Seat panic

Apr 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Seat panic

I hope this question doesn't sound as dumb to you as it does to me, but I've booked seats on United flights to London (from Albuquerque) and then returning we will leave from Edinburgh. Our seats are in row 31 for both flights and I'm panicking just thinking about sitting that far back in the plane. I get so claustrophobic and anxious the further back I sit. I know it's a freaky thing but my question is, is there any way to get seats closer to the front without paying extra for economy plus? That would add almost $500 to our tickets and that's just not doable. I called the airlines and talked with a representative and she insists that there is no other way to get a closer seat. Any tips on how I might snag a closer seat? We are going the end of September so it's a while yet but I'm already freaking.

Also, we will be flying part of the way on BMI and I've read here that UK baggage restrictions are enforced strongly. We are carrying on our luggage and I've bought a 21 inch bag. I know BMI's size requirement is 21.7 x 15.7 x 9.1 and they say that should include the handle and wheels. Should I try for a 19 inch bag and be extra safe or just chance it. I don't want to check any luggage if at all possible so I'd like to know before we go.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM

First of all, please list all flight numbers and plane types. And UA doesn't fly to EDI. From LHR to ORD, UA mostly use 777s. Row 31 is in the front of the rear cabin, which extends to Row 43.

If you want to get Economy Plus, one of you (the one that flies more UA) should buy the the Economy Plus Annual for $349:

https://www.unitedpromotions.com/epahome/control/epa

That person plus one other who's flying the same itinerary can get E+ access for full year. That's the much cheaper way to do it. But again, that's only on UA metals. I don't know your itinerary, as some of them may be on partner flights without E+.

As for you bag, why not get a tape measure and measure your current one first?
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Both long flights will be on 777s so it sounds like I may have the best seat I'm going to get unless I go E+. I have thought about your suggestion and it would be cheaper than just paying for both of us. I have measured my bag and even though it's a 21", with the handle and wheels it measures about 22 1/2" so hopefully BMI won't find that too big. Thanks for your help.
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM

Since I'm also claustrophobic, and have to fly all the time -the trick that works for me is to make sure I have an aisle seat. I tend to get quite nervous if I don't. Just a thought...
Apr 22nd, 2009, 04:42 AM

I agree with Debi. Get an isle seat. That way you can get up when you need to.
Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:36 PM

My suggesting.. Xanax. Seriously, if you are going to freak out for that long of a flight talk to your MD. There is no need to spend that long agitated and upset.

As for your bag... it's too big. European airlines tend to be STRICT and handles and wheels count! Don't be surprised when they make you check it!