Search

tight connection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 11:16 PM
pat
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tight connection

I`m flying from Boston to Philadelphia on US air. I didn`t realize the plane is often late and I have a little less than one hour between flights to make it over to my AA flight. From Philadelphia, to Dallas, I switch over to AA. If I miss that flight, there are a couple of more later ones. The problem is, from Dallas to Reno, there are no more flights that night. If US air causes me to miss my AA flights, (because they are late), do I pay for a hotel room in Dallas or would US air pay, or AA? My ticket is non refundable, from Fly4less.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 11:30 PM

Someone else will know official rules, but it seems that if you bought USAir flight separately from the others, USAir has no responsibility other than to get you from Boston-Phila. If you bought one ticket Boston-Reno, under certain circumstances the airline is responsible (but not in case of bad weather)

My suggestion is to show up early and see if you can fly standby on an earlier flight - they will often do this for free (my husband does this all the time)
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:40 AM
J62

Another consideration is when you will be able to get your AA boarding pass.

If you get your AA boarding pass in BOS, either at the airport or at home on the internet (I recommend this regardless), you'll satisfy the AA required checkin time and won't forefeit your seat.

Since you bought 1 ticket from fly4less, I don't know how the checkin rules apply.

Same day standby sounds like a good idea. I do it all the time myself and have never been turned down or charged if there are open seats, and USAir BOS-Phl has very frequent flights like a shuttle.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 07:55 AM
pat
Original Poster

thank you. I can get to Logan early, and will try standby! I do plan on webcheck in. It was an all in one ticket from fly4less. Looks like there are seats available on most of the US air flights, so hope it works out for me. I have learned one thing- Don`t change airlines if you can possibly help it! I have also learned to notice if there are any more flights available later coming home. Reno is a small airport, and it`s always difficult to find flights coming back late in the day. I guess that`s one advantage of living in a big city--more flights coming back at a later time. Again thank you.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:55 AM
pat
Original Poster

I did call US air, and if I try to go standby, it does cost $25. I think I will just pay it. At least I won`t be stressed out about missing a plane. If I try to change my ticket, it costs a lot more than that leg of the ticket even cost!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Often airlines have an official standby fee that they do not actually charge - so go to the airport early, smile, be polite, and act as if you know nothing of a fee. It might work. (Husband reports if there is a fee he has to pay it about 10% of the time)
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:41 AM
pat
Original Poster

Thanks Gail, I will try that!