Reload this Page >

Where is it best to buy a ticket?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 06:06 PM
Mike

So, what does everyone think? Should one use a small internet travel agent, a local brick and mortar travel agent, an on-line travel service (like Expedia, Travelocity), or book direct with the airline? Consider the best rate vs. the best service.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 10:58 AM
Buck

The best place to purchase a ticket is at (www.hotwire.com) The only caveat is you don't know the airline or the times until you purchase. Just register and then get your quote on the cities you are traveling to. You will then have 30 to make up your mind but after the time runs out you can't get another quote on that same ticket for 72 hours, so have a price in mind that you are willing to pay when you ask for the quote, do your research first. Good luck, Buck

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 02:15 PM
Judi

One should find and work with a travel agent. Get some referals, visit the office, ask a lot of questions. Most of us are willing to help with even the most simple travel requests. We may not always beat the internet fares, but who you gonna call when your internet ticket has you delayed for hours in Chicago? <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 04:58 AM
Scorch

The best rate is likely to be booking on-line directly with the airline. <BR> <BR>The best service? What do you actually mean? A travel agent might be willing to shake hands and be polite, but travel agents only supply air tickets in hopes of drumming up other kinds of business -- they only make 5% of the price of the ticket, and airlines no longer give them access to special services (over-riding blocked seats, quick turn-around on changes, etc.) If you buy a discount ticket, they will often charge you a fee. <BR> <BR>On-line travel services may or may not be a good idea, because the airlines often consider them competitors for their own business. Many airlines do not allow you to choose your seat on-line. If anything goes wrong or is changed about your flight, you may be out of luck -- not informed or rebooked without notice, etc. etc.etc. <BR> <BR>Best plan: do your research re:flights, fares, availability, on line, then book directly by phone with the airline (and get a paper ticket) -- best of both, rate and service. <BR> <BR>PS: You didn't include on-line non-discount travel services such as American Express -- which has by far the best program for itinerary-shopping.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 10:51 PM
elise

Since I like to know that I have a confirmed seat, I usually book via the airline, either through the phone or their website...I'm guaranteed a seat and I know the airline I'll be flying...

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 09:28 AM
jd

Brick & Motar travel agent!!!! I was looking for tickets to go from Madison, WI (very small airport) to Munich during Oktoberfest. Tried many discount websites & airline websites, couldn't find anything less than $1200 per person. Called a local travel agent and got them for just under $800. <BR> <BR>Even going to that particular air carriers website now and picking those exact same flights that I am on, the cost is still about $1200 if I wanted to buy it from them.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:22 AM
aaron

I found a great flight on Expedia and Travelocity which had the same price. I gave it to my travel agent and she beat that price for the SAME flight by a couple of hundred per ticket. I use the sites for research but let my travel agent do the booking.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Jojo

Question for the last two posters: was the travel agent able to book your seat, too? My experience is that they get locked out of seat assignment and you end up at the back in the middle. <BR> <BR>