Transit via Paris Airport (CDG) with & without wheelchair

Search

Transit via Paris Airport (CDG) with & without wheelchair

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2024, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for tips for transit via Paris Airport (CDG) with & without wheelchair

Looking for experiences & tips on navigating the connection at Paris with & without wheelchair assistance for someone that is traveling solo for the first time and may get tired walking the long distances between terminals.

​​​​​Time between two flights is 2 hrs. And have heard some bad experiences e.g. wheelchairs being delayed, so looking for some inputs !

Also if the two flights are operated by different airlines, who is responsible for coordinating the transit leg of the journey if wheelchair assistance is requested for both flights? How to ensure the right folks at airport receive the request?

Looking for tips & suggestions so there's a plan A & B

Thanks!

Last edited by explorer2212; May 25th, 2024 at 05:29 AM.
Old May 25th, 2024, 06:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not ever having needed a wheelchair at CDG I have some ideas but am not at all confident I'd be able to answer your question. (I have a couple of times at other airports but always with both flights on teh same airline)

You're looking for very specific knowledge about the workings of different airlines at CDG -- so my suggestion is to register on FlyerTalk and ask there (FT is run by the same folks who run Fodors). I have never (ever) seen an air travel question that stumped them . . .
Old May 27th, 2024, 07:12 AM

You do not need to go to FlyerTalk unless you would like to join.

Usually the wheelchair assistance would be requested by you at the time you purchase your ticket, or after that, by going to the "manage your trip" section of your airline ticket voucher. (I am assuming here that you are buying a ticket directly through the airline(s).

The wheelchair assistance is not provided directly by the airline but by the company that has the contract with the airport.
In Spain, for example, the company is AENA, in many US airports it is ABM. It doesn't matter. You request the assistance when you buy the ticket.

At the time of check-in, the agent will be able to see that you have requested the assistance. They will direct you to the seating area where you will be collected by the person pushing the chairs (from one of the companies Ii mentioned, or whoever has the contract with that airport, in your case, CDG).

Yes, it can take time for the person to collect you, so you should plan to arrive early at the airport.
Once they collect you, with the chair, they will push you through security and either leave you at your gate, or leave you at the lounge of your choice, if you happen to be flying in a premium class.

They will then collect you once again when it is time to board.

It does not matter about using different airlines; just request the assistance with your first airline and they should take it from there.

Do plan, as I suggested, to arrive a bit early at the airport.

Upon reaching your destination, there should be an agent at the exit with a chair to take you to your connection, and another at the airport of your final destination.

What airline will you fly?

I would not worry about the connection time. It is on the transit company to get you to your gate in proper time.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; May 27th, 2024 at 07:16 AM.
Old May 27th, 2024, 08:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
CDG can be a total zoo sometimes (pretty often actually) and it could make a difference whether the OP is entering Schengen, leaving Schengen for the States, flying intra-Schengen. whatever.
Old May 27th, 2024, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by explorer2212
Looking for experiences & tips on navigating the connection at Paris with & without wheelchair assistance for someone that is traveling solo for the first time and may get tired walking the long distances between terminals.

​​​​​Time between two flights is 2 hrs. And have heard some bad experiences e.g. wheelchairs being delayed, so looking for some inputs !

Also if the two flights are operated by different airlines, who is responsible for coordinating the transit leg of the journey if wheelchair assistance is requested for both flights? How to ensure the right folks at airport receive the request?

Looking for tips & suggestions so there's a plan A & B

Thanks!

Flying Delta & Air France , could navigate without wheelchair if required but have opted for wheelchair for peace of mind since navigating the CDG airport could be complex for first time,solo traveling senior!
Old May 27th, 2024, 02:31 PM

I think you did well.

With the wheelchair (if you have the same experience that we did on two European trips in the past few months) you will go right through security and immigration without waiting on line, and will not have to tote any of your carry on bags.

For large airports like CDG and many others, having assistance can be very helpful for some people and can make the difference between being able to travel or having to stay home.....

Just plan to arrive at the airport two hours in advance,, or even earlier if you are somewhat anxious.

Makes no difference if you are traveling within Schengen or not....with the assistance, they will not let you miss your flight, as long as you show up on time...
Old Jun 1st, 2024, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for helpful responses! Will stick with the wheelchair.

Does anyone know how the golf carts are requested?