2 Week's After Goa in Vietnam and Laos

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Week's After Goa in Vietnam and Laos

WELL, we have booked another trip to Goa leaving on December 27th...We have a 2 week stopover in HKG...we have already been to HKG and BKK and Singapore and Bali, Cambodia, K.L., So with our 2 weeks are considering Vietnam and Laos..Maybe spend 2 nights in HKG so have 12 nights available..

Any suggestions for Vietnam?? Independent or tour?? Laos??

Thanks!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:39 AM

I always recommend independent travel. Take a look at recent posts, as there is a long discussion about package vs. independent travel in VN.

VN is easy to do on your own. You'll likely want to spend two weeks in VN, as there is much to see and do. You could "sample" VN plus Luang Prabang, Laos in two weeks, but don't plan on "seeing" both countries in two weeks. I'd recommend Hanoi as a good base in VN for several trips, plus you'll want time in the city.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Kathie..i only wish we could stay longer!! But would like to make the best of what time we have..

Do u think we should do the Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh City that seems to be so popular??

If so..how do u recommend we go between each city if not booking some sort of tour??

Appreciate your suggestions..Cause i am looking at a really independent arrangement..where we are on our own, but all of our transportation, hotels, etc are included..but it is a little pricey..
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM

Tracy, you could certainly do the trip you outline, taking trains or flights between cities. You can arrange your transport once you get there. Personally, I'd probably opt for just north and central VN, Hanoi and environs, and Hue-HoiAn, skipping HCMC this trip.

In my experince, you'll save at least half by going independently.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks..if i have anymore question later i will post..

I am looking at this one interesting small grp tour...It starts in Hanoi and ends in HKG..So you go to Vietnam and China..and it looks lovely..Actually..it is an independent tour..
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:26 PM

I was just in northern Vietnam (Hanoi, Tam Coc Park and Halong Bay) in Nov. 2005, and was really disappointed compared to my trip there in 1997. The noise and traffic from the motorcycles makes even the Old Quarter too much for me, but then I'm not a city person. I LOVED Laos when I was there in 2001. Do a float down the Mekong from Chaing Khong, Thailand to Luang Pruan and then bus it on to Vietienne. Great laid back, scenic country. Depends on your interest. Enjoy either!!