SCARED TO FLIGHT HELP !!

Search

SCARED TO FLIGHT HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCARED TO FLIGHT HELP !!

well i live in Italy and i really want to go back to my country New York...the problem is that i am so scared fo flight i really dont know what to do....i was thinking a cruise but is so expensive for me and then i have some problems with my passport so i dont know what to do...can anyone give me some tip or tell me something because when i think about the ocean beneath me i really go bad....
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:12 AM
J62

#1 you need to get your passport situation straightened out. If you are US citizen the visit the US embassy or consulate closest to you http://www.usembassy.gov/. You won't be going anywhere without a passport.

#2. Flights from Europe to the US actually don't fly straight across the Atlantic ocean - they follow a route that is called the great circle. Therefore for most of the flight they are a relatively short distance from land, or even over land like England, Scotland, then Canada for much of the way.
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:21 AM

I don't mean to sound blunt but there are only two ways to get from Italy to New York - one is to fly and the other is to go by boat - you have to choose one or the other.

Flying is the the quickest and most economical. If you have a fear of flying nothing anyone on this forum can say will put you at ease. To YOU the feart that most people believe is unfounded is REAL. You should seek professional help from a doctor or psychiatrist. They will help you overcome your phobia.

While you are solving that issue you'll have to work out your "passport problems". You don't say what those problems might be so again we can only give genral advise. You imply that New York is "your country" - if by that you mean you are a citizen of the USA than follow the advice given by J62 and go to the US Embassey for assistance. If you are a citizen of another go to the Embassy of the country that issued your passport as they should be able to assist you.

Simply put you need a valid passport to travel internationally.
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

well guy thanks a lot and yes i am a us citizen and the problem with my passport is tha i have been in italy for mor than 3 month and is not good because the only vacation time that we have to go from a country to another is 90 days and i have one year and 5 months.....well again thanks
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
First off, you need to get straightened out with Italy over-staying your 90 day tourist permit. I would be contact an Embassy, or even the airlines or cruiselines to see their requirements. You'll have to make your paperwork right somehow before going anywhere.
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:28 PM

With all due respec,t you are spending a significant amount of time vaguely explaining yourself on various travel forums; if you are a U.S. citizen, and hold a U.S. passport, you really should go the Embassy and ask for advice, especially before you plunk down big money on a cruise home. At this point, no matter how you explain anything, you are illegal in Italy and should get some legal advice before you ask how to sail home.
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM

How did you get to Italy? I am curious, what is your country of birth? With all due respect you seem to be in a panic and posting on numerous sites, but not contributing some info that may be helpful. Your english useage is not that of a native speaker. What about the numerous Royal Carribean and Holland America sailings from Italy to US??
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:24 PM

First things first... get the passport thing figured out as soon as possible. Talk to the US Embassy, they will help you with that. If you're over your allowed time, don't let it go any longer before fixing it.

As for being afraid to fly, do you ride in cars or on a moped? Everytime before you get in a vehicle, do you give it a complete walk around? Do you have a team of mechanics look your vehicle between every long drive? Do you have advanced computer systems to detect any leaks or failures in your engine?

I don't do that either. I can guarantee you that you are much safer getting into a commercial airliner than you are getting into your own vehicle. I'm a pilot and know all of the regulations private pilots have to follow for tiny airplanes. There are thousands more regulations for commercial airliners. All the time where they make you wait for a mechanical failure... isn't for an actual failure, it's for an indicator light saying there could potentially be a condition that might lead to a failure.

The commercial airliners have some of the best pilots in the world. It's like having a professionally trained chauffer drive you around. Many of the pilots have years of military flight experience and/or over 20 years of commercial flight experience.

If you're traveling with a companion, ask your doctor for a prescription for a VERY mild sedative. Take that before you board so that it kicks in around the time of takeoff. DO NOT start drinking as a way to deal with the fear of flying. Flying drunk will not help you.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM

I am very claustrophobic, and its getting worse with age.... So lately I've been taking my Valium an hour before boarding, and keep some handy thruout the flight....

The name of the game is STATISTICS.... We hear and see a LOT more car crashes, than airliners crashing -- which are quite rare.... So as long as you have the right attitude, considering your extremely low chances of being involved in a plain crash, you should be able to control your fear....

...But I still use my Valium before a flight....
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
See your physian and (as above) get a prescription for Valium or Xanas. These are anti-anxiety medications that help tremendously for a person in your situation.
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

well thanks suze and mammamia2 i really feel that i am not normal because i can take a airplain, for example from italy to london but looking and knowing that there is ground...not the sea, because now that i am going away from italy i will take an airplain to london...and i really feel like nothing also because more than two hours i can not be so i dont know what is my problem..just to think that if something happens in the airplain it will end up there in the ocean in 2 secons and there will not be no one..i really dont know...i feel very bad..but anyways thanks a lot for your help !!!
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM

cruising back to US is a wonderful idea. I live in a coastal town in Italy and see every day a lot of US/Canadian tourists disembarking in our harbour for day trips to Florence.

Some airlines, like Lufthansa, do some seminars for passengers having fear of flying. You may check the below link and call the airline for further information or checking also other airlines if you prefer....
https://www.lufthansa.com/online/por...en&cid=1000390
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

fabio grazie mile !!!!!!!!!!
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM

prego !! (you are welcome !!)

good luck !
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM

GROIN (get really over it now)...Lots more scary things in the world....and when 'your number's up, it's up>
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

wowo that was a bit....
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:33 AM

No it wasn't and the word is airplane, that might help us out.
Seriously, if you can fly from Italy to London, not sure how the water thing makes it worse. How did you get to Italy in the first place?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:40 PM

How did you get to Italy in the first place?

Anyway, other than drugs for a one time trip, the cure for your disorder is exposure to the thing you're afraid of.

I also had an irrational fear (and it IS irrational) of flying over water, which is a bit of a drawback since we need to travel to Honolulu 3-4x a year from the west coast on business.

So for my exposure therapy I took a nonstop flight to New Zealand, and of course a return, for a conference where I was presenting a paper and couldn't back out.

Just to really turn the screws, I also flew up and down North and South Island of New Zealand in those tiny planes, the ones where they have these 12 year old pilots with bangs and chewing gum (well just one young looking gal I admit).

The flight to Europe doesn't count because like the poster above says, they mostly fly over land (i.e., along Newfoundland once they cross the Atlantic).

Surprise, I no longer get nervous on the Honolulu flight. After all it's a mere 5 hours over water. And I did not take drugs; just gutted it out; I did take Air NZ's economy plus to get a bit more room, and I had the front row, next to a generally calm FC cabin with pod beds that made me extremely jealous.

Once I had a young guy next to me get a panic attack; I coached him to breathe,asked him why he was going to the US (to visit his parents--he was in school in France) and had him visualize his mom's face when she saw him get off the plane. Anyway he calmed down and the neighboring passengers were appreciative.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

ANNW thank you very much and let me tell you mu big problem is when i flight overland...if I see ground there is not a problem but I will see what to do to handle these problems and I will go back to NYC with a cruise the plane I will take from Italy to London is only 1 hour and 55 minutes also I will be looking down there knowing that there is not water...I wat this problem top go because is too much for me and it blocks my opportunities...I am glad you told me those things the helped me...than you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -