Reload this Page >

Ride Sharing on Planes

Search

Ride Sharing on Planes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Karen K

Ride Sharing on Planes

Ran across this site that shows how to get cheap flights on charter aircraft and even share flights on private planes - looks like a neat idea, has anyone heard of this before?<BR><BR>http://www.rideguide.com/fly

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 03:02 AM
xx

No advertising on this board, please

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Mark

Ditto: This is advertising. No no.<BR><BR>But also: if you ride in a private plane, you have none of the safeguards you'd have with a commercial line. Maybe it's a great pilot; maybe it's someone who cuts corners or takes unacceptable risks, has had just 2 hrs. over the minimum to keep his license; maybe the plane's in good shape, maybe it's not, etc. etc. <BR><BR>Also be aware that private plane owners and pilots have a powerful lobby and have often managed to ride roughshod over municipalities and larger govt. organs to resist any kind of supervision, limitation, regulation re:airspace use, airport use, pilot supervision, etc. They are the most unregulated part of the national transportation system. They went to work almost immediately after 9/11 to get back into the air without any new security measures. Effectively ANYONE can climb into a plane, esp. at a private airport, and fly pretty much anywhere they want -- no worries about passports, backgkround checks, bomb sniffing dogs, metal detectors, etc. They have to file a flight plan, but they don't have to follow it. They are supposed to stay out of "no fly" zones and risk being chased by a fighter jet if they do, but by the time they catch up with the small plane, who knows what could happen? Ask anyone who has been involved in tracking illegal drug trade and they will tell you that private and charter aircraft are able play an important part because of the lack of controls on the traffic.<BR><BR>In the interest of "balanced" reporting, I will say that they have done some "angel's" work by ferrying patients around the country for special treatment and similar good-neighbor work -- but that's the first thing they trot out when they are asked to accept noise or curfew regulations, or to submit to more stringent security checks, or anything else that they don't like.<BR><BR>Finally, the numbers of these craft in the air are growing, which can only complicate the safety and security of everyone in the air -- and the ground. <BR><BR>But sure, go ahead, check your life insurance, hope you know something about the pilot and the plane, and try not to fly anywhere over your own town.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Penny

Mark,<BR><BR>What an insightful response. You have raised questions and issues that I have never thought about before. Thanks for teaching me something I didn't know before reading your post.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 05:58 PM
mathew

I ran across this message on Fodor's board. It looks like advertising to me. I guess it did not work first time<BR><BR>Author: Mike ([email protected])<BR>Date: 11/13/2001, 06:12 am<BR>Message: Ran accross this site with a cool idea kind of Hitching and ride sharing on planes no less...never heard of this before <BR><BR>http://www.rideguide.com/fly <BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR>

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 06:30 PM
JJ

It's clear both Karen and Mike are airheads.