Reload this Page >

2 Days in Tokyo - What To Do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 07:34 AM
marc

Have 2 days in Tokyo and are looking for suggestions on a cheap/clean hotel and 2 or 3 can't miss spots. Any help you can offer is appreciated. (ps: also see 2 Day in Bangkok -What to Do? -that's us too. HELP!!)

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 06:24 AM
gtc

Can't help you with cheap hotels as I go on business and usually stay in pretty good hotels. <BR>However, if you are there for 2 days you want to at least go to Central Tokyo to see Imperial Palace and then tour Ginza at night. Go to Mt. Fuji area and visit Kamakura (Big Budha is there). If you can, take a day trip to Nikko (couple hrs north of Tokyo by bullet train-shinkansen. It is really nice there. <BR>

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 12:26 PM
Kevin

Marc, outside of some youth hostels, there is NOTHING cheap in Tokyo. As for places to go, the usual tourist spots are OK: Tokyo tower, the emperors palace, the 7 floor pagoda (whose name I can't remember right now), etc. For a night on the town, there are three main areas: Ginza, Shinjuku and Ropongi. Ginza is the business/shopping district. Pretty cool Sony store there with all the latest electronics. <BR> <BR>Shinjuku is around the Tokyo equivalent of City hall. There are also several universities nearby, so of course there are plenty of college crowd bars. You can spot these by the kids being pulled out by their slightly less drunken friends. Invariably, you will be intercepted by a kid looking to practice his English. If you're patient, you can probably scarf a few free Asahi's on the kid's allowance money. There are also 8 square blocks of red light district here. Segregation between natives and foriegners is pretty common though. You'll know which ones you're not allowed in by the evil eye you get from the bouncers outside. <BR> <BR>The friendliest area to us Geijin is the Ropongi. Many good bars and restaurants - both Japanese and foreign. Surprisingly, the best Mexican food I've ever had was at "La Cantina" near the big dance club "Gas Panic". Ironic, isn't it? If you want to pound beers, check out the "Bei Rudi". It's a German themed restaurant near the American embasy. Great Saurbratten, and a mega sized beer only costs 1000 yen. Plus it's pretty cool to see Japanese women in Laderhosen. Another fun place is the shabu shabu place next to the Hard Rock Cafe (which I also can't remember the name of, though we call it "the Yelling place" - you'll find out why). Lastly, make sure you try Geronimo's shot bar on the Roppongi-dori intersection. If you can drink 15 shots in one night (6-10 hours) they put a plaque on the wall with your name on it and you get a really cool T-shirt. Just bring a friend to carry you home. Have fun!

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 11:13 PM
Tracy

Try www.newkoyo.com it is a very inexpensive hotel...cheaper than hostels. If you have any military influance the best deal is the Sanno hotel. Must be active or retired military though. The thing not to be missed is the grocery stores in the basements of large department stores. Simply amazing to a foodie like me. <BR>The morning fish market is a sight to behold but get there early. Everyone says to avoid the morning train rush but it is something to experience..you will talk about it at dinner partys for the rest of your life...so what the heck,,give it a try..after all that ones free and thats a pretty good deal in Tokyo! Happy travels.