2 wks in Thailand -- recommendations?

Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

2 wks in Thailand -- recommendations?

I'm vacationing in Thailand very soon and looking for the best beach location? I'll be flying into Bangkok and will plan on doing the sightseeing thing. but also, am very interested in finding an amazing beach and enjoying it for a few days. What are your thoughts? Also, any recommendations for cheap and clean hotels/guest houses? I'm traveling on my own and want to feel safe. thanks!!!
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:26 PM

For culture and history : Atuthaya and Sukhothai.
For Jungle experience near Bangkok: Kanchanaburi and River Kwai.
I would head to Authaya, then Kanchanaburi, then go south east to the coast at say Hua Hin, then go along the coast to Bang Saphan for quiet beaches, then Koh Tao if you want diving then Koh Samui. South of Bangkok the highway(buses) goes close to the coast all the way down, also the rail line has frequent trains all along the coast. Along that coast you can also find very remote beach villages, farms, fruit plantations, nice part of the country though don't expect hoardes of other tourists outside of the main areas.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:27 PM

PS Clean fan cooled rooms budget B 300-400, for air conditioned 1-2 star style budget B 500-900.
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:42 PM

Ayuthaya: Tanrin Hotel $20
Not sure of your budget but these are places I have stayed that I have noted down that were good value and clean, might helpBR>Sukhothai: Quantum $25
River Kwai/Kanchanaburi: River Kwai Village $23
Hua Hin: Pala-u $8-18
Chumphon Cabana: $19
Koh Tao: SaiThong $12
Koh Phanghan: Cabana $12
Koh Samui: Coco Palm $15
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

James, thanks for all your great recommendations! Can you tell me, did you feel safe traveling via train? Also, did you travel by bus (long distance) at all and was it safe? thanks!
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Hi

My wife and I have been to Thailand twice. The first time we tried out Bangkok/Phuket and Koh Samui. The second time we did Bangkok/Krabi and Hua Hin. I have posted a long travelogue together with some pictures from these trips on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there?

Hope you'll have a great trip. Thailand is a very nice destination.

Regards
Gard
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:11 PM

1st and 2nd class by train is fine. Long haul buses are fast, I mean 'fast'. Always balance this with the cost of a car+ driver.
For example. A bus journey that costs say B 200 per person would cost about, very roughly, B 1,500 for a car and driver, so for 3 of you that would be B 500, for 4 of you B 375, so it is always an option.

You can buy 3+ sector fares from Thai Airways anywhere in the world ( you do not have to be flying into Thailand with them to get the deal ), it is a cheaper way to fly around the country. Call them toll free, check Yellow pages. These are cheap deals only sold outside of Thailand.