2-1/2 Days in Kuching - Still Struggling with How We'll Spend our Time

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My original thinking was to attempt a trip to Semenggoh Orang-utan Sanctuary on the first (half) day, a trip to the Sarawak Culteral Village on the 2nd (full) day and a trip to Bako National Park on the 3rd (full) day. That doesn't seem allow a whole lot of time to explore Kuching, however. Also, since this will be our first destination after coming from the east coast USA and spending the night in Singapore, we may or may not be feeling the effects of jet lag. Furthermore, I have heard that Bako is best seen on an overnight (which we have no inclination to do) as the wildlife is most visible early in the morning.

My thinking now is to take it slow on the first (half) day: wander the riverfront, do a little shopping and enjoy a pleasant dinner somewhere. Then we could do the orang-utan sanctuary on one day and the cultural village on the other day. This would leave additional time to explore Kuching and perhaps we could take in the Weekend Market and do a sunset river cruise without feeling pressed for time. My reason for asking all this is I am just not sure about the scale of Kuching - is it relatively small or is it somewhat spread out?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:52 AM

We just spent 8 days in Kuching a few weeks ago, doing general wandering around as well as day trips. If you are going to be jet lagged when you get there, I would spend the first day relaxing and wandering along the shops, Chinese temples and the waterfront. You can stop in at the old Courthouse, one of the prettier buildings from Colonial days and have a cold drink at the Magna Carta, a little cafe, on the veranda. Or if you want some local food, go around the corner onto Carpenter Street and go to the hawker stall across from the Chinese temple for pork sate, Laksa or kolo mee. Locals also like the kolo Mee and the soup at a place right off Carpenter at Bishop's Gate on the left. It has Jin in the name but can't remember the rest. It's always very crowded and I never managed to have enough time to wait for a table. On the other end of the waterfront is a bistro overlooking the water called the James Brooke (or the Charles Brooke...can't remember which of the two it was named after). Further down is another restaurant right at the end of the waterfront, but I didn't try that one. You could also take one of the little boats that go across the river. Many people travel there to have something to eat.

I did go overnight to Bako but it isn't necessary as we saw a lot of proboscis monkeys near the canteen, as well as macaques, monitor lizards and bearded pigs. Catch the red bus across from the Hilton, preferably at 7 am if you want a full day there. It's very easy and cheap. When you get to Bako you catch a boat to the park for 47 ringgits for the whole boat, so you can split the fee with others. The last boat of the day leaves at 4 pm and you can catch the bus back to town. If you go to the old courthouse, the park office is located right next to that cafe, and you can check further with them as to tide tables for timing on going to Bako.

We also went to Semengoh, which surprisingly was as crowded as Sepilok, but it is the only place near Kuching where you can see the orangutans, unless you go to Matang, which is more like a zoo. It is a fairly depressing place, but there are 2 young orangutans there who are absolutely adorable and a huge male who has unfortunately been there for years, as well as other orangs.

I did not go to the cultural village. Some people like it and others find it very touristy and manufactured. Depends what you're looking for. If you like outdoorsy stuff, we spent one day kayaking along a river and stopped at one of the villages. Beautiful scenery along the river. If you are there on a Sat or Sun, the market was quite extensive and colorful, especially the produce and live sago grubs! We were there Sat afternoon and apparently things get going more in the evening.

There is more than enough to fill your time there and lots of restaurants...you could eat all day and still not try everything. Have a great time.
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM

I'd agree that it makes sense to spend your first (half) day in Kuching, wandering the streets near the waterfront, doing a bit of shopping and such, and making a stop at the museum.

I'd do a day trip to Bako. Depending on how you feel about seeing orangutans in captivity, go to Semengoh or skip it. The reviews I've heard of the cultural village have been fairly negative. If you want to visit a longhouse community, you can get a day trip with one of the tour operators in the shophouses across from the river.

Kuching has a lot to offer, thouhg it's very low key. I could easily spend 2.5 days there without going out of town and feel there was still more I wanted to do.
Old May 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie - that is exactly what I was looking for.
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:46 AM

Semengoh is very close to Kuching. I think the feeding time is 9.15. From memory it goes for about 30 -45 minutes. You could be back in Kuching by about 11.

I went to the cultural village but it was during the Rainforest World Music Festival so I can't comment on what its like normally.