question about BCN to paris (CDG or ORY)

Mar 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

question about BCN to paris (CDG or ORY)

i posted this in the europe forum ... i haven't gotten any responses and i'm wondering if i posted it in the incorrect forum. anyway, i'll try posting here to see if someone can help ... tks!

--------------------------------------------

hello fodorites,

we're returning to paris this fall but going to barcelona for a few days ahead of time.

i'm looking to book a flight from BCN to paris for october 1.

there are three carriers i'm considering: vueling (52.5 euros, to CDG), easyjet (39.5 euros, to CDG), clickair (52.5 euros, to ORY). note that the fares quoted include taxes and luggage fees.

luggage restrictions are almost the same for all three carriers. departure times are either identical or similar.

from CDG or ORY, we are planning to take RER into the city. we're staying @ an apartment in st. germain.

can you please tell me:

1. which carrier you would prefer and why? i'm leaning towards the easyjet booking ... as i can't see any major difference except for cost.

2. how early should i book? will this fare go on sale? or is this as good as it gets?

thanks!!

lilaki
Mar 9th, 2009, 02:39 PM

lilaki

I can't answer any of your questions about the specific airlines but for your second question:

2. There is no way of knowing if the fares will go lower or higher. Sales are unpredictable. I don't think you need to book today for October 1; but that's just my opinion.

You may want to sign up for email alerts from each company or some sort of fare watch messaging, but I'm not sure that the latter covers all discount airlines.

I'm cheap and a worry wart; combining those things, I would probably book the easyjet soon, but again, that's just me.

Is there are cost difference between transportation from Orly and/or CDG? I think the ratp.fr website might have information on that...

good luck, and I'll be watching your thread here, as I might be interested in the same type of flights.
Mar 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM

ORY is going to be the closer airport to St Germain. It's much smaller, almost funky.

You will find a ton of ATM machines on St Germain.

I usually stay in the 6th Ar, and within 3-4 blocks of St. Germain.

Pulling out my GaultMillau book, it says that "The Orlyval system is a quick and carefree way to reach the airport, take the RER Line B from, say, Chatelet, then change at Antony for the driverless elevated car that drops passengers off at both Orly terminals."

You might want to go to www.google.com.fr (for the French Google) and google up orlyval. You will most probably find an English translation and the current hours and prices.
Mar 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM

One additional comment.

I flew easyjet a couple of years ago, and they are most stringent on their weight restrictions.
Mar 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

hi folks,

tks for all the comments.

i did some digging and it looks like the transportation cost from CDG to paris or ORY to paris is about the same (a couple of euros difference). transportation time from ORY seems to be about the same as from CDG (maybe 15-30 mins different when all is said and done).

so, i think i will go with the easyjet option to CDG to save 26 euros (two of us traveling) ... if that fare is no longer available, then i'll go with the clickair flight to ORY.

tks!!
Mar 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM

i took one international flight on Click, Valencia-LHR in March of 2007. This was not by choice, but courtesy of an Iberia cancellation. I will not get on one of their flights again. Everything about the flight, with the exception of not bending the airplane, was terrible, from check in, to waiting area, to terrible seating and non-existent in-flight service.
Mar 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM

tuscanlifeedit: Orly is about 1-2€ more than CDG on the RER, because of the Orlyval at Orly. Orlyval is an automated train that stops at both terminals and runs to the Anthony RER B station.

Rastaguytoday: Orly is closer, but when you factor Orlyval into the equation the time difference would typically be under 5 minutes.
Mar 10th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

hi all,

just a quick update ...

i decided to book the easyjet flight ... i hadn't planned to book so early but i got a little nervous when i did a price comparison and found that the vueling flight went up significantly. i paid just over 70 euros for two of us including bags ... a fairly good deal, i think!

thanks to all for your help/advice.

Search this Thread