Theft from your checked in luggagee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had an experience and want to alert or remind people about it. I returned from a trip out to LA this past Saturday. When I got home and started to unpack, I noticed some jewelry items missing out of a little cosmetic case I had stored them in. Now, this wasn't real flashy or glizy jewelry, but did contain some nice silver and a very modest diamond necklace and earstuds (which i had even placed these 2 items in a tiny zip lock bag like you get extra buttons in when you buy a jacket). These items had more sentimental value to me than monetary. What happened is that we checked out of our hotel Friday and drove to visit my fiance's brother in Palm Desert. We then stayed the night at his brother's. Next day we packed up to go back to the airport (LAX). I couldn't fit everything in the carry on so I put the case in a suitcase that would be checked in. We got to the airport a couple hours early, got checked in and then instructed to leave the luggage at the security checkpoint where they loaded it on the belt and through the x-ray machines. That was the last time I saw the suitcase until we picked it up back in Mpls. I know I didn't leave the jewelry at the house we stayed or the hotel. I checked with the brother and they didn't see anything and I did check with the hotel too. I'm sure I didn't leave it at the hotel because the bracelet I wore when we checked out is amoung the missing items. I did speak with a Security guy about this and he thinks it happened once the baggage was in the airline's custody. It just really bothers me that someone had enough time to go through my suitcase, grab and unzip the little case in which the jewelry was all mixed up, lay it out and pick out what they wanted and replace the case back in my bag. I feel so violated! To tell you the truth, I don't think I'd be so upset if they had just lost the whole suitecase! With all the security and things not allowed on carryons, you just think it'll be okay to put it in your checked in baggage. So, my big lesson is to never take security for granted, if something is valuable to you, no matter how small, bring it on your carryon.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM
pat

I can`t imagine jewelry would take so much room that you couldn`t put it in your carry on. Why didn`t you at least use a TSA approved lock on your suitcase? Or did you?
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Can you use TSA approved locks on international flights?
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Never ever put anything in your checked luggage that you will be upset about it you never see it again. Either put it in your carryon or leave it home.

I know how upsetting it is to have items stolen, I had some clothes stolen from checked luggage a couple of years flying home from the Burbank Airport. Losing clothing is not the heartbreak however that losing jewelry is.

I just read a day or so ago two airport employees were arrested on theft charges. It happens. And about using a TSA approved lock..well the airline employees can open the lock so again do not put anything in your checked luggage that is precious or very important to you.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Neglex, flying back from Zurich I asked at the airport about my TSA lock, they just waved my suitcase in

It was 2 years ago, maybe the rules are different now.

Trivbeck: every suitcase goes through x-rays these days. Easy to spot anything to take out. And it doesn't take long when somebody knows what to go after.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
pat

I just used a TSA lock going to thailand. Isn`t it only US airlines that want your suitcase unlocked, or else have a TSA lock on it? Some places won`t take your luggage without a lock, like some Asian countries, because of the problems with theft.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM

It's not "US Airlines" that want your bags unlocked, but flights to/from/within the US. If your bags are going straight to the US, they either have to be unlocked or TSA-approved lock. Or TSA may cut your lock - and what they cut may be more than just the lock itself. Doesn't matter which airline you're flying.

But it's true that many countries expect your bags to locked. Last fall, the check-in agent in China was shocked to see I don't have locks on my checked luggage, but they did take it.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM

rrkwan - I think Pat meant U.S. airlines (in general) not US Airlines (the airline company).

Even with locks, packing valuable (monetary or sentimental) items in your checked luggage is a risk. Let's face it, even high paid government employees steal, so why would we expect the low end employees to be above reproach.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Yes, sorry for my misuse of the capital letter. But in my post, I do mean "US airlines".

My point is whether a lock is allowed is based on the route, not the carrier.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM

You're right, it's US airPORTS that have the requirements not airLINES.

I was reading her use of "US airlines" as meaning the actual airports rather than the carriers.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:57 PM

TSA lock are only useful wihtin the US. Since the no lock requirement took effect, we have use fairly heavy plastic cable ties to secure all of our luggage. On one trip, the cable ties on one bag were removed and replaced with a lighter weight orange ties and we found a note inside indicating that the bag had been searched. Carry a large toe nail clipped to remove the ties. Seem to work pretty well. Never had a problem.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Interesting note about the two baggage handlers at Seattle-Tacoma who were arrested for stealing. In news coverage, the point was made that travelers who have been ripped off should make a report to the airport police as well as to their carrier.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 03:32 PM

My parents flew out of the DL terminal at LAX on Monday and noticed that someone had gone through the toiletry cases inside their checked bag when they arrived at their destination. There was no TSA note so they suspect whoever did it was looking for jewelry or other valuable items. Nothing was taken since they had nothing of value. Should they file a report if nothing was taken? I only travel with inexpensive jewelry but I made sure to put it in my carry on yesterday.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:03 AM

There is a reason why the "fine print" on airline contract of carriage states that they are not responsible for valuables such as jewelry or electronics in checked baggage. Too many people handle checked bags to assure total security of contents. TSA procedure are designed to prevent potentially hazardous items from getting on board. Theft from check luggage has been around a lot longer than TSA.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:08 AM

<<TSA lock are only useful wihtin the US.>>

You can use the TSA approved locks for international flights leaving the US but not coming back because only TSA employees have the keys and if security (in Paris, for example) wants to examine your suitcase, they'd cut the lock off.

Baggage handlers do not have the keys, only TSA employees.

I'm sorry your jewelry is missing but as others wrote, don't ever put anything you'd hate to lose in checked luggage -- carry it with you or leave it at home. I hope it turns up.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM

You can be sure all the thieves have the TSA "keys" too. I've had stuff stolen from my suitcase twice. The first time the case was unlocked, the second time the lock was gone when I took it off the carousel.

Nothing terribly expensive, but one item had sentimental value and I was sad to lose it that way.

My son had a big pack of CD's stolen from his suitcase when we came back from Europe. Of course they don't replace them...Thank heavens for MP3 players now!

I put a TSA lock on my suitcase and also place one of those little nylon tie locks on it. If security wants to examine my bag, they still can, but it takes a little longer to get into and will hopefully discourage a thief. Has worked so far.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 11:23 PM

<<< if security (in Paris, for example) wants to examine your suitcase, they'd cut the lock off. >>>

No they just open it - for some reason the customs / security folk of most countries seem to have that ability (and a big collection of keys)
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 12:47 AM

I've used combination locks worldwide for years with no problems (not to USA though).
I will be buying those TSA combination locks when I visit Florida in a few months time.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:23 AM

<i>My parents flew out of the DL terminal at LAX on Monday and noticed that someone had gone through the toiletry cases inside their checked bag when they arrived at their destination</i>

Perhaps they were looking to steal drugs?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:44 PM

My daughter flew ALB-MSP-AMS-BGO about a week ago. None of her items were missing, but she did find some interesting additions. Among her belonging were: one shoe, a loofah-like sponge (in the shoe) and several prescriptions in her bag.

I called the person whose name was on the scripts (US) and she said she hadn't traveled since last summer and didn't recall losing anything. It made me wonder where these items had been all this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -