Reload this Page >

SCREAMING Kids On Flights!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:01 PM
XXX

My Inlaws just got back last night on a flight from Dallas to Seattle. A Lady had a toddler in a carseat behind my inlaws. The toddler cried and screamed the entire flight while the mom took a nap. Every once in a while she would wake up and tell the kid to close his eyes. <BR>What does another passenger do in this situation? It was awful for the people around this child and the child. <BR>I would have woke up the mom or caregiver and said something. He sat in that seat for 4 hours without any attention, food or water.<BR>Please give honest answers and not some snotty remarks.<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Frances

Push the flight attendant button and ask them to either move you to another seat or to fix the problem.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:55 AM
denise

Trying being on a flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong with about fifty screaming 1 year olds and younger. Four hours is nothing.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:38 AM
LKM

That bothers me more for the misery the child is feeling than for the misery the passengers are feeling.<BR><BR>For them, my favorite solution for all kinds of similar problems (party-makers in hotels, loud airconditioners, etc.):<BR><BR>earplugs

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:32 AM
xxx

Turn around and ask the parents if they are going to do anything about it.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 11:28 AM
sss

I would have asked the mom to try to calm the kid or play with him. It doesn't take much to distact them. She was rude anyway you look at it. I don't know what the FA's could have done but i would have atleast asked them if they could try something. That had to be a miserable flight for the kid and anyone sitting around him.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 02:44 PM
D

I have both good ear plugs and noise cancelling headphones. Makes my travel a lot easier.<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Kris

I had a toddler behind me who started screaming on takeoff and showed no signs of stopping. Someone called the FA and she said it was probably that the child's ears hadn't equalized. The FA asked the (very young) mother if she had any Afrin or other decongestant, but she didn't. As luck would have it I had just bought a bottle (I never travel without it!) and it still had the safety seal on it. I offered it to the mother and she and the FA put a couple of drops in the child's nose. Viola, the kid stopped screaming within 10 minutes! I can't count the number of thank-you's I got from neighbors!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:40 PM
xxx

I never flew anywhere when my boys were young without a bottle of dimeatap. It was recommended by our pediatrician and regular doctor. It made the difference between ear aches or a pleasant flight. I gave it to every mother on the flight who was willing to try it. I got many of thank you's. It was a matter of the kids ears being sensative to the cabin pressure changes that caused them pain then giving them drugs to keep them doped up.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 07:40 AM
bob

I honestly have never tried this myself, but I wonder if it would help to travel with a big box of salt water (or other kind) of really chewy taffy. If this kid was old enough to have teeth, you could offer them a bunch of pieces of taffy to keep the kid's mouth occupied (and chewing could help with the ear thing as well). If the rude sleeping mother has a problem with it them perhaps she should wake up and fulfill her responsibilities. Another tip, bring a bunch of those little Trident pieces of gum. Turn around and ask the kid how many pieces he thinks he can chew and keep chewing for the entire flight. Tell the little terror that you will give him a dollar when the plane lands if he can put as many pieces as possible into his mouth (without choking of course) and chew that gum throughout the entire flight. Since this is all theory, someone can try it and let us all know if it works.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Don't Think So

Bob,<BR><BR>Nice try on the gum idea, but with this brat (mother made him that way), he would probably chew with his mouth open and then pop/snap his gum. This could be justification for quiet strangulation of mom.<BR><BR>Don't Think So

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:02 AM
X

For a drug free approach, try giving little ones a pacifier or bottle - also equalizes the presure. If that doesn't work, bring on the Benadryl.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Honest flyer

Cure for the problem kids (behind you) of the typical &quot;my kid is perfect&quot; parent is to ask the parent to control their kid (don't say brat). If that fails, recline your seat to the fullest and keep it there when they get served a meal.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:52 AM
bj

At the end of my last flight from Amsterdam to San Francisco (11 hours) with the ever present screaming children I asked to flight attendant when they would start scheduling an adult only flight once a week. Sorry, I have absolutely no sympathy for the children or the parents. Children who are not old enough to behave on an airlplane have no business on an airplane. If parents have to wait until their kids grow up before taking a European tour, tough. I'VE HAD IT WITH KIDS ON AIRPLANES!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Ayhoal

On my last flight, there were some very loud inebriated men who made the entire flight a raucous overnight party. At the end of the flight, I asked the flight attendant when they would start scheduling non-alcohol flights. I have no time for people who convert the entire flight into their own private entertainment center. I'VE HAD IT WITH LOUD OR DRUNK PEOPLE ON AIRPLANES!!!!!!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:36 AM
JCE

BJ..Maybe they can schedule an as@#$le only flight and you can fly right in seat 1A. What nerve,ask for an adult only flight. Do you want that with adult only films?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:05 AM
r-travels

I wish the airlines (even Southwest) would reserve the seats for those with kids, and board them LAST. Let them stay in the terminal &amp; burn up energy (maybe even encourage a little last minute running) until the last minute. Instead, they're the first boarded, and sit in their seats belted (yes-I know you'd like to belt them too &lt;G&gt getting all antsy before the craft has even left the gate. I've been on flights where we sat at the gate, door open, for over 1/2 hour. This suggestion won't fix all problems of kids, but I think it would help a lot.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:15 AM
x

r-travels...Boo-hoo. had to sit for 1/2 hour with kids. I do board last with my kids ,I agree with you. But there could be worse things in life,agreed?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:58 PM
x

r-travels...we board early with our children...BUT when the plane lands we also sit and wait and get off last...letting everyone else go since they are so much more important and always in a hurry...wouldn't want to get in their way.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Peaceful One

BJ: I'm right there with you on the adult flight! I am fed up with it, too. Drive to grandma's or wait on the European trip. Children are a choice, there is no shortage of them and the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for the luxury that others take to have them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -