Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

What is the Worst Airport You've Ever Been In?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing all the talk about Miami, I thought I'd ask the question, what is the worst airport you've ever been in?

For me, it was the airport in Taiwan. It's not that clean, the restaurants, actually there are no restaurants, just fast food variations, are all made for locals.

There seems to be zero attempt to cultivate a western traveller.

May I never fly there again!
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM

The worst I have been in is Frankfort, Germany. Rude, rude,rude, people and the layout is awful. Walked and walked before finally got to our gate. Also plane landed way out on a tarmac and were bussed to terminal for about a twenty to thirty minute ride. Hope to never to thru Frankfort again!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM

The Moscow airport in 1994. Has it changed? Stairs were broken so you had to hop over 2 or 3 at a time, the escalators didn't work. Dirt and grime everywhere, and luggage came through any old turnstyle it felt like!!! And some of them didn't turn so luggage just got shoved thru a hole and piled on each other.

I just kept thinking...my lord and all those years I had been taught to be afraid of this country...and they can't even keep their airport together.

Now I'm about to fly in Nairobei and I hear its much the same as it was that day in Moscow!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
1) Pekanbaru, Indonesia

2) Dhahran, Saudi Arabia (circa 1996 prior to their new airport, which I've never been in)
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:47 PM

CDG.

I have quite a few problems at various airports, but no airports have so many issues that every visit was problematic like CDG.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:42 AM
LT

MIA is a pit. Not far behind are ORD & DFW, which have all the charm and cleanliness of a Greyhound station. One of my personal picks for worst airport is BWI -- poorly run, poorly designed, and horrible restaurants & shops. Plus, if you're flying in & have checked bags, you should expect at least a 30-minute MINIMAL wait for your bags AFTER you've arrived at the baggage claim area. I sometimes think they'll find Jimmy Hoffa waiting for his bags @ BWI . . .
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:54 AM

I haven't been in a ton of airports in my lifetime, but out of the ones I have, I despise ORD. By far the worst!

My favorite so far is Munich. Modern, clean, efficient, lots of shops.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM

I love visiting NYC, but can't stand LGA.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Leanna,
You don't have to worry about non-functioning escalators at Nairobi because there are none NBO's biggest problem is the lack of seating in the departures area. If you don't have lounge access, the best place to wait is Java House (their version of Starbucks) at one of the far ends of the intl terminal by gate 14, that's if you can find a table open.

I actually find DAR worse but not for the same reasons.

RE: CDG - terminal 2 has really improved in recent years although in December we had to bus to the aircraft again. How come other airports manage to bus passengers to/from the aircraft without it turning into a farce?
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Harbin, China circa winter 1992.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

The weirdest airport I've ever been in was the Berlin Airport in early 1992.

Everything was still very Hitleresqe.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Delhi, India.

Berlin Tegel is a close second.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM

I really dislike Dulles in DC area. I hope I never have to travel through there again. A close second is Heathrow, but the last time I was through there was before the new terminal opened. Maybe I would think otherwise next time...?

My favorites are Zurich and the new Bangkok airport.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Rasta, I was at TPE back when it was still called Chaing Kai-Shek airport. I remember is as being really crowded, loud and confusing. I got on the bus the day I got there and got on the plane the day I left but that's about all I can say for it.

I don;t know where you're from Rasta, but KIN is a bit of a free for all too.

The bathrooms at BOG make MIA look like a resort.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

SamH,

So, you pick two countries famous for their various drugs. I've never been to Jamaica, and seriously do not have a desire to go to Columbia.

TPE is really a nasty airport. CDG is just plain strange. Leave it to the French to design something aesthetically pleasing, but practically surreal. Changi airport is by far and away the best airport I've ever been to. I think dirt and dust was outlawed by the government.

It's truly a chaque por sois world out there.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM

I'm going to cast a dissenting vote about O'Hare. The United terminal is pretty nice and the others aren't that bad -- not great, but not terrible. The biggest problem with O'Hare is the potential for delays, of course.

My picks for worst terminals: Delta's at JFK and the main terminal at LaGuardia.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

andrews98682,

I agree with you. As an AA flyer, it's a pretty good airport hub for AA.

It's gotten a bit worse lately, as they've spread out into a couple more concourses.

I actually paid $20 last year to one of the folks who wheel people around in a wheelchair to run me to my connection. Try it sometime, it's an experience not to miss.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM

<<Delhi, India>>

If you think Delhi's bad, I'd give Bombay a wide berth, unless they've improved things in the last few years

Geordie
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Patty?? Are you the same Patty who helped me so much before w/ my journey thru Charles DeG airport? I was on my way to Morocco then and your directions were printed out and taken w/ me and they were sooooo much help!!! If you are the same Patty...thank you again!!!

Ok...so no escalators in Nairobi huh? And good tip about the lack of seating space. I'll get there early!! or....risk the floor I guess! Thanks!

I hear they also don't really stick to the carousel assigned when you pick up your luggage!!! I'll carry my prayer beads for good measure!!

What? Stay home......NEVER!
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 06:52 PM

Yes, I'm the same Patty

Actually there are escalators to take you up to departures when you leave but only stairs down to baggage claim when you arrive (but I assume there's an elevator somewhere).

If you're buying your visa on arrival, there's a visa desk at each set of passport control counters, so if one has a long line, you could check the other. You need to walk down a hallway that passes the prayer room and Kenya Airways lounge to get to the other set of desks. Most passengers head to the one nearest their arrival gate.

I don't recall being told which carousel and in any case, the baggage claim area is not that big. Baggage off loading does take a while.

Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -