12 Days in Vietnam Itinerary

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 Days in Vietnam Itinerary

Hi, my wife and I are planning a trip to Vietnam & Angkor Wat with the following itinerary in mind:

Day 1, March 12: Arrive in Saigon PM
Day 2, March 13: Saigon to Siem Reap / Angkor Wat AM
Day 3, March 14: Siem Reap / Angkor Wat
Day 4, March 15: Siem Reap to Hanoi AM
Day 5, March 16: Hanoi to Halong Bay AM
Day 6, March 17: Halong Bay to Hanoi PM
Day 7, March 18: Hanoi to Nha Trang PM
Day 8, March 19: Nha trang
Day 9, March 20: Nha trang to Saigon AM
Day 10, March 21: Saigon
Day 11, March 22: Saigon/Mekong Delta
Day 12, March 23: Return to USA AM

Any suggestions about adding/subtracting time in any of these places? Also, how difficult/safe is it to travel around without a guide if we don't speak Vietnamese? We'd appreciate any input!
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 11:29 PM

Its really 10 days as you are arriving in Vietnam PM and leaving AM. My initial thought is that you are trying to do too much in the time. Angkor Wat and surrounding temples are worth 3 days. Hanoi and the Mekong delta are also worth more time.

I have found both Cambodia and Vietnam to be safe and easy to navigate on my own. Biggest problem is crossing the street when you first arrive! Just take reasonable care with your belongings.

Also I'm not sure of the visa requirements when you are entering and leaving Vietnam twice. Personally I'd try and get a flight to Siem Reap the first night instead of stopping in Saigon. (Its only another hour or so)
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 01:39 AM

You need to cut this down to 3 destinations at most. Siem Reap, Hanoi and Halong Bay or Siem Reap, Saigon, Mekong Delta would be doable. I don't know where you are flying in from but Bangkok might be a better option to reach Siem Reap.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 01:55 AM

I agree with Craig. Limit yourself to 3 destinations. Unless you are desparate for beach time, I would forget about Nha Trang and probably go for 3 nights Saigon, 3 nights Siem Reap and 4 Hanoi with side trips as appropriate. If you give some more info on likes and dislikes you may get more specific responses. Also, I would suggest that you try not to enter/renter Vietnam as you MAY need to get a multi-entry visa.

As for traveling around, both countries now have a very developed tourism infrastructure (at least in the areas you are considering so ttravel will be easy even with now Vieatnamese).
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 04:01 AM

I will have plan to visit Vietnam next month. But I do not know what to do. Please give me advise. Thanks
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally agree you need to rethink this - I felt exhausted half-way through reading it! Siem Reap needs at least three full days, i.e. four nights. You have essentially no time in Hanoi. Have you factored in transit time?

I found Vietnam and Cambodia to be very safe, and travel to be no problem for an English speaker.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM

You have gotten some excellent advice, xephalon. Three destinations is max for a mere 10 days on the ground.

In terms of the VN visa question, you'll need a dual entry visa for this itinerary. The cost for this is about US$125.

flyerwatch - what should you do? Buy yourself a guidebook for VN (the Lonely Planet is excellent), read some of the many trip reports here about VN, decide what interests you most, draw up an itinerary and post it in your own thread asking for feedback.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM

Thanks for your assistance. I will bring the guide book with me (Lonely Planet) I already bought it. Thanks again.