is KOTO, a cafe that trains street kids in the food service industry and next door is a fair trade crafts shop that has a fabulous variety of things (This recommendation for Linda only lol) and has a branch at the Ethnographic Museum. Hanoi has a wealth of small museums, and we visited many more, like the Museum of the Revolution, the Women's Museum, the History Museum. Also, just walking by the lake in the morning, watching people doing Tai Chi and old men playing Mahjong was a pleasure.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 02:31 PM

Aloha Peter - we loved Hanoi. I would suggest pre-booking a day with the Hanoi kids on your first day. It's a delightful way to see the main sites with local college students and you will have the opportunity to share experiences with them. On your second day you should spend the day wandering around the old city with its wide array of shopping streets, narrow alleys and great atmosphere. Wander over to the lake and stroll around it, ending up in the French quarter, or if you are exhausted, return to your hotel to relax, saving the French quarter, Lake District and puppet show for the final day along with any museums you may want to see.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 03:48 PM

I would spend every waking moment preparing for my friends to arrive. this could include sweeping sidewalks to prepare for them to walk on them... practice the welcoming coral group and full orchestra several times... scout out the best pastry shops for men's afternoon out... forget about the faux lux at Sofitel, a French chain, and prepare for the gracious lux of JW.. decide which of the many ice cream shops is the best... find the best steak..
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 04:46 PM

Book a day or two with Hanoikids and ignore the above "advice"...

Any chance of you guys making it to beantown in July for the GTG?
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 06:10 PM

Hi guy,
I had similar questions few weeks ago. U can see it here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...orth-to-do.cfm
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 12:22 AM

Agree with Craig, we spent our first day with Hanoi kids - first thing we did was go see Uncle HCM, then on to his compound, then museum of literature, and the museum of Ethnology.
Next day we wondered around all the shopping streets in the old qtr of Hanoi and saw the water puppets show, and took a stroll around the lake. There is a cute little cafe not far from here I'll dig out the name if you like. Of course you should go for lunch at Cha ca la vong ( make sure it's the original one not the new imposter)

We also checked out the mansions and shops/ restayrants of the French qtr.

I really liked Hanoi and hope to return,
We had a great meal at Green Tangerine a pleasant stroll from the hotel) and also a fab dinner at LA Badiane ( short taxi ride)
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 04:52 AM

Save the temple of lit., KOTO, and fair trade craft until we get there. Those 3 are on my list to revisit. Smeagol..unfortunately Uncle Ho will be in Russia for his annual vacation to get refurbished in Nov. We have never seen him as he goes the same time every year. The Hanoi kids are a good idea. You can tell them what you want to see ,how far you want to walk, and they can adjust their tour to your needs with cyclos,taxis , etc.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 07:33 AM

We have spent considerable time in Hanoi over 20 years. we know the old town well, and also the diplomatic area. Ask the staff where you are staying to organise a person to take you to the snake village. You won't want to eat at a snake restaurant, it's a particularly local custom that involves the heart and the blood and rice wine, and we would never repeat the experience, but the Cobras and the snake pits and also the dogs and civets will have you appreciating chicken, lamb and beef.

Talk to people like Handspan and Buffalo for excursions outside of Hanoi, up into the inland areas. Halong Bay is overly exploited now.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 10:53 AM

I stand by my suggestions
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 11:58 AM

Karen, he was back by the time we went mid November!
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 04:53 AM

Hope you get to see uncle ho. Very interesting.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 05:00 AM

This will be our third time in Hanoi, so hope we do get to see him
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 05:13 AM

On our first trip we spent most of one day walking in the old part of Hanoi observing the stores and street activity, eating with the locals in small storefront restaurants, and taking photos of the activity. If you do not want to walk, take a tuk tuk ride around the Old Quarter. You can cover most of it in less than an hour. We are returning to Hanoi in Jan. and we are looking forward to our reexploration of the city.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 05:16 AM

Karen, my understanding is he goes beginning of Sept and comes back first week (ish) November.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 10:31 AM

HE may stop by our hotel for a courtesy call
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 06:32 PM

Bob "decide which of the many ice cream shops is the best... find the best steak.."

These two places are worthy contenders:

http://elgaucho.asia/vietnam/?page_id=2
http://www.mooseandroo.com

Although I have to say that neither were quite up to the standard of the place you recommended to us in Boston many years ago!
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Lol

Thank you for all of your wonderful and thought filled suggestions. We will definitely do a few of them.

Karen: We will wait to see those venues with you two.

Kathie: We missed you two this year. Got to plan a gtg next year! Will def people watch...my fav thing to do lol. Hi to Cheryl!!

June: Looking into your suggestion on the kids as I write this, thanks!

Shelley: Thanks for the suggestions. We walk some, not as much as Linda likes but looks like I better get in shape lol.

Smeagol: Have your restaurant recos on our list. can't wait to meet you two someday soon!

mareeS555: 555 no snakes on the menu for us either lol.

crellston: Thanks for the info, will try one and report back.

thursday and isabella: thanks for the links!!.

nicd: Thanks for the tips!

craig: lol, no unfortunately we wont be able to make it to BOS in July. Would love to but Linda is out of vacation time. Meet up with us in VN!!

rhkkmk: the chorus and orchestra are already on hire. a limo will be there at the airport awaiting your arrival just look for the sign that says "King Bob". The streets will be swept and flowers spread as soon as the limo driver gives us the signal as he picks you up at the airport. We do want everything as fresh as possible of course! I have contacted the concierge at the Metropole to instruct him of our pastry and ice cream fantasies. He has promised to surpass our expectations...we will see. Looking forward to this trip. all will be ready so all you have to do is guarantee us that you will have Ho there!! The correct Ho would be appreciated

Aloha!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -