Question about Name on Passport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I will be flying via Korea Air to Malysia in October. She just bought her ticket. When buying her ticket and giving information she was only asked her first and last name. She was not asked about a middle name. Her full name with a middle name is on her passport. I know that starting August 15th TSA is requiring that one's name on their boarding pass match their ID exactly. Is this going to be a problem? We are flying out of JFK.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I just posed this question to United, as I also have flights in October and my middle name is on my passport but not on my ticket. I was informed that this policy won't officially go into effect until spring 2010 - apparently the airlines are in the process of making this transition and are including full names on new tickets, but are not required to change names on tickets already booked.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

If you're concerned, you might give your airline a call and verify it with them directly.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM

The airlines are to begin asking for this info for tickets sold from Aug 15 onward. If you already have a ticket, with first and last names as they appear on your passport, you should be fine. This NYTimes article may be helpful

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/tr...ewanted=1&_r=1
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the valuable info!
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM

I'd got a free ticket once and the airline made a mistake with the name, the first and last name were correct there was a middle inital which the airline for whatever reasons printed on the ticket, the middle initial wasn't the same as my middle initial. This was before the internet is as we know it today, airlines would fax or mail itineraries, I'd had my itinerary faxed to my travel agent. When I picked up the ticket I noticed the middle initial, he advised me not to call the airline as they'd flag the file. If you are going to call, don't give them your record locator or name and just make a general inquiry.