Want to use United miles? Join OnePass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The award search function on continental.com shows lots of award seat avilability including many more *A partners than the UA search (NH, TG, OZ, for example).

A friend wanted a ticket from LAX to LHR this summer. Nothing but Standard awards at United.com. Went to continental plugged in her dates and got availability on AC and CO. We transferred miles using the link below from MP to her OP account and booked the ticket at the Saver rate. This was painless.

No awards on UA for LAX-SYD, but I can (apparently) book a ticket with CONNECTING flights: via BKK and/or ICN (and saw AC via YVR on some dates). In fact, I just found availability for the folloiwng itin: LAX-BKK on TG, stopover for a week, TG to SYD stop for a week, SYD-ICN-LAX on OZ. All for 125,000. In business class. I don't know if I can actually purchase this ticket (it would not be allowed on United Mileage Plus),

I linked my United account (1K) to my OP account in order to match my status to Platinum on CO. I have a CO trip coming up (first-ever on CO) and the Platinum status (the flyertalkers say) beats 1K for upgrades on CO.

I am going to love the new United (even the new font) if this kind of availability continues. Jeff Smisek is my new best friend.

This info is copied from a thread started at flyertalk by a customer relations guy from United:

Transfer redeemable miles between your OnePass and Mileage Plus accounts. Give it a spin at united.com/transfermymiles or continental.com/transfermymiles (both take you to the same place).

Match Elite status and combine Elite earnings for your OnePass and Mileage Plus accounts. For those of you who have Elite Qualification miles and segments/points in both OnePass and Mileage Plus, you can now combine these earnings to earn Elite status, Regional Upgrades and Systemwide Upgrades. Go to united.com/combinemyactivity or continental.com/combinemyactivity for all the details.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

It took a week to ten days for my OnePass account to show my new status. The mileage transfer was virtually instantaneous.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 03:17 AM

On the other hand, CO still hasn't allowed one-way awards, while UA has. So, to book O/Ws that's available on UA, one can transfer miles the other way from CO to UA.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 04:40 AM

Love my CO onepass program well worth it for me

for free flights free hotels upgrades

got 30000 free with their Chase CC not long ago.

Paid for some free hotels in europe on my last trip.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

No one-way awards is not good but the stopover plus open-jaw on the same itin is great.

I am having different results today. My travel dates are 10/23, 10/30, 11/6.

Today, when I am signed in, I get the TG nonstop in biz for LAX-BKK. For BKK-SYD it shows connections via HKG on TG/VS. For SYD-LAX there is only economy.

When I am signed out, I get the nonstop to BKK, the three nonstops for BKK-SYD that I saw yesterday, and SYD-ICN-LAX all in biz class. But after signing in it won't price out.

Similar thing for LAX-SYD-LAX on 10/23 - 11/5. Signed out, I get options in biz class for both legs but it won't price. Signed in (before the search) I only see economy.
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Here are the links to link your MP and OP accounts and to transfer miles:

Transfer redeemable miles between your OnePass and Mileage Plus accounts. Give it a spin at united.com/transfermymiles or continental.com/transfermymiles (both take you to the same place).

Match Elite status and combine Elite earnings for your OnePass and Mileage Plus accounts. For those of you who have Elite Qualification miles and segments/points in both OnePass and Mileage Plus, you can now combine these earnings to earn Elite status, Regional Upgrades and Systemwide Upgrades. Go to united.com/combinemyactivity or continental.com/combinemyactivity for all the details.
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

I might as well post something new here. New to me anyway: the OnePass award search now shows results for international first class.
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Bill
Do you have to transfer miles in order to join OnePass? I'm 1K with UA, but on taking a quick look at the CO website, I can see lots more fare opportunities for flights ORD-BKK. If I need to deposit miles in order to join, is there a minimum number? I've got plenty of miles w/UA.
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Carol, you don't have to transfer miles. Anyone can join. What you want to do is join and then get a status match of your 1K to CO Platinum.

After you join OnePass, use the status match link: https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/MP1101OP.jsp

Do the status match at least 10 days in advance of when you need it. I chose MP as my primary account for earning upgrades (a choice you have to make when doing the status match).

I am not sure if it is possible to use a SWU on CO yet. I think not.

