Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Reclining one's seat-do you consider it rude?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it an absolute no-no for the person seated in front of you on a plane to recline their seat?

Do you consider it okay as long as it's outside the meal/snack times when people have their trays down?

Or, should it only be reclined on longer flights when most people want to sleep?

What is considered etiquette? What do you find reasonable?

Bloom
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:00 AM
pat

We have had so many discussions on this already. Did you do a search?
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

No, as I thought a new post on the topic might draw fresh answers, possibly from other new posters.

Bloom
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Very recent looooong thread about the same issue:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34930501
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:18 AM

I think it is just "plane" rude during the boarding process. However, if the house lights are turned off and it is an overnight flight, then I think it should be expected.

Airlines should remind people to bring their chairs forward during meal times. It is easy to forget they they are back--they don't go back that far.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM

I am a tall person. When someone in front of me reclines it becomes hard for me to be comfortable.

Is it rude of me to keep accidently kneeing the guy's seatback in front of me as I almost constantly move my legs around to try and be comfortable?
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM
HKP

NO NO NO NO NO don't let's start this up again, with the You Can't Boss Me Around seat Nazis!! That means BOTH the Don't-You-Dare-Put-Your-Seat-Back-Or-I'll-Make-Your-Life-Miserable people and the It's-My-Seat-And-I'll-Jolly-Well-Do-Whatever-I-Damnwell-Please!

Go back, read the old thread, and know that the ONLY answer is common courtesy, going BOTH WAYS!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Wow.

Okay, so newer Fodorites can't post an old topic? I confess, I didn't do a search because I've only been active in this forum since early spring, and I hadn't seen the reclining seat topic since that time. My bad. Can someone please point me to the detention room? Perhaps I could peruse the rule book while there.

Sorry for being cheeky- just trying to maintain my sense of humour.

But seriously now, for those of you who feel the need to dictate to others what they should or should not post, or that they should do research before posting, please try to do so with a little more tact and patience.

And Wally and Morgan- thank you for your input. Hopefully others who didn't read or post on that earlier thread won't be hesitant to give us their input too.

A properly chastised Bloom
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Bloom - How throughly refreshing to see a newbie so graciously acknowledge and accept the chastisement they so richly deserve. Did you by any chance attend parochial schools?
;-)
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Bloom, the seat issue certainly is a sore subject.

The person in front feels he is justified in reclining the seat, the person in back feels they are being crushed because the guy in front wants 2 inches more comfort.

When you find the correct etiquette you will have to tell us all about it so we will know how to behave.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM

What an interesting topic! We should also start a thread about tipping.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 04:25 AM
HKP

Bloom, I apologize if you thought I was yelling at you personally -- sorry.

It's absolutely fair for a newbie to post something that's been covered before, but what should have happened is that someone directed you to the old thread and left it at that. I was yelling at those who started right in with the same-old-same-old hardline positions.

That said, I'm a little surprised you are surprised that this is a contentious, prickly topic. My response was emphatic because I was remembering how ugly the previous thread got -- although I guess no one should be surprised that people who want to dictate to others on planes are also people who will be dictatorial here.

So, a gentle word of advice: if you've seen things get ugly on a plane (in an airport, etc.), figure a thread about it here will get ugly, too.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

HKP- To be honest, I did not know that this topic had been the source of a ‘contentious, prickly’ thread because, as I said, I wasn’t aware of that older post until it was brought to my attention.

I can assure you that the motive behind my question/post was quite innocent.
I’m going to be on a flight this weekend, and I just wondered how people generally handle the reclining seats thing these days. It actually didn’t occur to me to do a search and read through older posts, and I sincerely didn’t think there would be anything wrong with asking for input on a subject I’ve never had the chance to discuss with others.

I apologize for resurrecting this controversial topic. Lesson learned.

A reformed Bloom

(hopefully)
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:24 AM
HKP

Have a good flight, Bloom, but what happens re:reclining seatbacks will depend on which airplane, who sits in front of you, and who sits in back of you. I wish you a short person in both cases! ;-)
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:37 AM
HKP

... short, but not because the person is under 12, which will present you which a whole new challenge!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Maybe you will get lucky and get the bulkhead row and not have any heads in your face.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Bloom, You are absolutely right to revisited this topic. Yes, there was quite a debate over it awhile back. So what?

Almost every topic gets revisited here on Fodor's. As you have pointed out, there are always new posters here on the board and they can't be expected to dig through old threads about reclining seats, no matter how riveting.

Besides, someone may have changed their mind, like me.
I was once one of those It's-My-Seat-And-I'll-Jolly-Well-Do-Whatever-I-Damn-well-Please types. Now, that I've had the dreadful experience of being trapped for 8 hours on a United 747 I have been tamed.
Each time anyone moved, we had to consult with our neighbors. To put your seat back without making sure someone wasn't wearing extra thick socks could have resulted in serious injury. I still believe in reclining my seat but will always give fair warning to the person behind me.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:42 AM

I remember being on a flight a long time ago and a young kid behind me kept taping my head that he could not see the big screen monitor. I put the chair back and that took care of that.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM
pat

Anyone remember the thread about putting your window shade down? I think that one went on for about 2 YEARS!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Update:

On a recent outgoing flight, I tried reclining my seat just a tad and it wouldn't go back. (Both seats beside me reclined back just fine.)

On flight back, I asked person behind me if they minded if I reclined my seat. They were so happy and impressed that I'd asked, they enthusiastically replied "Why yes, of course!"

Is there a lesson to be learned here?

Bloom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -