Risks of booking a flight on a new route

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For spring break next year, we're renting a house in Jamaica with some other families. I found a non-stop flight on AA from O'Hare to Montego Bay for $416 and have the flights on hold. I know it's early days but this seemed like a pretty good fare for a busy time of year and I like the idea of flying nonstop, especially because we have three small kids flying with us When I received the email from AA confirming the hold, the email noted that "Service between ORD and MBJ is subject to government approval." I called AA and apparently what this means is that this is a new route for AA- they start up on March 8, 2009 and they do not yet have government approval to fly the route.

My question for any of you is: how uncomfortable should I be with this. I know there are no guarantees in life but is this corporate CYA or is there a real chance that the route won't be approved? Part of me thinks that AA would not be selling the tickets now if there were a significant chance that the route wouldn't be approved. By the way, they told me that if the route is not approved and the flight is cancelled, they would route me another way (presumably through Miami) for the same fare, but I'm thinking if this happens within a few weeks or even months of departure, those seats could be hard to get for those routes in late March.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Any suggestions as to where I could go for more information? Or am I worried about nothing? Thanks
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM

No way. Wait until the route is approved. Or use a different airline especially if you are going to place a non-refundable down payment on your rental.

And of course they will take your money. They will need it to pay their fuel bills.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM

The route will most likely be approved, but AA may not start service. All airlines are looking for routes to cut, not add, right now.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. rkkwan, isn't cancellation for economic reasons a risk with any flight these days? Are you saying it's a greater risk because it's a new route? Would I be better off waiting? Purchasing a ticket through Miami? We're committed to the house rental.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Yes, I am saying that. New routes often take months to become profitable while the airline slowly "grow" the business. But now, they can't afford to give a new route time to grow.

Jetblue and DL are not starting their new flights to Colombia. UA and US are delaying their new flights to China (and probably will never start them in a year's time either).
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 01:18 PM

I disagree. I would have no problems purchasing the tickets as long as it's straight from AA.

The worst that can happen is this. If they don't start the non-stop, they will put you on a 1 connection through Miami or San Jose.

That's a great fare. I would jump on it.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Oh, I have no problem buying the ticket either. Just saying that there's certainly a chance the route will be flown.