THAT JUST ISN'T FAIR!

Search

THAT JUST ISN'T FAIR!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THAT JUST ISN'T FAIR!

Ok, I know - and understand - that an airline has a right to change the schedule whenever they want ... but I also have a right to be upset!!

I spent extra money on my airline tickets to get a great schedule, and now the schedule is changed!!

So now I will be arriving into Boston at 3:30 instead of 1:30 - Now I won't get to my B&B until around 6
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:28 AM
P_M

When they change the schedule, are they obligated to give a refund on request, anyone?
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM

As far as I know, there's a range that qualifies as normal schedule changes and 2 hours falls under that. The airlines would owe you nothing. If it was a larger change like 8 or 9 hours, the story may be different.

I'm not sure on the compensation, but I had the same question when our flights moved about 3 hours. I was told there was no recourse, as long as it fell in the "normal" parameters. Oh, and I think the parameters are different for domestic and international flights.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my experience.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM

Anytime there is a scedule change, you can and will get a full refund. BUT, is that an option if the flight is only couple of weeks or few days away? So what if you get a full refund but then have to pay premium prices on a different airline? or there are no seats available at all?

Call the airline and ask to be reaccomodated on an earlier flight if it's that important. They will, as long as there are seats available, and they will do it witout any change fees.

Just a reminder, be civil, have your options researched, and don't blame the agent. S/he had nothing to do with the change. If you want the agent to help you, treat the agent with respect and you will be surprised how easy it is most of the time.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:00 AM
mjz

This happened to me a few weeks ago on an AA non stop from LGA to MCI. I was scheduled to leave at around 10:00 am and they re-scheduled me on a 6:30 pm. I politely informed AA that this would not work for my schedule and requested that I be put on a specific flight number. They agreed and gave me a free upgrade to boot.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:57 PM

P_M,
I've been able to get a full refund from Alaska in the past for a 2.5 hour schedule change. At the time they had no alternative flights that would work for me.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:02 PM

I recently rec'd a full refund when Independence changed its schedule and the change was only 30 minutes.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM

So now I'm confused. When our schedule was changed, I called Delta and they told me that I would get no compensation if I didn't like their changes since it was only 2 hours. Did she just lie to me or what?
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:09 PM

You apparently asked for compensation in addition to the flight. What people here have been saying is that you can get your money back, or possibly get changed to another flight without penalty, but compensation in addition to the flight is what you get when, for instance, you fly the first leg, but miss a connection because of equipment or crew problems. I think the rule in that case (for domestic flights) remains that you get no compensation if they get you to your ultimate destination late, but within 4 hours of your scheduled arrival.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:55 AM

That makes much more sense now- thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 07:08 AM

radiofanatic - thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience with them when I changed my flight time last minute and they didn't charge me anything.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 11:18 AM

When I have had unacceptable flight changes, I have found the flight I wanted and called the airline and been placed on the other flight with no penalty.

The time British Airways did it to me, BA ended up buying me a seat on another airline for my return.

Keith
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

I called Orbitz ... What I really wanted was a AA flight, but because my tickets "are owned by NWA" they are not authorized to change me to a different airline.

I can get a refund, but only the ticket price is refunded - which means I lose about $26 in fees (including fees for paper tickets) and then I would have to pay fees again...

So I guess I'll just leave it alone. I guess it could be a lot worse.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

I started reading some of my old posts (who knows why) and this one is making me pee on myself!! (Sorry for the visual!! ;-) )

My lasts words were " I guess it could be a lot worse." Guess what, it WAS a lot worse!!

I had paper tickets and somehow there was a BIG mistake! My ticket to Boston was MIA. Of course, I didn't know this and when I checked in the ditzy lady didn't catch it either! I handed her the ticket book. She said "these tickets say your flight is at _ (whatever the original time was)" I said "yeah, I know. It has been changed" (DUH!!) She looks it up and hands me a boarding pass ( I didn't notice my ticket wasn't in it! - But I DO KNOW I kept everything she gave me) I went through customs, everything. Then I go to board the plane and no ticket. I didn't understand what was going on.

Long story short, they took my luggage off the plane! Not only that, I had to pay for a reprinting of a new ticket PLUS a lost ticket fee. (Before that, they made me go all over the airport retracing my steps to find the ticket I didn't lose)I was hysterical. I was hungry and very upset. They put me on the next flight (2hr difference - but by the time I got my ticket and through customs again, I almost didn't make it - After waiting 20 mins in customs I explained I had already cleared and they let me go to the front - OR I WOULD HAVE MISSED IT!!)

When I got home I called the airline and demanded a refund. Turns out, the ticket was pulled by mistake on the way to Toronto.

What a mess!! It was very late by the time I got to my B&B.

Of course, this story is very funny now.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 04:44 PM

It's good that you can laugh about it now. Something should stand out: that paper tickets are the inferior choice when an e-ticket is available. In addition to costing extra money,(which is wasted), they do not respond to schedule changes and they can be misplaced. It's 2005. Use e-tickets unless there is no alternative.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

There was no alternative. I used Orbitz and I think it is their policy that you have to have paper when flying Internationally. (I was going from Atlanta to Toronto to Boston)- Not only did I NOT have a choice, it cost me about $20 for the "paper ticket fee"

Really, before this, I didn't even know they STILL had paper tickets! Who would choose them?? - But I still don't understand WHY I didn't have an option to use an e-ticket. I agree with you. It is definitely the "inferior."

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Geeze! No option and then they charge you an extra $20?! What a drag! I've sometimes had paper when there were different carriers involved in an itinerary.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 10:53 AM

I've been reading on this website (yes, on Fodor's!) from other posters that sometimes at boarding the agents tear off 2 tickets instead of 1.

Of course now everything is computerized, but if you still have paper tickets printed, be anal to check each time what you get back from an agent, or better yet, tear the ticket off yourself and make sure there is only one!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:15 AM

I have always been very anal about my plane tickets, and always check for all BP and unused flight coupons. I still have to use paper ticket occassionally, like a mixed CO/CX itinerary last winter to Hong Kong.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:09 PM

FYI only -

Paper tickets are not really "tickets".

It's only a receipt/confirmation of payment for passage on airline(s).

It's basically a cash coupon to be used in return for a boarding pass.

That's why it's important to safeguard all the coupons until the moment you need to redeem it.

In order for the airline to issue a boarding pass they need the coupon to collect their share of the money from a "central airline ticket bank". If the info needs to be looked up, the "bank" charges a fee and thus the charges to the passenger. If the paper ticket is completely lost, no refunds will be issued until all the dates of travel have passed and the "coupons" have not been used by anybody. So it's possible to be forced to buy a new ticket and only get your money back few months later if you loose the ticket.

Once everybody understands that concept, then maybe they will pay closer attention to what basically is more like money then a airline ticket.

ONTH, An electronic ticket is a real ticket. The payment has been noted in the airline(s) computer system and a ticket number has been issued against the payment. The boarding pass if lost can be reprinted as many times as needed, without any problems, as long as the identity is confirmed.

Hope this info helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -