Review: PE on AA CDG-PHL (return)

Nov 24th, 2019, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Review: PE on AA CDG-PHL (return)

Overall Impression: PE on my AA flights between CDG and PHL was great and I would do it again in a minute. I booked window seats in row 7 (Airbus A330-200, aka A332) both ways. At CDG, I had priority check-in and security, which meant I was finished with both very quickly -- no priority security line access at PHL, but as I checked in quite early, I was still through pretty fast. On AA, PE boards in Group 4, just behind business class and through the priority boarding lane. The seats were wider and more comfortable than on Lufthansa PE on the FRA-PHL route I had taken several times before. Comfortable noise-cancelling headphones. Meal service was better than economy's and my meals were fine if not memorable (comparable to a better quality microwave dinner). We were allowed to use the business class lavs at the back of the biz section. The footrest didn't work on my flight from CDG, but it doesn't really make much difference to overall comfort.

Note: on the A332, the window seats in row 8 have no windows.

Luggage also gets priority handling, which meant my bag came out ahead of most. On my return to CDG, my suitcase was about the 10th to arrive on the carousel.

Round Trip PE Airfare: 955 Swiss francs.

Kudos: First, to the AA check-in agent at PHL. I hadn't flown AA in years, so had no idea what my FF number was. She looked it up, made sure I got credit for the round trip and wrote down the number on my boarding pass for future reference. Second, to Mother Nature. The flight from CDG to PHL was smooth as glass, not a single bump the whole way. On the return to CDG, there was just some minor, barely noticeable choppy air between Greenland and Ireland. Tailwinds meant we landed 45 minutes early, so we had no other flights competing for passport control...there were only three people ahead of me in line in the "all passports" lane.

Recommendations: for autumn/winter flights to CDG from PHL, take an aisle seat instead of a window. You don't see much during take-off and landing and it's easier to get to the lavs from an aisle seat. Also, although it's no big deal to get a cab from CDG to central Paris, I booked a car service (Victor Cabs) that met me right at the Starbucks in the arrival area. I also used Victor for my trips to CDG and to Gare de Lyon from our Paris hotel. Costs a little more but worth it IMO.

Last edited by WeisserTee; Nov 24th, 2019 at 04:29 AM.
Nov 24th, 2019, 09:02 AM

Last week we did PHL to MAD and return, both times in PE, both times in Row 8 on an AA A332.

The footrests have two settings, to get it to drop to the lower setting it must be pushed up as high as possible and then pushed down.
Anything in the seat-back pocket, a bottle for example, will not allow it to be raised high enough.

Row 8 also is the last row in the PE section, the recline is limited by the bulkhead .

The engineers that decided on the placement of the headphone jack should loose their licence. It is buried deep in the back of the armrest it total darkness. Impossible to reach with the seat-belt fastened,

We were no so lucky with the food.
Dec 1st, 2019, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

I know how the footrest works, mine was simply broken on one part of the journey. As for the headphone jack, it was annoying on the first leg of my trip, but once I figured it out, no problem finding and using it on the return trip. Agree that it's a stupid placement.

AA has now added PE to their Zurich-Philadelphia route, so will happily take them again. It will be cheaper and more efficient to fly from/to Zurich, but will miss the short visits to Paris before and after the flights that I had this year.