Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Pricing insanity - BOS-PHL $250 more coach than first class

Feb 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Booked short-notice business flight for DH BOS-PHL; down and back same day. Shocked to find fare was almost $650. Doing a more detailed search was able to book him on USAirways first class southbound and coach northbound for just over $400. (Book Friday - same trip today is even higher in coach - over $800)

This is completely ridiculous, but he will be happy to have a first class seat. Now I will know to check other fare classes when I book - never even considered this as a possible way to save money.
Feb 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Good tip!

This happened to me once on a Newark to Honolulu flight. I had to switch and stop in San Diego on my way to Honolulu instead. Between the change fee and cost of the seat to San Diego I was really looking at an expensive flight. For some reason, I checked first class and the EWR-San Diego-HNL seats were about $100 less than in economy. The savings covered my change fee, and with about 10 hours in the air, First class made a huge difference in my comfort.

I wonder if this happens when the economy section is nearly full, causing the remaining economy tickets to be at the top tier?
Feb 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM
esm

I have noticed that many one-way fares on AA (and sometimes Delta) are half of a round-trip. I don't look at business class but it has been useful to buy one-way coach on AA and return on Delta.
Feb 20th, 2011, 03:42 PM

We often combine AA and Delta for a better fare too.
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Have also noticed more one-way fares being just half of RT and do combine airlines. In case of BOS-PHL there is Southwest and USAir - which is part of the reason fares are so high. We can fly across the country for about half that much.
Feb 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM
esm

gail, fares have gone up in the past year. At least for the route we often travel which is midwest to southern California. And living in a smaller city which is only served by AA limits us even more. We have the option of driving to Chicago but that's a hassle especially in winter.
Feb 20th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Stop trying to rationalize air fare. It's very complicated with lots of fare classes - with huge difference between discount and non-discount fares. Just grab what you can find and be done with it.
Feb 21st, 2011, 06:09 AM

My Company just bought our teams ORD-PHX for $550, which is about the same as our upcoming ORD-CLT-PLS vacation fare which is now cheaper than our friends who we will be connecting with in CLT

Go figure