Going through Security ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling internationally in several days. I purchased one of those Pac-safe handbags which has wire inside to prohibit anyone from slicing the handbag open. It also has some type of wire through the strap. Will this sound off alarms? I hope I will not be detained. Has anyone gone through security with one of these handbags? Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 05:57 PM

the bag will go through the machine and not with you. So no, it shouldn't set off the alarms.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Oh that is correct I forgot. Thanks. Good point.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As above, your pocketbook (doesn't matter the type) goes thru x-ray screening, not the metal detector. Even if you are detained, it's no big deal, you just get called over to the side and they swipe around your body with a hand-held metal detector.

No I don't have that type of handbag because I think they are too heavy and I'm not convinced the effectiveness of the idea. I just use a normal one.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

I certainly don't care much for it I can tell you that--I have that in addition a secret waist wallet, and the passport around the neck. I went a bit overboard but the handbag is not at all heavy. I have others much heavier than this handbag which I am not taking. I don't know how effective it is or not and until I am there I won't really know if I over did it!!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The debate about the wired type straps is that most often a pickpocket is not working with a knife. They usually aren't cutting the purse off of you, rather a grab-n-run. Some people thing they are dangerous, because if you do hang on, you could be dragged down the street (like if they are working from a motorscooter).

The thing you can do to best keep your purse from being snatched is to keep track of it. Don't set it down on top of your suitcase in a train station, don't drape it over the back of a chair in a restaurant, carry it close to your body and be aware of who's bumping up against you in crowded places.

I think most people use either a hidden money belt around their waist OR a neck pouch, not both.

You'll likely never know if you "over did it" because hopefully you will have no negative experiences, but there's no way to know if that is from all your precautions... or if nothing would have happened anyways!

Safe travels, suze
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Well this is true how will I ever know? Actually some of it is for DH not just myself just to clariy but I have covered all bases and no I would not be so foolish as to drape it over a chair and attach it like the video show you can do. I will be with tour groups and be aware of my surroundings at all times. If I went that far to feel secure I will certainly follow up. Thanks--I leave tomorrow.