1 nt Osaka 2 nts Kobe

Old Apr 15th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 nt Osaka 2 nts Kobe

After 5 nights in Kyoto (second trip) I'm thinking of 3 nights divided between Osaka and Kobe.

While in Kyoto we'll likely get a rental car for a single day (if not prohibitive) so we can combine a visit to the Miho Museum with Shigaraki for ceramics.

I had initially thought 2 nts Osaka and 1 in Kobe but actually, the more I look, it seems Kobe has more attractions, more to merit the 2 night stay.

Would welcome advice on:

* Best location for hotel base in Kobe (pls note I have arthritis so walk as much as I can but rely on being in a good location to start with)
* Specific hotel recommendations
* Restaurant recommendations (for affordable and copious Kobe beef of course!)

Your thoughts on the sites we should visit. I have, of course, been reading Japan Guide and other such resources already.

Thank you all,
Kavey
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 09:07 AM

If you find Kobe more interesting why not 3 nights in Kobe? You can day trip to Osaka from Kobe easily and quickly.

As a foodie you will find(at least I do) Osaka(Dotombori/Namba area) to be fascinating.

Aloha!
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 09:21 AM

We stayed at the Sheraton on Rokko Island which is a few minutes outside of downtown Kobe. There are many places in downtown Kobe to consider but if you have any SPG points the Sheraton has a shuttle to main places in town and is a nice respit in itself.

We always try the Misono restaurants when there is one available in town and Kobe has one(google it) that serves Kobe wagyu beef. We also had a lunch on our first visit to Kobe at one of the beef restaurants you will see if you shop and visit behind the JR Sannomiya station area. Lots of great shopping and eating venues in this area as IIRC there are three different train companies main stations that are located here (JR, Hankyu and Hanshin).

Aloha!
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

I don't have any hotel chain points... we tend not to collect/ do those much here in Europe.

I'm leaning towards either The B or Hotel Piena as they both seem well located both for transport and sightseeing... do the locations look good to those who know the city?

The reason I'm thinking of another night in Osaka is that it gives me the chance to wander around the city of an evening... I'm less likely to do that if staying elsewhere... but also, I'm looking into whether I can go to the city fish market (much smaller version of Tsukiji from what I understand) early one morning... not sure on this yet...
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

I decided to hold a room at Piena for 2 nights, can always add a third night if need be.

The trouble with the Osaka fish market is that it's not near anything of other interest. I can see one hotel not too far away, which would mean walking there rather than taxi (bit early for trains) but... nothing else about.

And, although my sleep patterns were disrupted very badly last time, waking me up at 3 not just for a few days but well over a week, I have no idea if same will happen this time. I think it's less likely given flight times this time around. In which case, am I going to get up at 3.30 to make it to the fish market in time for the auction?

Gah!!!