From reading at flyertalk, I understand that on CO flights a CO platinum outranks a 1K as far as free domestic upgrades goes. So I am using my OP Platinum number, not 1K, on my upcoming CO flights.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

When you say you see more fare opportunities it sounds like you are interested in buying a ticket with $. But, I wonder if you mean you are looking for award opportunities. I think that is what you mean because CO doesn't fly to BKK.

If you are looking for award opportunities and find what you want from Continental, then you would need to transfer that many miles to OP so that you could get the CO award.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Unlike the status match, the miles transfer is instantaneous. You would not have to wait the 7-10 days to book an award.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:26 AM

I am getting a message that my UA and CO info does not "match up" after I went in and got a op-ff number. I'm trying to do the combining mentioned above. What, exactly, has to match?????

And yes, Vill, I'm looking at fares for BKK in July. CO shows Z fares right on the search page!!
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Ummm that should be Yes, Bill haha (I'm eating lunch w/one hand and typing w/the other)
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

I think it means that your information in the two accounts doesn't match. Open two browser windows and go to both FF account details pages and check them side by side.

Did you look for a Z fare on United? The flights you are seeing at continental are probably all operated by United. The Continental fare might be lower than United's, but maybe not.
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM

Continental fares ARE lower!! An economy ticket for my prefered dates is $1976.60 + taxes on UA. Same (almost identical) itinerary is $1644 + taxes on CO.

UA doesn't ever show me Z fares (or maybe I don't know where to look) but yes, I'm considering this option.

Thanks for the idea of opening the two windows side by side. I guess I need to make sure all i's are dotted and t's crossed exactly the same!

I surely don't need to 'match' passwords do I???? That's be a bad idea.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

A Z fare is business class on United, so just search for business class fares. I did this for July 7-18 and got $3650 on Continental ($3767 all in). All the one-stop options were all operated by United. On United, I got a higher fare but the same $3767 ticket price. Same flights.

United also shows options using ANA for either ORD-NRT or NRT-BKK, or for both legs. And also combinations of ANA and United at the same price.

Do you have the Chase Mleage Plus Visa that earns EQMs when buying tickets? You would get the EQMs if you buy on United. I am not sure but I think you might get the EQMs if you use that card to buy at Continental (or at fly-ana.com). The 3600 EQMs is something to factor in.

You don't need the status match for this trip because either way you can just give your Mileage Plus number when you make the reservation I am pretty sure that you want to use your MP number in your res if you buy at continental, because you will be flying on UA. The only exception I think would be if you figure you will be flying 100,000 miles on Continental this year.

No, not necessary to match passwords. Probably can't do it anyway as OP just wants 4 characters.
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:00 PM

Aaaarrghhhh... now I have to contact UA about removing my middle initial so that my names match EXACTLY on the two FF accts (UA and CO). What a headache!!

Hopefully it all works out and my accounts will 'match' and I'll be able to book on CO based on my 1K status w/UA.

And yes, I know CO doesn't fly to BKK. I will fly on UA. But, hey, if CO has cheaper ticket prices....... why not book with them??
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

>Continental fares ARE lower!! An economy ticket for my prefered dates is $1976.60 + taxes on UA. Same (almost identical) itinerary is $1644 + taxes on CO.<

Ok, but click on through to get the all-in full ticket price and compare them. I saw a fare difference between the two for the Z fares, but the ticket prices were the same. Your fare difference is considerably higher, though. The diff I saw was only $32, but still - compare the prices of fare+tax.

Are all of your SWUs used up or already committed?
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:35 AM

I have 4 SWUs left to use. SWU prices are around $2500 for my dates. The best availability seems to be via SFO (744s) on 837 and 838.

Waiting for UA to remove my middle initial so I can match up my accounts. I did not realize it would be such a headache to do.

I suppose you are right about following through to get the all in fare on CO. I did not do that. I just looked at the base fare. Is there a reason why their taxes/fees would be higher than UA, so that the all-in fare is about the same?

Travelling today, but I'll be on line later on this evening. DS is coming into OHare around 3pm and it's a good 3 hour drive from here. We are then spending the weekend in Chicago for a trade show.
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:35 AM

One more question... how do you get UA to show you Z fares??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -