Using Your FF Miles - I hate to use them for ordinary fares

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My principle has always been to use save up and use for business class, or big international tickets (to India). I don't acrue that quickly so this takes time. This makes more sense because the value of the mile is much higher (I could never afford a biz class ticket on my own). But I think I am about to cash in 75,000 miles on Delta to buy 3 tickets to California from ATL for summer. Ticket prices are currently in their normal zone, not to costly but never cheap. I know there are rarely sales for our timings. We are doing this because too many expenses are hitting the books right now and it just seems like we should...but it is killing me to "waste" them and not save for the extra. I guess no question here, just hand to lament, wondering if others have a "rule" about how they use their miles.

Happy travelling........
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:30 AM

My personal rule is not to use miles unless my return is at least 2 cents per mile.

The last time I cashed in, it was August business class fare from KC to Scotland. 90,000 miles and the cheapest tickets I saw (over many months of checking) were over $4,000.

Keith
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:32 AM

Remember, Atlanta to California is a lot of miles that you won't get if you use your miles. I'm tempted to purchase a Florida to Austin ticket with FF because the ticket price is over $400. Summer tickets are rather high but it is too early to book.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The "conventional" math is that using 25,000 miles for a $368 ticket (ATL-LAX, early July on Delta - don't know your destination/dates) works out at a value per mile of $0.014. Conversely, buying the ticket would get you 3882 "new" miles, earned for $0.094 each. Lousy deal either way.

Of course only you know your budget and all that; if it's miles and a vacation v. no miles and no vacation, well then who are we to disagree?

As with Keith, I never use miles unless there's a clear net benefit - in my case I set the line at $0.03 or higher - compared with the (typically) $0.015 I paid (directly or indirectly) for those miles in the first place.

In your case, if you have sufficient miles, a first class award on Delta at 45,000 miles v. a FC fare of $1132 (same dates/flights) yields $0.0252, a better deal.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Its obvious that the most cost beneficial use of FF miles is for upgrades, particularly for cross country and international travel. Add to that the lousy service, seating, etc. one receives in economy, which is only expected to get worse as the airlines cut back more and more, compared to the perks you get flying business or first, and it just doesn't make sense to use FF miles for ordinary fares unless it is truly the only way you can afford to travel.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM

I don't think you wasted any miles. I think you got FREE AIRLINE TICKETS. This is a good thing. And you still have about $1200 in your pocket.

I value the miles at only a penny.

Just today I spent 25,000 miles to get a coach ticket for my brother. The ticket would have cost him $400. I am very happy with this.

I earn miles at a 100% bonus rate on flights and can change or cancel the FF award reservation with no penalty.

I don't agree with the conventional math on FF mile costs or value. I think that a lot of it is goofy.

What REALLY MATTERS are elite qualifying miles.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:22 AM

I don't completely agree with the convetional wisdom either. I'd rather get one or two free trips a year, even in economy, then have to save my miles for two or three years to earn enough to take one trip in business or first. Even though from a purely financial standpoint I might come off better, I wouldn't feel I'd be getting as much out of my miles.

Also, sometimes I use my miles for an economy flight because otherwise they'd expire.

Ed
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:05 PM

I used FF miles to get 4 of us to Europe this summer. That felt so goooood! We could not have gone otherwise. Had to buy one ticket at the "bargain" price of $1225 (after seeing prices of up to $2200). I felt it was a great use of miles for us.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Have always used miles to get business class tickets to Europe or Caribbean; however, due to health issues, will only be travelling domestically from now on, so am using miles for two first class tickets PHX to BDL in October. Since I'm not saving them for really big ticket items, might as well get a little more space on the domestic flights.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 02:43 AM

If you use up all of your miles, it may be a good time to join another airline miles club.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM

mrwun,

FF miles can be worth WAY more than a .01 per mile.

I just booked biz class tix on UAL from DC to Argentina. Cost me 80,0000 miles per ticket for seats worth over $9000 each. That works out to over 11 cents a mile.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:05 AM

"Value" is a subjective thing.

For someone (like me) who sees two trips to Europe in coach better than one trip in business, using miles to claim for coach is therefore the better "value". It doesn't matter if the business class ticket cost a million. It means nothing.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:34 AM

Certainly that's one way to value FF miles.

Most people refer to the numerical value they get for each mile. ( Divide the Dollar value of the ticket by the number of miles needed)
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM

Yes, value most definitely is a subjective thing.

The $9000 is the price of the ticket, not the value.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:54 PM

There is a big difference between the purchased, refundable, ticket and the FF award ticket: you can take the purchased ticket back to United and they will give you $9000 for it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:54 AM

Very few people purchase a refundable ticket since they can easily cost twice as much as a non-refundable ticket.

Miles used for a FF award can be re-banked for a small fee is you decide to cancel your ticket.

Once you stray from rating value on a quantitative basis....then value can be anything that the ticket holder wants.

For example, a business person might be willing to pay 3 times the cost of a ticket to get to an important meeting. Someone might be willing to pay any price to get on a full flight so they can visit a dying relative.

Since there is never a way to quantify the "emotional value" of a ticket...that value must be left to each individual.

The value gained for each mile used, can easily be quantified.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:53 AM

When I mentioned upstream that I bought a ticket worth over $4,000, that was the nonrefundable price.

I have never even priced a refundable ticket. I have no idea what they cost.

Keith
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM

Keith got a good value. He was willing to pay the $4000 for the ticket. He valued the ticket at that cost in dollars. It was worth it to him.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM

Almost always, I will use the miles to upgrade a coach ticket to business class.

However, next year my miles are currently scheduled to expire, so I will use them to get two RT SFO-Europe tickets with miles only.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

So here is the funny thing, I decide that I am going to go ahead and use the miles.. three tickets ATL to SFO on Delta (if I get saver rate). I am supremely flexible - I want to go sometime around 6/17-6/30 and return sometime around 7/11-7/18 for anywhere between 17-25 days or so. That is pretty flexible! I don't want red-eyes, late nights and I have to have non stop at least there (flying by myself with 3 kids). So even though we are 6 months in advance, I am very very flexible on dates I am still having hard time finding saver fares! I even looked at alternate airports, flying into Sacramento etc. I think today I will call Delta instead of playing around with their online system to try and find something.... So while I decided it was ok at 25K per ticket, I don't think it makes sense at 50K per ticket. Do they only free up 2 seats a flight for saver fares or what! I guess all the strategizing is fruitless if you can't use them! I'll keep looking and maybe get lucky. Thanks for all the responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -