12 Month Stay in Thailand! How?

Old Sep 15th, 2022, 10:13 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 Month Stay in Thailand! How?

I want to go to Thailand and do a Maui Thai course, the course will run for 12 months. I was just a little confused on how one would stay for 12 months, since from what I can tell the visa is for around 60-90 days. I read that you can cross the border and the return through the same entry. Is this possible to just leave and enter the same day?
joshuaheathcote2592 is offline  
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 11:47 AM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,221
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can do "visa runs" but you need to research a bit as restrictions apply and it varies on your visa. They also change the restrictions from time to time.

Types of visa.
You can get a visa waiver if your country is in the visa waiver scheme (53 countries are) - this allows you 30 days without a visa (this may increase to 45 days - come October until March 2023.
Once in the country you can extend this at immigration for up to 30 days.
Doing visa runs - if you leave the country by land, you can re-enter (immediately if you so wish) but only twice in one year.
There is a limit of entries by air - I THINK it's 6 per year, but many people say they've never been checked.

A tourist visa is 60 days - this can be extended by 30 days - check this! (you need to prove you have 20000 baht on entry.
Then there is a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) - this lasts 6 months but requires more paperwork including a higher financial qualification.

Another one that MIGHT work for you is an EDUCATION visa - I don't know if this applies to a Muay Thai course, but it's worth asking the place you are training at.

Another way is to get a Non-Immigrant "O' type visa. Now again, you'll need to research how to qualify - there are several different kinds. They are normally valid for 90 days and extendable to a year. Most retiree expats have variations on this visa.

Some others to others to checkout are a sports visa or a "B" visa - business or work.

khunwilko is offline  
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 02:59 PM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 543
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggest you ask your Qs at a Thai forum for more local info. AseanNow, formerly Thai Visa, only one i know. Google will hep you and click on Visa information etc.
I do know that for any 1 yr retirement Visa extension, you must be 50 yr old, and drop 800,000 thai baht into the bank. Or be married to a Thai lady for cheaper rate but more stress.
jobin is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jan 20th, 2008 12:11 PM
Dec 18th, 2002 08:09 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -