Qantas versus United Airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Sydney Australia and have a choice between Qantas and United. I would be interested in your comments regarding the pros and cons of each airline before we make a final decision.

We are going on a cruise from Sydney that ends up in Honolulu. Does Qantas fly from Honolulu to LAX? I haven't been able to find anything regarding this but Hawaiian Airlines keeps coming up when I search. Is Hawaiian a partner of Qantas?

Our plan is to go a week before the cruise departs from Sydney to do some siteseeing and stay a few days in Honolulu when we disembark.

Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated. We are a couple of active seniors.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Think about a frequent flyer program. Qantas is a member of One World, American and United is a member of Star Alliance. Miles is miles, they might come in handy some day.

Of course, both AA and United fly from HNL to LAX.

Figure out what types of planes you will be on through respective web sites or partners (AA for Qantas). Go to www.seatguru.com and figure out your seat.

More than likely UA is a 777, which is a 2-5-2 configuration and Qantas is a 3-4-3 configuration. If leg room is a concern, you can pick up 3-5" by 'upgrading' to economy plus on UA.

Finally, as Dustin Hoffman put it 'Qantas has never crashed.'
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:09 PM

United uses 747s to Sydney and 757s or 767s from HNL to LAX (the 767 is better).
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:04 AM

If you plan to watch movies, Qantas wins hands down. Video on demand in coach (individual seatback monitors), free alcohol in coach and fasten seat belt sign goes off five minutes after take-off or the flight attendants stay seated.

You will also find the flight attendants friendlier and younger. However, if you are not a member of One World, then I would consider United.

Old May 11th, 2007, 06:29 PM

I have flown both United and Qantas within the past few months and I would say that Qantas is the way to go. I have some reviews of my flights at http://www.bombasticlife.com -- Look under "Things"